seekax

Mouse sensitivity

Question

51 answers to this question

What sort of sensitivity to top arena players use? I use 500 dpi 1.5 in-game no mouse accel in CSGO/cod1&4.

Minimum someone like Hal 9000 plays with 20cm/360 and i heard Gaiia has closer to 60cm/360, personal opinion is that anything under 15cm/360 would be really retarded (numbers are rough and word of mouth, could be old or just wrong)

According to your numbers you use 55.41cm/360

Minimum someone like Hal 9000 plays with 20cm/360 and i heard Gaiia has closer to 60cm/360, personal opinion is that anything under 15cm/360 would be really retarded (numbers are rough and word of mouth, could be old or just wrong)

According to your numbers you use 55.41cm/360

Tried this out and wow, perfect. Thank you very much.

what about mouse accel? what is the command?

I guess m_yaw and m_pitch won´t be avaiable yet.

what about mouse accel? what is the command?

I guess m_yaw and m_pitch won´t be avaiable yet.

I obviously have no idea about accel implementation in Reflex, or if they're even planning to include it, but one of the most efficient solutions is the QL Mouse accel driver for Windows by povohat. You don't have to worry about your mousefeel differing across games, as long as you are able to set the sensitivity to the same value in all of them.

AthoS likes this

thanks iridescent.. will try because i neeed accel!  newborn comented on irc they don´t have accel command yet.. 

This is Quake/Unreal style game, Im glad that my old high sensitivity will be useful again and we can all just stop with the bullshit spread by CS community that somehow lower dpi helps you to "pwn more noobs".

High DPI and decent sensitivity so that you can shoot at every corner of the screen with only a small flick of the wrist = best in such a fast paced game. By the time these CS fanboys drag their mouse half a meter accross the table they will be gibbed. GG!

furyaxsfigkjhn likes this

^regarding above, these kind of settings are entirely personal preference.

regarding accel, povohat's accel driver is by far the best and is used by mew, KovaaK, and others iirc.

A little bit of opinionated synopsis on the spectrum of sensitivities:

10 cm and below/360 - Unless you have achieved a high level of aim already in a similar title, it is definitely not recommended to learn on, too high.

12-30 cm/360 - mid-range, most quakers have sensitivities in this area; it is a happy medium between the precision needed for, say, LG tracking and the kind of fast twitch aiming you need at close range etc.

40-55 cm/360 - rarer, usually found among CS players and certain TF2 roles.

Varying levels of accel can bring up your overall sensitivity a small amount or a very large amount.

In addition, there are many other factors to take into consideration, such as the size of your mousepad, how much you reposition your mouse, etc.

On DPI, the lowest you can comfortably go is recommended. The higher the DPI, the bigger chance of jitter and other errors, especially on certain newer models.

Personal setting: 22cm/360 @ 800 DPI, no accel

I used to play Q2 Clanbase tourneys with 4cms/360, also CS series. I don't really see anything bad with it compared to lower sensitivity. 

Mainly because high sensitivity means that you do aiming with only your wrist, you don't actually need to move your hand which is by FAR more time consuming than quick wrist flick.

It will help you to be quicker with your reflexes because you remove the time needed for actual hand movement.

I used to play Q2 Clanbase tourneys with 4cms/360, also CS series. I don't really see anything bad with it compared to lower sensitivity. 

Mainly because high sensitivity means that you do aiming with only your wrist, you don't actually need to move your hand which is by FAR more time consuming than quick wrist flick.

It will help you to be quicker with your reflexes because you remove the time needed for actual hand movement.

Lower sens means that an enemy on your screen is represented by a larger space on your mousemat, essentially.

Lower sens means that an enemy on your screen is represented by a larger space on your mousemat, essentially.

Isn't that basically FOV, not sensitivity?

Isn't that basically FOV, not sensitivity?

No, a lower FOV means an enemy is represented by a larger space on your screen but the same space on your mousemat (sensitivity is not affected by FOV in reflex)

No, a lower FOV means an enemy is represented by a larger space on your screen but the same space on your mousemat (sensitivity is not affected by FOV in reflex)

Alright. I knew that, I think it was the wording that threw me off for a bit there. My apologies.

Once again, this time more precise.

387/dpi * 387/m_speed = cm360

m_speed = 387/(cm360 / (387/dpi))

Still only an approximation, but the results are far more accurate than the previous approach. I tested with 45cm, can't test with any higher than that.

Use http://www.mouse-sensitivity.com/if you don't know your cm360.

Did you test this on low sensitivities? Cause my whole game has felt kind of funky and ive been doing everything possible to try and figure out whats the difference. I did it for a friend too who uses about the same sensitivity and i got a crazy number that wasnt even close, i put that down to communication or numbers error but then i did some testing.

use a WMO @ 500hz - 400 dpi with 5 sensitivity in QL/Q3 - which translates to roughly 20.8 (20.78) - so by the formula 387/(20.8 / (387/400)) = 21.47 - after playing a bunch i decided to get out the measuring tap and test a little. After trying multiple resolutions and fovs i kept getting roughly 18cm/360 - i did this a half dozen times then tried to reverse the process and keep changing m_speed till i got a 360 close to 21cm.

In the end i found that my m_speed had to be about 17 to roughly get about 21cm, obviously measuring 360s with a measuring tape and trying to do a perfect 360 isnt the easiest so theres room there for wiggle.

If ive done something very wrong and im making this all up let me know, but when i went on Q3 and QL today it instantly felt very nice and different. Really thanks for all the work your putting in for the community, if you have any info on Reflex FOV verse QL FOV let me know, all i know on the subject is that you add 15 FOV ontop of your QL to get Q3.

Everyone else feel free to chip in anything you like...

GLHF

Is your framerate stable? Windows sens? Some sort of accell enabled?

At the end of the day this formula is based on trial and error, so there is a margin for error, however your offset seems quite a bit higher than normal.

I've been a low sensitivity player since around 2003, and the way I've always looked at it is that you should have a sensitivity related to your mousepad.

If you want to have a useful sensitivity while having it as low as you can to maximize your consistency you should be able to turn 180° in both directions from the middle of your mousepad, and maybe also still having a little bit of space to aim around without having to replace your mouse back to the center of the pad.

So your sensitivity should be a bit more than 360° on your mousepad, something like 450° should be fine.

Obviously the mousing style between a 20cm/360° vs 60cm/360° is completely different, so you just have to find the style that works for you.

I've been a low sensitivity player since around 2003, and the way I've always looked at it is that you should have a sensitivity related to your mousepad.

If you want to have a useful sensitivity while having it as low as you can to maximize your consistency you should be able to turn 180° in both directions from the middle of your mousepad, and maybe also still having a little bit of space to aim around without having to replace your mouse back to the center of the pad.

So your sensitivity should be a bit more than 360° on your mousepad, something like 450° should be fine.

Obviously the mousing style between a 20cm/360° vs 60cm/360° is completely different, so you just have to find the style that works for you.

I use a different sensitivity nearly every week. In CPMA i'm comfortable with 30cm/360, in reflex my LG and rail are completely useless at that sens, so i switched to 45cm/360 yesterday. It all depends on the way you play the game and how fast you can move your hand.

Currently i use 60cm/360 in CS/cod4, 45cm/360 in reflex, 30cm/360 in quake and 25cm/360 in bhop. All of those change all the time.

60cm/360???? My table isn't even this big, how can you...possibly....doesn't it take like a second to drag mouse 60 cm?

Wintah: Its like the length of your D. :D People like to brag about it in public... about how big is it.

But on a more serious note: They most likely use some form of mouse acceleration. Not the shitty Windows one, but something like this:

pengr likes this