entik

Reflex Movement Overview for New Players

54 posts in this topic

If you're new, here's some things you should know about the movement.

Movement Maps

Lightstrafe

Map: https://www.dropbox....rafe-2.map?dl=0

Forum Post: 

Zen1

Map: http://reflexfiles.com/file/64

Forum Post: 

Reflexjump

Map: http://reflexfiles.com/file/69

Forum Post: 

brrun1

Map: http://reflexfiles.com/file/106

Forum Post: 

brcj1
Forum Post: 

Forum Post: 

smilecj
Forum Post: 

Perflexia
Forum Post: 

Parkour Station
Forum Post: 

b0
Forum Post: 

ckdf1

Defrag/Tricking Server:
"[FR] Vil1 Defrag Server Exclusively"
37.187.158.76:25787
MnstH, Godling, Shinuza and 11 others like this

Great Movement guide thanks entik. @ shooter maybe you could set up a sticky thread for all the great movement guides that will come out maybe start with this one :).

I'm happy to jump around with anyone who wants to learn too, just practicing with someone can be a really fast way to learn

Thanks for this, I was pretty much trying to inconsistently figure out how to properly strafe jump again. And I was doing it wrong the whole time. '-'

This is an excellent overview. One idea that springs to mind that would help teach movement is a way to to ghost a good player on a movement map - kind of like in racing sims. You take a player with excellent movement and have them record different things, and let me play on that replay with their model not clipping me to see how closely I can match the movement. Like, am I getting the full distance I should be on my circle jumps, my rocket jumps, etc? I hate saying things like "that shouldn't be hard to do" but in this case it doesn't sound that crazy.

Is there any form of jump map or such to practice jumps/movement yet that someone has made?

Check the mapping forum!

Thanks a lot for this video! Man, strafe and circle jumping is like child's play compared to the tele+circle and full power stair jump.

This is an excellent overview. One idea that springs to mind that would help teach movement is a way to to ghost a good player on a movement map - kind of like in racing sims. You take a player with excellent movement and have them record different things, and let me play on that replay with their model not clipping me to see how closely I can match the movement. Like, am I getting the full distance I should be on my circle jumps, my rocket jumps, etc? I hate saying things like "that shouldn't be hard to do" but in this case it doesn't sound that crazy.

Something like the ghost is planned (along with a multiview window that shows you the first person view + key presses of the ghost). Quite a bit of work in that though so it won't be for a while.

Thanks a lot for this video! Man, strafe and circle jumping is like child's play compared to the tele+circle and full power stair jump.

Tele+circle jumps are currently slightly more difficult than they should be.

lolograde likes this

So glad to hear that. Having a tough time doing them right consistently. I wouldn't mind it being a little easier

I feel quite disapointed with the jump on ramps. Am I the only one ?

In cpma, when you fall on a ramp while jumping, you gain speed but it doesn't work in Reflex. It is not ready yet or it just doesn't work ?

Or maybe I'm just too noob to do it ^^

Same thing to jump from a ramp. In quake, it was easy to jump really high or far (depending on the angle) when jumping from a ramp. A single jump was enough.

In reflex, we have to double jump (triple maybe ?) to do it and it doesn't feel the same.

Do you know if there is a way to remove the selfdamage right now ?

Definitely good to hear. I was wondering why the converted aerowalk tele jump was acting funny.

I feel quite disapointed with the jump on ramps. Am I the only one ?

In cpma, when you fall on a ramp while jumping, you gain speed but it doesn't work in Reflex. It is not ready yet or it just doesn't work ?

Or maybe I'm just too noob to do it ^^

Same thing to jump from a ramp. In quake, it was easy to jump really high or far (depending on the angle) when jumping from a ramp. A single jump was enough.

In reflex, we have to double jump (triple maybe ?) to do it and it doesn't feel the same.

Do you know if there is a way to remove the selfdamage right now ?

Ramps are borked.

ramps work ok going up I was able to go quite far without a double but yeah converting to horizontal speed seems to not work so well

Right, seems like ramp jumps work fine if you're just jumping off of them, but you don't get any extra height if it's a bunnyhop. Likewise you get some horizontal velocity if you just land on a ramp, but not if you bunnyhop on it. I'm assuming this will get fixed.

One other thing I noticed that was present in Q3/CPM but missing from Reflex atm: In Q3 if you ran into a wall shortly after landing (well, only landing hard enough so that it makes a landing sound), the wall would not affect your velocity for a short time, allowing you to "clip" around corners, and making it much easier to maintain speed while double jumping up a ledge or something. It's a small effect, but the fact that it's missing from Reflex makes movement feel somewhat less fluid than it was in CPM. Is there any plan to implement this?