Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newborn

[Have Your Say] Arena modes

78 posts in this topic

For sake of simplicity you should have strong preset rules for the modes so you don't have to write a book to change them and then add some customization options on top of that. Eventually people will find the mode they are most interested to play and stick with it. You can't really force players preferences on what game mode to play. Like if they don't want to play mode X and prefer playing mode Y, they will play Y or they will stop playing the game itself and switch back to whatever game or game mode that suits them. I Do understand that community splitting is problem to large player groups, but there are some players this does not effect at all.

Personally I've been enjoying most of the game modes in CPMA even if I only played some modes regularly and rarely most other modes(which are still fun modes to just play). As long as the standard modes are strong and definitive I say variety is not a bad thing at all for those who really seek something else within core game. So I welcome these modes just like any other addition to the game I suppose.

EDIT: wow, I forget things fast. Edited to suit the thread better.

I don't have much to input (I'm one of the weirdos who're picking this up with no real quake style experience). But I'd be in favour of rounds and I personally don't like killstreaks.

A ticket system does sound interesting. But it'd also be neat if each player personally has an allotted amount of tickets. In that way players with significantly more deaths wouldn't outright throw a game.

Be good if 1v1 allowed ghost players (the spectators) to run around and shoot each other if they arent keen on watching the game.

I personally really like CA.
Just like most of the others said it is a good balance between adrenalin and relaxing.
You have fast/intense rounds and can relax and chat with other people while you are dead.
Spectating other players do crazy moves and great shots also lets you learn a lot.

I also love the idea of having these modes.

I prefered rocket arena to clan arena but I like both a lot.

As already said its nice to have modes without item control and self dmg to just hop in move and aim.

Too many modes can split the playerbase but can also attract more people. It depends (also already mentioned) on the numbers of players I think but I would definitely love those modes.  :wub:

In clan arena, can we fire the weapons during the 5 second warmup, but shots fired during warmup can't cause damage? This is just so you can set up for like triple rocket jumps before the round starts.

No clan arena player would be against this!

Another vote for NTF! Very beginner friendly, no downtime waiting for the next round to begin!

Edit: typo

NTF is a CPM mode which is essentially Team Fortress mechanics, but better.

Base mode is CTF, it's usually played on CTF maps with 8-10 players per team.

Timelimit 20, overtime 5mins.

you choose from 4 classes:

Fighter (sarge model)

Base speed: 280 ups

Health/armour max: 100/100

Armour class: Yellow (2/3 absorb)

Weapons: Shotgun, RL, Plasma

Movement abilities: Air control, double jump

Scout (slash model)

Base speed: 320 ups

Health/armour max: 100/50

Armour class: Green (1/2 absorb)

Weapons: Shotgun, GL

Movement abilities: Air control, rampjump, double jump, stairjump

Sniper (visor model)

Base speed: 280 ups

Health/armour max: 100/50

Armour class: Yellow (2/3 absorb)

Weapons: Machinegun, Rail

Movement abilities: Air control, double jump

Tank (tankjr model)

Base speed: 210 ups

Health/armour max: 100/150

Armour class: Red (3/4 absorb)

Weapons: Shotgun, GL, LG

Movement abilities: Air control

When you frag you pick up a "backpack" with the starting ammo for each of your class's weapons and 25 armour

No weapon pickups or health/armour pickups (except MH every 35 seconds, which will +100 till it hits your class max), all regenerates 5/second until the class max.

Quad/regen is allowed also.

It's awesome.

The only thing useful from CounterStrike would be a variation of "Gun Game".

The rules are simple, the community comes up with an order for all the weapons, everyone starts with unlimited ammo, but only that one weapon.  The order should be easiest to hardest to bring someone from 200 -> 0 hp.  Once you get a kill with weapon A, you automatically get weapon B.  If you die, you fall back a weapon on the list.  First player to get a kill with the final weapon, wins.

Health should regen slightly for all players, no pickups on the maps.

This would be a fun way for players to learn all the weapons, and evasion tactics/movement.

RL -> GL -> rail -> shotgun -> LG -> stakegun -> burst gun

Yea that order looks great, but I would add the melee as the final weapon, so that rounds don't end too quickly.  The last one needs to be a bit harder.

anyway, th epoint that newborn made, is that he'll give us the tools, and then we make our own gamemode. which is how CA was born in the first place. (i mean lol, it's just infiniteammo 1, selfdamage 0, and item spawning off. or at least it was when it first appeared)

If we don't want typical standard modes, I was thinking about teamrace (CO-OP). 2 - 4 players (depending on map), helping each other get through the map.

Here's one of the greatest examples:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ciu9vYBJcZk

Not sure if many people will like it but this mode gives a lot of fun for players to go through it with their friends.

CA is awesome, i saw a few guys being worried about "spam wars" and stuff like that, when you have the big maps, like ra3 did this aint a problem. ofc if you put 64players in a map. it will be crowded.

i used to play Ra3 5v5 matches, god i miss thoes times, fast phased play, hope to see this, 5v5 with perma death pr round(cs style). damn!

I might of missed something but this excludes everything competitive labeled as Arena Modes? like Duel, CTF, FFA, TDM in their classic form.If the main modes above and whatever else i missed are done as always in arena shooters, i think the addition of the round based non pick up Arena Modes are a must have for this game to be for everyone.

How many is too many game modes? This is what im excited to play with some more moderate then others Duel, CTF, TDM, FFA, CA, NTF, Race, 1v1 - I dont think theres too many game modes, i think that there just needs to be no variations of each game mode. The only two i see using the round based non pick up full hp/armor is obviously Clan Arena and perhaps 1v1 if its intended for purely test our combat skills.Oh and ofc NTF cause its just awesome and as someone said many players coming from other games could connect to this really quick have a great time and learn the movement/weapons well. Having no Clan Arena will turn off far too many people then most might think :(

Does instagib count as an arena mode?

Anyway, I got into quake because of instagib. I saw Get Quaked 3 -> had to try that shit out -> came to the conclusion it was way to hard -> played instagib. It was only later in quake live that I tried other game modes after seeing some streams of duel competitions.

So, I've been thinking about modes a bit lately and I thought I might think out loud and get some community feedback. I'm hoping this can become a regular thing during Early Access, as long as everyone can behave themselves and not rage ;)

Anyway, Arena modes. The core of these modes is "Players spawn with all weapons, a bunch of ammo and a decent amount of armor and then proceed to kill each other until there is no one left". There's no weapons to gather and no items to time -- it's purely a test of your combat skills.

The Arena modes we currently have planned are Arena Free For All (3-10 players, no teams), Arena Team Deathmatch (3-10 players, teams) and Arena 1v1 (2 players). 

Traditionally, these modes are round based with each round lasting until a single player is left. This isn't something I've personally ever been a big fan of but the design of Reflex isn't all about my personal preferences.

We could remove the rounds though and simply respawn players when they are fragged. This would make the pace of these modes more in-line with other modes and players wouldn't be forced to float around the map dead, waiting for the round to end.

You would lose the thrill of being the last one alive though. This buzz could be replaced by changing the scoring to reward kill streaks -- players get +1 points for each frag they make without dying. You'd also lose the occasional satisfaction of taking out an entire enemy team yourself.

Powerups are another thing that is missing from these modes. They would have no place in A1v1 but could work in AFFA and ATDM if they were spawned every 3 rounds or so, especially considering that all of our powerups will be designed to have a counter-powerup (For example, Carnage does 4x damage but Resist reduces all damage taken by 75%).

Remember, this is a discussion, not a design decision. The idea is to challenge the existing ideas about Arena modes and see if we can improve on them.

Any ideas or feedback is welcome, except for one thing -- we won't be implementing both styles. Too many game modes will dilute the playerbase and make it more difficult to find a game.

Im feeling this entire post.

Arena modes are a must and 1v1 Arena/King of the hill/Rocket Arena is a great idea.

Some of the most fun I had gaming was playing on BNW Jedi Knight Academy duel servers.

It was best of three rounds (usually) and the winner stayed playing while the player who just lost moved to spec and was in queue to play again.

It kept the flow interesting. Allowed players to talk strategy, spectate the player who just beat them, and was a social hot ground. Similar to QL duel, but didn't take as long.

Just my 2 cents for the moment. I have a ton of ideas that I would love to unload but Im really liking where things are heading.

Grabbed the game tonight and had a blast playing it.

Thanks for such a level headed and humble approach to Arena Fps, keep up the excellent work!