Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
tehace

thcdm12 - Absinthe

13 posts in this topic

Thanks to Kovak/HAL/entik (in no particular order) I've tried to avoid corridors, keep things simple and make a map that is relatively small. YA room have already been reworked according to some issues that rose during limited testing, hell HAL even jumped in and shoot at walls he didnt liked ;) here is what came out of this:

map page - http://thc333.com/reflex/#thirteenth

direct screens - http://thc333.com/reflex/thcdm12/index.html

WIP VERSIONS:

thc333.com/reflex/thcdm12c.zip

removed some walls, added ledges.

thc333.com/reflex/thcdm12d.zip

I've just thrown some ideas in this one, needs testing. Added RA portal + connection, extended GA ledge in YA room. Weakened the ledge above the MH.

Smilecythe and Electro like this

Great map! Awfully hard to decide what's wrong with it though, seeing as the damage through floors is still a huge obstacle. One thing I did notice dueling with aliasedfrog yesterday, though, is that you can pretty easily deny both rocket launchers from the area above mega. Item balancing aside, it's a fun layout to jump around with lots of subtle trick jumps.

Great map! Awfully hard to decide what's wrong with it though, seeing as the damage through floors is still a huge obstacle. One thing I did notice dueling with aliasedfrog yesterday, though, is that you can pretty easily deny both rocket launchers from the area above mega. Item balancing aside, it's a fun layout to jump around with lots of subtle trick jumps.

Thanks, Ive added some triple from the middle area and HALL removed some more walls :) I ahve also switched LG with middle RL, so there is a RL in both side rooms and RG/LG is in the middle.

you can check it out at - http://thc333.com/reflex/thcdm12c.zip

I had a quick jump around the map, and it felt okay. IMO there's a couple of places i didn't like that much. An example would be at the GA in YA room, because your map is kinda circular you can build a good base speed, but when you get to the green, you're going to get stopped by this wall, and I think it feels weird to get stopped up like that.

You're doing hallways okay, but instead of doing a 128 unit hall, try to up the scale a bit. Xero' xdm4 is a good example of proper hall width i.e 144 - 160 units, for low action hallways, and up to 192u, if you'd like to give some space for a good fight. 

Other than that i cant really think of anything, other than maybe adding another way to get to RA when you get out of the TP.

* You left the color palette used in the sky at RA

I had a quick jump around the map, and it felt okay. IMO there's a couple of places i didn't like that much. An example would be at the GA in YA room, because your map is kinda circular you can build a good base speed, but when you get to the green, you're going to get stopped by this wall, and I think it feels weird to get stopped up like that.

You're doing hallways okay, but instead of doing a 128 unit hall, try to up the scale a bit. Xero' xdm4 is a good example of proper hall width i.e 144 - 160 units, for low action hallways, and up to 192u, if you'd like to give some space for a good fight. 

Other than that i cant really think of anything, other than maybe adding another way to get to RA when you get out of the TP.

yep changes are comming so I left the paletter for now :)

you should check 12c than as that wall was removed, you cant go straight where the portal (on the other side) is but you can where the RG at the bottom, generally speaking make that turn and land in the middle room.

thc333.com/reflex/thcdm12d.zip

there are quite a few changes here, the ledge above mh is indeed a very strong point I've tried to weaken it by removing pillars and turning it into a ledge (even when dmg through walls will go away I would like to have it as a surface that allows taken damage) and I have moved all spawn points in this room from its line of sight so you're not insta killed. I've upped a jumppad target in RA room a tiny bit so it should be more consistent/reliable, also added a portal to RA in that room as an alternative but it takes longer to get there and expose you on a different angle.

You're heading in the right direction, but I still feel a bit claustrophobic in some areas. I've gone ahead and edited some of the map myself, i widened some of the halls at red, and moved some teleporters around to make some jumps more viable. The middle area is definitely tricky, especially when you get up the jump pad. I would try to move everything back a bit, to give some more space in the middle, and to make above MH less powerful. I also removed some brushes in the middle to give more space. 

Another thing i did was changing some of the wall at the upper GA, all my edits looks horrible of course, but by doing that I think that the flow of the upper part of the maps feels so much better.

You don't have to do any of the things I did, this is just my opinion. 

Here's a link to the edited version of thcdm12d (I renamed it so it doesn't override the original): Mediafire

* Updated link

You're heading in the right direction, but I still feel a bit claustrophobic in some areas. I've gone ahead and edited some of the map myself, i widened some of the halls at red, and moved some teleporters around to make some jumps more viable. The middle area is definitely tricky, especially when you get up the jump pad. I would try to move everything back a bit, to give some more space in the middle, and to make above MH less powerful. I also removed some brushes in the middle to give more space. 

Another thing i did was changing some of the wall at the upper GA, all my edits looks horrible of course, but by doing that I think that the flow of the upper part of the maps feels so much better.

You don't have to do any of the things I did, this is just my opinion. 

Here's a link to the edited version of thcdm12d (I renamed it so it doesn't override the original): Mediafire

this goo.gl shortlink has been disabled. It was found to be violating our Terms of Service

this goo.gl shortlink has been disabled. It was found to be violating our Terms of Service

Huh, I updated it now to go directly to mediafire.

updated the original thcdm12 with all testing versions :)

shitton of changes to list them in details in general the name of this update is to go with the flow ;)

thanks bjarke for improvements and ideas.

i moved the GA into the RA room, so its whenever you spawn in any room except for the middle you should have access to some kind of armour.

this is more of a monologue but I'll keep posting it :)

• made the 'backplate' of RA 4units for more damage through walls
  • closed the wall in RA rooom that allowed you to be hit from the ledge above MH in that room.
  • fixed some brushes