def

duel
[dp5] furnace

176 posts in this topic

###### [map: dp5] #####################################################################################

download (last update 12/13/2015)

map is now in the steamworkshop -> http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=608417285

mapname: furnace [dp5]
gametype: duel
description: movement heavy fast paced gameplay
credits and thanks to: mazu, tehace, aliasedfrog, fht
owner: def

gameplay showcase

PS: i welcome any feedback.

chronokun, sLiKK, Mazu and 5 others like this

Im kind of at work so I havent really got a chance to even check the video, would like to check some more gameplay first.

any serious feedback?

You need to provide a sample of your smell for me to give a proper review.

Didn't see anything wrong with the map on the games you played with Mazu. I like the various possible tricks on the center area, however those ramp and triple jumps to upper floors idea is getting kind of old. 

for screenshot plz

cl_crosshair 0
cl_show_hud 0

imho is the editor_clip a bit to low,

you can get "stuck" by teh tele next to the shotgun - teleport thingy is not wide enough

more feedback after playtest

Some areas are looking a little over complicated, like lots of small ledges that only have a single item or require more advanced movement to get to.

I'm definitely liking the direction it's heading overall though, the mega area below especially with the trick to be able to get out and back to higher ground. I look forward to seeing how this one evolves.

btw, need more 2v2 maps ;)  (playing a fair bit of 2v2 dp4 lately)

edit: Sorry, figure I better not just talk in general and give a specific example... The YA area imo needs some love to flow better with the YA itself and the tele. That area is a lot of abrupt 90 or 180 degree turns and could flow a lot nicer with some angled areas leading in and out of it. As well as making the YA itself a bit friendly to get. I'm also wondering if the higher level will need some kind of ceiling to be able to hit with splash damage from below so it's not so overpowering once the splash damage is fixed to not go through walls, we'll know that soon though :)

Keep up the good work!

edit: Sorry, figure I better not just talk in general and give a specific example... The YA area imo needs some love to flow better with the YA itself and the tele. That area is a lot of abrupt 90 or 180 degree turns and could flow a lot nicer with some angled areas leading in and out of it. As well as making the YA itself a bit friendly to get. I'm also wondering if the higher level will need some kind of ceiling to be able to hit with splash damage from below so it's not so overpowering once the splash damage is fixed to not go through walls, we'll know that soon though :)

Keep up the good work!

I've been saying you about this YA area that I would like to see redone :P

maybe i will get into that stuff tomorrow with visual things and brain storming for YA section, even if i like it as fast paced zone

for screenshot plz

cl_crosshair 0
cl_show_hud 0

imho is the editor_clip a bit to low,

you can get "stuck" by teh tele next to the shotgun - teleport thingy is not wide enough

more feedback after playtest

i dont get u really. where can u get stuck after tp at sg?! its on the bottom of the map.

PS: 

Up on follwing servers:

[uS/VA] F3AllReady.com

[bE] impdm1 (Anaconda)

i dont get u really. where can u get stuck after tp at sg?! its on the bottom of the map.

I think he means the sides of visual teleport brush. That is why I told you to make small alcoves or corridors for teleports instead of sticking out of wall portals.

My feedback is pretty much the same as most players have noted. YA LG area needs some changes. Spawnpoints need to be changed. Bolt feels odd to use in such small map. Top teleporter is kind of pointless or at least no one has told that it has some smart use. Less narrow hallways / corridors. Some walls should be slightly thicker but that is a lot of work if you want to go with that. Oh and that left top window next to bolt should probably be gone.

Small maps are painfully hard to do properly :P

Edit: def came up with the map name. it has nothing to do with my map "burnace".

ye i know all of that. the TP stuff is coz its just placeholder right now. will all be fixed with visual update

i will make some thoughts about top YA area and floors to make it a bit bigger. and yes, the left window will be removed :P

rail is fine in the map, i will post some US gameplay where it is used a lot, same with the RA TP

spawnpoints... yes :D i will get into that for sure. i guess thats the biggest problem right now

I added US showcase to OP

tehace likes this

Looks great but what's with all these maps being released before some simple texturing so that people can more easily see what's going on geometrically?  It takes 20 minutes or less to texture effectively enough for playtesting.

More importantly though it's looking more and more like you've got some great talent at this, you are consistently releasing maps considerably better for duel than anything else being developed around the same time, wp indeed!!

def likes this

Looks great but what's with all these maps being released before some simple texturing so that people can more easily see what's going on geometrically?  It takes 20 minutes or less to texture effectively enough for playtesting.

More importantly though it's looking more and more like you've got some great talent at this, you are consistently releasing maps considerably better for duel than anything else being developed around the same time, wp indeed!!

really thx for that feedback!

i throw out maps without texturing / visual stuff at first, coz i wanna see if the map is accepted or not. i spend too much time in dp2/3 in brushwork and texture stuff and then i saw it sucked. so i dont wanna waste my time again. if a map has success i get into visual stuff. if not i delete it

Electro likes this

You can build a lot of good "fast-paced duel maps". Maybe it's not your style but i'd really want to see if you can also build bigger maps or teamplay maps :3

You can build a lot of good "fast-paced duel maps". Maybe it's not your style but i'd really want to see if you can also build bigger maps or teamplay maps :3

i never was a real tdm player, so i cant tell you.

i started creating a tdm map a few months ago and never finished it. maybe i will get into that again some time

Fastidious likes this

I'd love to see a TDM map from def :D