Zita

Map Editor Guide

96 posts in this topic

Backspace: Deletes the brush or object.

[...]

V: Vertex editing, when press V you will see small dots appear on the corners of the brush hovering mover over the dot will give you a circle, left click and drag to move the vertex, You can use the Alt key the same way as normal to move the vertex up and down. This is a good way for making ramps, but as there is no way to to rotate the brushes you can us the vert editing to do rotating by hand, It's messy but till they Implement rotating this is the best way I have found.

I "discovered" something, insofar as I used this guide to get started building maps, did a thing accidentally, and did not see it mentioned anywhere.

In vertex editing mode you can use backspace to delete a vertex from a brush. If you create a 64x64x64 cube, go into vertex mode, and then mouse on the nearest top-left vertex and press backspace, and then do the same for the nearest bottom-left vertex, you'll have a very quick 45 degree angle.

I'm new to mapping so all I know are the guides I've read here, and I haven't seen this anywhere. It has changed my life compared to editing vertices freehand.

rook and Zita like this

I "discovered" something, insofar as I used this guide to get started building maps, did a thing accidentally, and did not see it mentioned anywhere.

In vertex editing mode you can use backspace to delete a vertex from a brush. If you create a 64x64x64 cube, go into vertex mode, and then mouse on the nearest top-left vertex and press backspace, and then do the same for the nearest bottom-left vertex, you'll have a very quick 45 degree angle.

I'm new to mapping so all I know are the guides I've read here, and I haven't seen this anywhere. It has changed my life compared to editing vertices freehand.

Well, i'd say that explains the vertex removal too, even tho, it could have said also vertex removal in the backspace or vertex line.

I have added this to the guilde.

The reason I did not add it in the 1st place was that editoring verts can be a bit messy. Some times you have be facing the vert from one view to get the look you want. When deleting vert some times you go to delete the second one and it snap to a vert you did not want it to, This does not happen every time but quite a lot.

You are correct it is a quick way to make a 45 degree angle, but have seem people frustrated by doing this. The other way to do it is to put one vert over another and they will merge, but again its all about the way you are faceing and how close other verts are to the one you are moving, some times if two vert are close, just by clicking the vert it can auto snap, not just to the vert but to the snap distance you have set.

There is still a lot of work to be done on the editor, so Instead of people getting frustrated trying these out I left them out of the guide till the editor was given more love.

+1 to all of that. Editing vertices is messy as hell right now, but quick 45s give you a really fast way to make stairs, so it's useful even for just that one trick. Depending on the shape you're editing, vertices won't always snap reliably for me, even if I give up and try to use snap distance 2 to fine tune, so merging vertices isn't always reliable. I just know it'll save me a ton of time on stairs and simple angled walls and such where I'd otherwise be trying to edit by hand.

+1 to all of that. Editing vertices is messy as hell right now, but quick 45s give you a really fast way to make stairs.

What !? Where u need vertex when making stairs o_O ?

What !? Where u need vertex when making stairs o_O ?

When adding corners to the stairs to give them a rounded look

When adding corners to the stairs to give them a rounded look

I know that, but he spoke only about making stairs. Not about the corners :P

That shouldn't be done until sv_private 1 exists.  Currently there is no way to prevent someone from connecting to you if you have your ports open and are simply working on a map locally.  So there wouldn't be any way of someone screwing up your map and hitting save.  Since you didn't mess it up you can't undo the changes.  Receipe for disaster.  I'd rather see a list of approved connection aliases that are allowed to save maps.  Since it's on Steam would be nice to use Steam names to accomplish that.  Don't know if Steam private groups could be leveraged for that somehow.  Would be nice.  In any case a permissions list is needed.

Don't get me wrong I did not mean to save the map on the host server via connected user.

What I wanted was, to save the map on my harddrive for me. So I could work and play with it.

If I work on a map with a friend and he ist the host, I have no chance of ever going back to that map, if a ) he doesn't save it and send me the file or b ) is not hosting the map for people to play.

In addition I had a dedicated server running on a different machine on Lan und was building a map.

I couldn't save my map. I had to connect via vpn to the host machine and save the map via dedicated cmd window. And then I had do copy it into a folder which was visible in Lan for me to copy it back to my gaming pc. 

I see your point though if you don't want people to save your work in progress file.

But this could be prevented with a option like "me_allowsave 1" which would allow connected users (who are not the host) to save the map on their harddrive.

That shouldn't be done until sv_private 1 exists.  Currently there is no way to prevent someone from connecting to you if you have your ports open and are simply working on a map locally.

Couldn't you just make sv_listen 0 ? Or you could start via start private match, which I thought was exactly doing that.

So your server wouldn't appear in the list. Noone can connect unless they see your ip. But not sure about thah, can't look into my cfg files right now.

sv_private 1 infers that a server is passworded.  So sv_private 1 plus me_clientsave 1 or me_clientsyncsave 1 would be best for a dedicated group of mappers running their own private mapping server.  None of those variables actually exist right now.  We need something like that before we can actually start creating dedicated mapping servers

Funtion Bind's have been up dated, now you have F1 and F2 for yes and no so rebound the me_snapdistance to binds F4 - F8

Yeah I use my F keys for snapdistances now.  Makes working with different snaps so much easier.  Loving the new editor binds for build 28.

Im sure they will implement more binds over the coming builds, but for people who know how to use the editor its very easy for us to set binds up to our own liking.

bind mouse4 me_getmaterial (copy texture)
bind mouse5 me_setmaterial (paste texture)

This becomes a more convenient way to use shift+M for setting materials on individual faces.  Now it's shift+mouse5.  That way you don't have to take your hand off the mouse to do shift + m.  :)

Reason I chose mouse4 for copy is because for some mice it's easy to accidentally hit mouse 4 sometimes.  Instead of accidentally pasting you'll only accidentally copy.  No harm done by accidental thumb click.

If you don't have to deal with accidental thumb clicks and are confident it won't happen then switching copy to mouse 5 and paste to mouse 4 would be much more efficient with multiple copy/paste, paste, paste, paste tasks.

Thanks Devil added then to the binds section.

On another note, If any one thinks they have a good editor config that can help new mappers become more efficient post here using the spoiler command.

To use spoiler command type [ spoiler ] the text [ /spoiler ] (take out the spaces bewteen the [ and the ]. then I add the link to it in the guide.

I recommend carrying over Devil's note about swapping mouse4/mouse5 for those binds to your guide.  I think it doesn't hurt to offer a friendly reminder to people that they should consider trying those binds the other way around, as they might prefer that way instead.  

With regard to config, I haven't bothered to take it any further than the snapdistance binds, with ones for 128 and 256 as well, and setting volume and disable my invert.

bind f1 me_snapdistance 2

bind f2 me_snapdistance 8
bind f3 me_snapdistance 16
bind f4 me_snapdistance 32
bind f5 me_snapdistance 64
bind f6 me_snapdistance 128
bind f7 me_snapdistance 256

m_invert 0

s_volume 0.100000

You'll notice that I'm using the original f# binds as before.  This is because I disagree with the change you made "Edit: changed the binds as now you have voting set to ket F1, F2 for yes and no", because I had already become familiar with pressing F1, F2, F3 for snapdistance of 2, 8, and 16; and I also just found it quite counter-intuitive that snapping keys would start at F4, rather F1.  

Also, I found that I personally don't need to be able to vote (or ready up) while edit-mode.  I'd rather keep the original editor F# keybinds (overwriting voting keys), and I just simply exit edit-mode (by pressing 0), perform my vote, then press 0 again.

Thanks for the feed back Arkore. Have added your config to the list.

I think the main thing is to give people the basics and I think a lot of people will work out what best works for them. For example using 0 to swap to edit mode for the voting, as I us a diffrent res for game mode and edit mode it means a vid_restart on changing so I just opt to using the voting keys, but like you said they can use them on any keys they wish.

Added a Quick fix for problems some people are having with the Content Browser Hack not sending over to ReFlex.

Added it to the end of 3rd post.

Good suggestion Arkore.  I've been using snapdistance starting with F4 since voting binds came into play, I still find myself going to F1-F3 just out of muscle memory.  That means I need to change my voting binds to get my F1-F3's back.  Didn't even think about doing that, thanks.  I don't think I've ever used anything higher than 16 snap.  128 and 256 seems ridiculous in that regard.  Would rather use those remaining F7-F9 keys for specific brushes like nolight, noclip, and a favorite texture.  Would love to see default config add in those special brushes to the F7-F9 keys and voting moved to minus (-) and plus (+).

dont know why but minus (-) and plus (+) sends an error of invalid key when i try to bind them

Good suggestion Arkore.  I've been using snapdistance starting with F4 since voting binds came into play, I still find myself going to F1-F3 just out of muscle memory.  That means I need to change my voting binds to get my F1-F3's back.  Didn't even think about doing that, thanks.  I don't think I've ever used anything higher than 16 snap.  128 and 256 seems ridiculous in that regard.  Would rather use those remaining F7-F9 keys for specific brushes like nolight, noclip, and a favorite texture.  Would love to see default config add in those special brushes to the F7-F9 keys and voting moved to minus (-) and plus (+).

Glad you found it helpful.

I frequently use 128, 256, and even 1024 sometimes.  If you've watched any of my mapping streams, you'll see how I utilize these large snap distances.  I use 128 a lot, for drawing large areas and corridors as well.

I also use these large snap distances for other reasons, such as: 1) reduce amount of requests to server (if mapping on a dedicated server), for when resizing a large block, or small block over a large range.  2) Cloning.  

As you know, cloning will clone towards YOU (the camera), so I always turn my view to which ever way I want to clone something.  For example, cloning a 64x64 pillar/beam every 128 units, several times for a long streak of pillars.  For example, cloning ceiling spotlights every 128units along a long wall.  Etc. etc.

Zita some keys cannot be bound yet.  There's a command to show all bindable keys.  I think it's r_keylist.  I didn't actually check if plus and minus could be bound was just a suggestion.  Actually I'd rather bind Keypad plus and minus specifically because to me those are far out of the way, easy to feel for, logical as yes/no, and relatively unused. 

Keypad keys aren't as logical for laptop owners since some laptop don't even have them.  One bad thing about using plus and minus is they are right next to backspace.  If you have a brush selected and hit the wrong key it would be too easy to accidentally delete a brush.  That might be why they are unbindable and honestly I think that's a good thing.  Would rather look into keypad plus/minus.

Zita likes this

The list of bind-able keys can be looked up via:

keylist

and the keys in question on the numerical keyboard are:

numpadadd
numpadsubtract
Zita likes this

The list of bind-able keys can be looked up via:

keylist

and the keys in question on the numerical keyboard are:

numpadadd
numpadsubtract

Thanks thats great cause my volume binds in quake are those two key :) and thats what I need them for in Reflex

If you want to bring your cartoon baby to life you have to animate him.

LOL Spammers write some ridiculous stuff.