Zita

Map Editor Guide

96 posts in this topic

I'd just like to thank everyone who reports posts like that. It makes our lives as moderators a lot easier. :)

Thanks Fjoggs for the clean up. Dam sorry m8 forgot about the report button, I go and hang my head in shame ;)

The list of bind-able keys can be looked up via:

keylist

and the keys in question on the numerical keyboard are:

numpadadd
numpadsubtract

Thanks m8 added this to the 1st post and credited you

ctrl+c and ctrl+v only works with content browser for adding an effect.  Doesn't work for pasting textures to console.  Since content browser only works once for me then fails I have to close/open it every single time I want send a texture to reflex.  This is not a complete work around for the content browser breaking after each use.  I've just started memorizing paths instead and typing them out in console.  I really need to make a bind for common texture paths in the mean time.  I don't even open content browser anymore that's how broken it is for me.  I don't even use it because it's more work opening, send to reflex, close content browser, open content browser, do it again; rather than just typing out paths in console.

I agree that is a pain. One way would be to set up a contentbrowser config and load it when needed.

Add each path to a bind ( yes I know there are lots of content for each key) or the ones that you would normally use. The hard part would to be working out which ones to use and which keys to bind them too.

If anyone really needs such a config maybe I could set one up, the only trouble is my idea of best key binds might not be some ones elses.

How about coming up with a list then we can just rebind keys.  At least it will give everyone a good way to copy/paste it into their configs.  Recommend adding paths to only most common needed paths.  Environment, lights, effect, special brushes, and dev brushes are the only paths I usually look for. 

We could really use those drop down lists about now lol.  Content browser just isn't getting it done anymore.  At least give us real copy/paste to console.  These temporary solutions are frustrating to use.

How about coming up with a list then we can just rebind keys.  At least it will give everyone a good way to copy/paste it into their configs.  Recommend adding paths to only most common needed paths.  Environment, lights, effect, special brushes, and dev brushes are the only paths I usually look for. 

We could really use those drop down lists about now lol.  Content browser just isn't getting it done anymore.  At least give us real copy/paste to console.  These temporary solutions are frustrating to use.

Ok I did a config called brush.cfg just copy it to your Reflex folder (C:Program Files (x86)SteamSteamAppscommonReflex).

Open the config in a text editor and read the 1st part as it has some Important Info inside,

This config has been broken up in to the different categories so you can easy find what you need.

Please Remeber I have not added every single command from the ContentBrowserHack only the ones I think will be used and is just an easy way for people to use if you have problems using the Content Browser Hack (Or even if you want to bind them instead of using the Browser)

https://www.dropbox.com/s/nws2yvbqko3c1vv/brush.cfg?dl=0

Edit: Also I better say I have not tested it so please let me know if any thing is wrong

For me the Content Browser Hack mostly works, though I did start to add weird chars...

Zita,

might like to fix the example in the header from

Bind p internal/editor/textures/editor_nolight

to

bind p me_activematerial internal/editor/textures/editor_nolight

to avoid confusion. Have brush.cfg open in UltraEdit next to the editor.cfg and game.cfg, thanks.

Though once one has chosen the textures for the map and added the effects/items you usually can simply copy/paste them directly from existing brushes via k and m.

Zita likes this

For me the Content Browser Hack mostly works, though I did start to add weird chars...

Zita,

might like to fix the example in the header from

Bind p internal/editor/textures/editor_nolight

to

bind p me_activematerial internal/editor/textures/editor_nolight

to avoid confusion. Have brush.cfg open in UltraEdit next to the editor.cfg and game.cfg, thanks.

Though once one has chosen the textures for the map and added the effects/items you usually can simply copy/paste them directly from existing brushes via k and m.

Thanks for pointing that out m8, now fixed

Any extra map editor tools in the latest release? I know you guys introduced clipall and some cool new meshes. Select multiple brushes? Carving ability?

Walternate likes this

Since newborn usually is very thorough when he posts the list of updates, I fear there are no such additional changes. Unless he forgot to mention them in his Announcement post for 0.33.1.

Nope, not editor updates. Doing more work on the editor is definitely nearing the top of the to-do list though, since we're going to need it for our own dev very soon.

trevize1138 likes this

As promised I will update the thread when the new stuff is added or if the editor changes. By the way the updates are coming in thick and fast we wont be waiting long.

I more likely will rewrite every thing in a more organized way. (depending if the dev's do it 1st, as stated in one of the posts above). But will def do some vid tuts for the editor.

Zita would you care for me to move your posts over to the reflexfiles.com wiki, I would give the content a layout workover. It should also then be easier for you to update and expand the content there?

Though as I see it... for now it may be best to let you work in peace here, until the content you wanted to add / fix has settled down more?

chin_0k and Zita like this

Zita would you care for me to move your posts over to the reflexfiles.com wiki, I would give the content a layout workover. It should also then be easier for you to update and expand the content there?

Though as I see it... for now it may be best to let you work in peace here, until the content you wanted to add / fix has settled down more?

I just looked at the site and I think it would be a good idea to port it over. You have to give me an Idea on how to edit it once you have ported it, but that could be done on irc or on ts once your done.

The layout on the site would def make it easer to edit and re-do sections once the editor has been given some love. Also as we are unsure how the final editor will look IE: UI, Contentbrowerhack will look or work together a well structered site like yr wiki will make life easer.

Thanks for doing this AEon B)

Well I'd do the layouting for the first page... and then it should be relatively simple to follow how the layouting on the wiki works. The wiki code is a simple programming language... pretty weird at first, but after a time one does note that it is meant to use the least number of chars to define e.g. headers, or turn text bold etc.

Even though I should be able to write up things myself, I am actually better at "pimping" existing text to present it in the best possible way, "fixing" wording and the links along the way.

having issues with the editor, it will not let me change the sky color anymore, sliders dont do anything, changing values manually does not save...any ideas?

having issues with the editor, it will not let me change the sky color anymore, sliders dont do anything, changing values manually does not save...any ideas?

HI mate,- to change the sky colour open the map file in a text editor and change it manually there. You define the sky colour with a Hex code. Save that and your done ;)

sorry ya i figured it out about half hour after posting, got tired of waiting ot see if it was just my build of reflex being borked :P

For some reason I'm having trouble with even changing to editor mode in reflex 0.34.1

0 is still bound to:

game 0 = toggleeditor

me 0 = cl_playerstate 1

and when i press it... nothing happens.

even just typing the commands toggleeditor and cl_playerstate 1 do nothing.

Any idea what I seem to be doing wrong?

EDIT sv_allowedit was on 0
(Thanks to DraQu)

Good guide. I was able to learn that it is in fact not possible to direct hit yourself with your own rocket using teleporters. Oh well.

Hey, to me, it seems like the prefab system only allows to create and re-use prefabs within a map. Is this the case? Or can you use prefabs from one map in another map?