Vantavia

Bright coloured players instead of outlines.

137 posts in this topic

Even less people give a fuck about CPMA. just saying.

Yeah CPMA is totally irrelevant when this game is pretty much based on it

tumblr_m0av2xAGCu1qjhbl2o1_250.jpg

Yeah CPMA is totally irrelevant when this game is pretty much based on it

tumblr_m0av2xAGCu1qjhbl2o1_250.jpg

Nice interpretation man ....can u do more than throw around "funny" memes like some 12 year old twitch kid? I mean..besides interpreting statements however you want...

So sad you can't block people in this forum...would save my day for sure.

i only see some unknown players like you crying about it....

This game has like a community of like 30 people ( people that use forum, irc etc...) ....and it's already FILLED with ignorant, totally close-minded shitheads.

holy shit pot calling the kettle black

How can a game created by a retard by any good?

maybe you should check your privledge and respect the disabilities of others you ableist scum

Regards

Smilecythe, Tree_ and reverb like this

maybe you should check your privledge and respect the disabilities of others you ableist scum

Regards

Ah..quoting things totally out of context..always fun :). Man..this gets better and better ....

Ah..quoting things totally out of context..always fun :). Man..this gets better and better ....

Yeah reminds us of someone specific doesn't it..

I'm done talking to you guys anyways. It's like trying to talk sense into toddlers and they just start screaming and shitting on the floor.

Edit: actually found the ignore list. Thank god ...

Regards

hah

a

h

I'm done talking to you guys anyways. It's like trying to talk sense into toddlers and they just start screaming and shitting on the floor.

Edit: actually found the ignore list. Thank god ...

Don't toddlers usually wear diapers? It's hard to shit on the floor through those.

Once again, Mr. A. Benz has made a dazzling series of posts that boggle the mind of any sane and open-minded individual. A. Benz, your posts reinforce exactly WHY developers rarely take forum posts seriously and always with not a grain but a barrel of salt. It's pretty clear that you want to become some hot-shit authority figure on these forums, judging by your obscene post count in relation to the majority and to just how long the game has been out, but it might help if you actually understood the games that are being discussed before making a fool of yourself.

“A successor as in: making the game more accessible for a wider audience than 10 players. Cosmetics ARE a big factor to achieve that on a long term. I'd rather have 50k players and a bit of problems with visibility than 100 players and no problems.”

2. It's more about making your own "character" more unique and giving it a more individual look. People love individual looks. Easy as that.”

Cosmetics are not a big factor to achieve player persistence in the long term. You are clearly deluded by the fact that Valve and Riot are making obscene amounts of money from selling skins and have applied this as an uneducated blanket marketing strategy for keeping games alive when this has not been the case since multiplayer games were a thing. Sure they add a source of player enjoyment and developer/content producer revenue, but in no way do they replace the MECHANICS of a game which keep people playing. Believe it or not, Mr. Benz, but people play games like Dota 2 and League of Legends because they enjoy actually PLAYING the game. I am not a fan of the MOBA genre myself, but I've played enough of both games with friends to understand that cosmetics are just icing on the cake. People enjoy the experience of the game and crazy team battles and always hope that they're gonna go crazy and snag an ace, and guess what's the last thing on their mind, Mr. Benz. What is it? COSMETICS. It is quite honestly a one-off for them, going "heh I got this crazy/cool skin" and that's that for them. Name me one instance in which someone played a game simply to buy skins and make zero profit out of it. I'll wait.

People were attracted to TF2 because the gameplay was fun: it was the team-based FPS that die-hard fans waited for over the course of 9 years, watching their favorite game go through revision after revision and be rewarded for their patience with quite possibly the single-most influential and fun multiplayer shooter since Quake and UT. No one clamored to TF2 because they heard that the game had a bunch of zany collectable hats: Valve's tagline for the Free2Play update was a quote from PC Gamer that said "The most fun you can have online...". See anywhere in that sentence where cosmetics were mentioned? No? That's right, Mr. Benz - people play video games for FUN.

“but but.... CSGO aint got no brightmodels ....must be black magic it aint dead yet, although you can bearly see players sometimes”

“1. If your statement regarding visibility was ANY true (in the real world), no one would play CS:GO competitively. Yet it's the biggest eSport FPS at the moment. In reality only a few % get vocal about visibility at all.”

CS is an ENTIRELY DIFFERENT game in comparison to Reflex. CS is not a movement based game and instead relies heavily on player positioning and map awareness, and even that very general description does not do the game justice in its competitive environment. Sound is far more critical because of how movement affects weapon performance/accuracy and the limitations that players are placed under in terms of speed, and is easily why there are no fullbright models for CS:GO. Sure, muddy models aren't something I'd consider competitive, but in the way that CS plays overall I highly doubt that the impact these muddy models make is as game-damaging as one would think in the face of sound being a much more potent telling of player location. Following the analogy that this is an entirely different game: for a game like TF2 that is riddled with artstyle-defacing cosmetics, players are still distinguishable not only by the class they are playing, but by their overall player color tone. The shades of red and blue used by Valve to denote the Red and Blu teams in comparison to other instances of red and blue stand out in spades on maps like Hydro, Junction, Badlands, Dustbowl, Granary, Metalworks (started out as a custom map), Sunshine (custom map), etc. With the addition of cosmetics and unusuals, class identification has not changed at all - in fact, I could argue that cosmetics like unusual hats are the equivalent of fullbrights as they are clearly visible and ludicrous effects that say "here I am! shoot me! shoot ME! I'M A TARGET".

The thing about Quake is that it’s a game that offers color palettes for players to pick and choose the colors of their teammates and enemies for ease of distinction against the environment since the default models do not really accomplish this. Go take a look at Bones. Then go take a look at Neon Red Bones and Neon Blue Bones; in fact go boot up Quake Live, CPMA, or vanilla Quake 3 (You DO have these games, right? You know exactly what skins are available to choose from at a player's disposal in terms of forcing player models, right?) and go look at the normal player models and the fact that there are brighter color models available to choose from. This is a blatant design choice. Reflex is built upon the teachings of Quake and quite honestly it doesn’t make sense to NOT include a mode in which players can choose to activate fullbright models or models with more vibrant colors (ie. neon green). They don’t look natural for frag videos, of course, but they do keep the players distinguishable from the playing field.

“I'm wondering if you don't understand it...or simply don't want to understand it....”

“100% wrong.”

“Nice interpretation man ....can u do more than throw around "funny" memes like some 12 year old twitch kid? I mean..besides interpreting statements however you want...

So sad you can't block people in this forum...would save my day for sure.”

“This game has like a community of like 30 people ( people that use forum, irc etc...) ....and it's already FILLED with ignorant, totally close-minded shitheads.”

Your attitude is that of a toddler. YOU are the proverbial kicking, screaming, and crying child in the shopping mall because mommy told that he can’t have the $120 Call of Duty Advanced Warfare pack with the ~SEASON PASS~ because it’s too fucking expensive. It is glaring clear that not only do you have NO UNDERSTANDING of how arena shooters work, you also have no understanding of how the “popular” shooters like CS:GO you so tailor to suit your arguments work. YOU are the “ignorant,... closed-minded shithead”, as you so eloquently put it. If you're so passionate about shooters that you put up an entire website dedicated to competitive play, why are you so ignorant of the varied kinds of competitive gameplay and what player retention actually entails?

Alright. I really don't like having to do stuff like this, but this thread is now locked for being a clusterfuck.

I have no problem at all with people openly disagreeing with design decisions on this forum. I do actually listen to all the feedback but ultimately I have to do what I believe is best for the game, regardless of how much whinge it generates or how much I'd personally rather do things differently. The bright skin stuff was not an easy decision. This particular thread however is no longer about discussing/agreeing/disagreeing with the design -- It's now players criticizing one another for their opinions. That shit gets threads locked. Reflex actually has a brilliant, creative, helpful, friendly scene that we're hugely proud of and I'm not going to let toxic behavior like this ruin it.

You guys get this warning only. If I see this kind of stupid, pointless, scene-ruining name calling again, your accounts are getting nuked. People out there disagree with you, learn to deal with it like adults. I don't want to have to waste my limited dev time on topics like this one -- I just lost an hour of working on Reflex to dealing with this and if anyone said anything useful about brightskins after page 5, I didn't read it.