newborn

New weapon concepts!

250 posts in this topic

hoho! By the way, is the Bolt Rifle a 1 handed weapon now, because there's no fore stock! Where do you put your other hand without getting electrocuted  :D

It looks very wild west looking vs. slightly SciFi... not sure it fits any robot avatars or abstract maps... personally I am not such a fan of wild west themed gaming... but the designs are pretty amazing non-the-less.

Had to think some more... its more like steam punk... piraty western SciFi ;)

Here's to a steam-powered Railgun :ph34r:

It looks very wild west looking vs. slightly SciFi... not sure it fits any robot avatars or abstract maps... personally I am not such a fan of wild west themed gaming... but the designs are pretty amazing non-the-less.

Had to think some more... its more like steam punk... piraty western SciFi ;)

Here's to a steam-powered Railgun :ph34r:

It looks more industrially sort of sci fi. Like Hard Reset or something. Doesnt seem steampunky or piratey to me

namejs2002 and Spannzer like this

I was starting to look forward to a grittier sort of post industrial aesthetic, (which I imagined as a little more clunky/beefy) but I might could get into this too.

It has a very strong bioshock infinite feel to it.

Also I get the feeling you guys don't intend for this to be "steam punk", but people are going to toss the steam punk label on anything that looks like "technology-before-its-time for and old timey setting". Also you could really easily throw those concepts into a steam punk setting and they'd fit right in.

It looks more industrially sort of sci fi. Like Hard Reset or something. Doesnt seem steampunky or piratey to me

Glass tubes, coils, gears, tech-before-its-time theme. Not to mention how ornate and classy that rocket launcher is, which is another big part of of the steam punk aesthetic.

"Steampunk perhaps most recognisably features anachronistic technologies or retro-futuristic inventions as people in the 19th century might have envisioned them, and is likewise rooted in the era's perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, and art."

That's the vibe I get from these concepts, and that's going to be the label likely to be applied on most peoples first impressions.

FDA, bingo :)

And I now know what the weapons remind me of, though the Reflex ones are very much more intricate and detailed... a game named Damnation.

Ironic how every FPS has to go advertising through weapons, even though e.g. I myself turn them off in the HUD pretty much first thing. This may be a from times when trying to minimize impact on frame rate by not drawing the weapon model. But it is strange that the weapons set the tone of the game, see the comments in this thread already. I noted in Q3A that the more abstract weapons there worked in most situations... though the more hand-crafted maps (western style) looked weird having "modern" Q3A weapons and items spawns in them.

It makes me wonder if in a moment of abundance there could not be more than one weapon/item set for Reflex. E.g. for hand-crafted retro maps the weapons shown, and another set for streamlined modern SciFi weapons/items for futuristic more abstract maps like pretty much all maps created for Reflex so far. I know... Daikatana did something like that... and it was partially confusing, and a bitch of a lot of work...  but I do feel that the presented weapons, and probably the pickups along with them will look very out of place in futuristic looking maps.

Glass tubes, coils, gears, tech-before-its-time theme. Not to mention how ornate and classy that rocket launcher is, which is another big part of of the steam punk aesthetic.

"Steampunk perhaps most recognisably features anachronistic technologies or retro-futuristic inventions as people in the 19th century might have envisioned them, and is likewise rooted in the era's perspective on fashion, culture, architectural style, and art."

That's the vibe I get from these concepts, and that's going to be the label likely to be applied on most peoples first impressions.

Yeah no doubt steampunk will be the word everyone uses. But this doesnt give the whole "clockwork top hat, gothicy dresses with cogs on them" vibe to me at least. Though I could see why someone would make that connection.

I definitely agree with your above comment that they need to be chunkier and beefier.

Walternate, Holi and MrOllie like this

I'm not a fan of this style, and also a little bit afraid that visual clarity of the game will suffer. I do not really see how will these fit into the simple level designs.

But I'm not bitchin, lets see how this turns out.

This certainly is quite unique but i happen to have a thing for middleage/whatever that i just dont like it. I was alot more happier with this tech style that was the original approach.

Personally i do hope that there is gonna be more of the techness in Reflex, than this new raw "put together" look..

KETNAR, CadEx, sLiKK and 1 other like this

really dig this new art direction you guys are going towards. I work at a warehouse which was built in 1913 and now is in derelict conditions. Alot of the machinery, lighting, architecture of the building is very similar to what you guys are heading towards. I might post some images sometime :). Theres even some windows that look just like the ones you guys made recently, including the broken ones.

I only worry that it might become too steam-punkish and over-the-top. If done right, it could be extremely cool to look at and play. Industrial Revolution design/architecture features alot of ironwork for structures and huge heavy timber beams and trusses. Even the machinery feels very heavy and built to last. I cant wait to see how jump pads can turn into a peice of machinery with moving gears. Other elements like this would be cool too, such as lifts.

I also feel this art style stands out from other arena fps games and can attract alot of people. 

Yasashii, namejs2002 and Electro like this

Nice concept work.

My only criticism is for a game with this movement speed robots at least made it make some kind of sense, to justify the movement.

I get that the game is not ARMA 3, but some justification from the Art/Lore side for how its possible to go like 90 miles an hour and fly around in the air would be cool I think.

Looking forward to seeing these in game.

wallen and Stalast like this

Nice concept work.

My only criticism is for a game with this movement speed robots at least made it make some kind of sense, to justify the movement.

I get that the game is not ARMA 3, but some justification from the Art/Lore side for how its possible to go like 90 miles an hour and fly around in the air would be cool I think.

Looking forward to seeing these in game.

This is also my only concern, which pertains how the new player models would look like should they be humans.

Another thing that might be looked out for... with games like Q3A the overall art compared to today was pretty low detail... that made orientation in maps, and seeing pickups and opponents not much of a problem. Ever since UT2k3 and even more so with UT3, there has been a tendency in FPS games to totally overkill with complicated meshes and detail. Animated blinking stuff all over the place.This significantly increases the visual noise detracting from the gameplay, i.e. recognising enemies quickly enough or even recognizing pickups (especially in realistic games e.g. like Far Cry 3) becomes an issue. Thus most gamers started to turn down detail as much as possible... thus playing in really ugly maps. So one may wonder why bother with detail to begin with... I personally play with everything turned on to the max (if my hardware can take it).

Presently the extremely abstract look in Reflex focuses anything that is animated like enemies or pickups, and makes both easy to see. Portal is a good example of this situation... they toned down detail (stylizing) on purpose to reduce the visual confusion, helping focus on solving the puzzles...

Now imagine hammering everything with wood, corroded metal, cogs, steam, darkness and other steam punkish elements on all walls and floors... and then imagine your weapons in the same style... you will have a bitch of a time to see them... and imagine "steam robots" also in a toned down style (which would look better)... but making everything tone in tone.

So there will need to be a fine line to tread... detail yes... but very much controlled. Detail overkill might end up as a large issue.

cepTrik, Stalast, poub and 2 others like this