goochie

Post your WIP screenshots!

371 posts in this topic

made a little showcase video from the art of dp5 made by fht (compared ultra vs, low settings)

plz tell us, if u think its too dark or has too much smoke effects

​I checked the update, looks really nice. Only thing is the mega area should have the same type of floor as the red area imo.  

AEpyraR2 r72 ... added relatively subtle ground fog. Note that the fog actually is also full clip. Trees in darker green, and bark of tress a darker brown. JPs and APs now have mesh vents... hiding the JP texture inside of the meshes.

225A1EBCEEB5D4D565C7F1D0FE9B322081AAEFD9 (1680×1028)

I should have the map in downloadable state tomorrow... whee... obviously, more details can and probably will be added.

tehace, MAD_JIHAD and rook like this

This is gonna take some time! :/ Thinking of doing like a hell theme later with lots of lava and stuff! 

2015-09-19_00007.jpg

Edited by I4N
rook likes this

Important question - Wood or no wood? haha

gf says the map looks too busy now and is not a fan of how the wood plank meshes look here. What do you guys think? Clean look with minimal mesh work or go crazy? 

PbzCCUt.jpg

kCHmylH.jpg

Personally I think those stones on the right side floor do not fit... I'd imagine such floors in dungeons or tombs... I very much prefer the wooden floor it gives a map a posh apartment look. Or a evil tech base, what you seem to be going for... the bad guys have taste and wooden floors, because they look cooler ^_^.

MAD_JIHAD likes this

I agree with AEon that the wooden floor is much better - personally i would try to make the color balance out instead of the darkblue stone vs brown planks. imo they dont really blend well.

Important question - Wood or no wood? haha

gf says the map looks too busy now and is not a fan of how the wood plank meshes look here. What do you guys think? Clean look with minimal mesh work or go crazy? 

PbzCCUt.jpg

kCHmylH.jpg

Just listen to your girlfriend ;) I personally think the wooden floor fits more. Gl with the end result.

Now u also can say u made the map together :wub:

Edited by Tr1pwire

I agree with AEon that the wooden floor is much better - personally i would try to make the color balance out instead of the darkblue stone vs brown planks. imo they dont really blend well.

​So you think I should use a color for the rest of the environment that doesn't contrast so much with the wood floor color? A different shade of brown perhaps? I was trying to avoid everything looking like its just a shade of one color I guess.

I do agree though that these colors don't blend well. A "cave mine" themed map could be cool. Sort of the look I ended up with on the left hallway minus the tele.

At the far end of your wooden floor, there seems to be an area that looks like wooden beams supporting a ceiling. So you could combine, tech base, with neat wooden floors, that also has a few mine-like more raw passages. For me the dark blue-grey works pretty much... only it looks a bit overwhelmingly drab in a few areas... but that may be due to the lack of detail there. Clever glow lighting in a few areas could liven up those areas possibly.

​So you think I should use a color for the rest of the environment that doesn't contrast so much with the wood floor color? A different shade of brown perhaps? I was trying to avoid everything looking like its just a shade of one color I guess.

I do agree though that these colors don't blend well. A "cave mine" themed map could be cool. Sort of the look I ended up with on the left hallway minus the tele.

​​You could try something like a cold, grey with a minor tint of blue - you can always brighten it up/give it more color with details later

Just listen to your girlfriend ;) I personally think the wooden floor fits more. Gl with the end result.

Now u also can say u made the map together :wub:

​"Just listen to your girlfriend" - This is great advise and probably means your "happily" married :). She wants no part in this effort though! Especially considering all the hours I have already dumped into messing with the editor. Map building is a serious time sink.

​F1 to wood, especially because of the contrast.

Looking much less boring now with more wood. Played with some diff lighting as well.
VjvoiDJ.jpg

A couple other parts (WIP). Going industrial for much of the other areas, especially the ceiling because there's more meshes to choose from to fill it out. Looking way too dark as well but will fix later.
XuRY9Ht.jpg

81SaNhu.jpg

ZYFCNPK.jpg

Skytoon, Ohm sweet, flair and 3 others like this

Ironic that the grid textures we all have sorta been looking down on are actually really helpful when placing meshes now.

Looking much less boring now with more wood. Played with some diff lighting as well.

​This looks fantastic!!

While PromEUs is hard at work making my last project look amazingly beautiful like he does and him and Wossman testing and working out all the kinks, I've decided to try my hand in another CTF map. It's at the final stages before it's testing ready but here are some shots of mid. I'm Thinking a castle theme. Hopefully with some help this one can be just as good as Monolith. :) Don't mind the grey dev texture. Haha

new%20ctf2_zpsbkn8comn.png

new%20ctf1_zpsoqsf6hhr.png 

tehace, rook, klyph0rd and 1 other like this

Ironic that the grid textures we all have sorta been looking down on are actually really helpful when placing meshes now.

​Yeah, they do come in handy for that. Can you reapply it as a texture once a material has already been applied to a brush? Would be nice if there was a grid material that could be used as well. Lining meshes up with the editor sucks right now especially across distances. I hope it improves.