wh1te

Environments in Reflex

Environment check.    48 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to have 3 different environments for each map?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

8 posts in this topic

So here's my idea that may sound a little bit silly.

We are supposed to have 3 different environments:

• Industrial
  • Gothic
  • Tech

What if those 3 environments were applied to every single map? For example:

DP2 - Industrial, Gothic & Tech

mazutourney2 - Industrial, Gothic & Tech

DP4 - Industrial, Gothic & Tech

Players will be able to choose each environment for each map in a main menu (map settings). So if the map's main environment is Tech and they would rather have a Gothic one, they can easily change it by changing it in the main menu. I think this idea would allow new players to have the environment they like which would attract wider audience because as we know, people as a customers like to have different options. This may be time consuming but I'm just wondering whether this should be legitimate thing or left untouched as there would be too much hustle around it. Peace! :)

namejs2002, Warlord Wossman and def like this

To save time for mappers making three different versions of their maps, I guess it could be done by having three sets of environment type textures (Gothic, Industrial, Tech) then assign each texture of an environment texture set with an ID. Then try to match equivalent textures from the other texture sets with the same IDs.

Sorry about the horrible explanation. I don't words very good right now.

I think every map should have 1 enviroment only, first time I saw the trailer I thought that some maps were gonna to have one theme and other maps were going to have another (see as cpm3 has gothic and cpm1 has tech)

But...

I guess it could be done by having three sets of environment type textures (Gothic, Industrial, Tech) then assign each texture of an environment texture set with an ID. Then try to match equivalent textures from the other texture sets with the same IDs.

Also makes a good point, as having an amount of textures with a ID for walls, others for the floor, etc...

Too much extra work for a virtually non-existent demand.

To save time for mappers making three different versions of their maps, I guess it could be done by having three sets of environment type textures (Gothic, Industrial, Tech) then assign each texture of an environment texture set with an ID. Then try to match equivalent textures from the other texture sets with the same IDs.

Environments also involve geometry as well as meshes, you don't want castle/dungeon structures on a scifi environment I presume.

I hear you can change textures via notepad or something, don't know how and haven't tried, but I'm assuming in this case you'd be replacing old texture directories with new texture directories.

goochie, Stalast and DraQu like this

Sorry about the horrible explanation. I don't words very good right now.

That's not likely to lead to anywhere near the same level of quality as map made with a specific theme in mind. This entire thread is kind of based around that notion that you could just flip switch to change the texture set. But a lot more goes into theme than textures. The way you trim things, bevel things, what types of detail you put and where, not to mention mesh props and the like.

wh1te, chronokun, Stalast and 3 others like this

I would like to have the maps look like minecraft, so I can install texture packs..

Ok just kidding. But I still like the idea of not playing a teslapunk-game..

Obviously people would want to have more things, but the fact is that this would eat a lot of  manpower which could be utilized in much better ways