Pill_

Seconds on the clock

Seconds on the clock?   66 members have voted

1. 1. Which system should be used in competitive matches?

• No seconds on the clock (timing purely by feel)
    • Seconds on the clock (timing by feeling and/or by using the clock)
    • Timers should be used in competition
    • Timers for any majors you picked up should be shown in competitions

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

47 posts in this topic

So now that newborn has stated item timers will be removed in the future, the next question becomes whether or not the game clock should show the exact second in comp mode. Personally I prefer no seconds, feels more like raw skill imo.

If this topic has already been discussed ad nauseum, the mods can delete this thread, I won't make an esr thread defending my first amendment rights.

Timers !!! =D

But considering what newborn said, I would prefer with seconds, mostly because of the new players.

Timers !!! =D

But considering what newborn said, I would prefer with seconds, mostly because of the new players.

The new players would play with the item timers anyways, might as well remove all timers from the locked down mode.

LoNeZiLLa likes this

Timers !!! =D

Well we're talking about comp mode here, competition shouldn't compromise for new players imo

edited poll to make myself clearer

Edited by IAMPILL
DraQu and LoNeZiLLa like this

holy shit... what's next? remove health/armor bar? Cuz you should know that also! raw skill man!

I'm so annoyed by this community lately...i wish newborn would just tell everyone to stfu, not listen to anyone (besides a few of the testers) and do his thing. Apparently everyone in this community knows everything better anyways. May it be gameplay ....art or whatever. 

holy shit... what's next? remove health/armor bar? Cuz you should know that also! raw skill man!

I'm so annoyed by this community lately...i wish newborn would just tell everyone to stfu, not listen to anyone (besides a few of the testers) and do his thing. Apparently everyone in this community knows everything better anyways. May it be gameplay ....art or whatever. 

You're misunderstanding the issue at hand. It isn't about what is 1337 mlg hardest shit ever (or at least I think it isn't), it's about what kind of skill you want to reward. Clock with seconds rewards being able to translate what you see and hear into information and keeping track of that information while also juggling everything else you need to do, clock without seconds rewards a more instinctive understanding of what's going to happen next. IMHO the latter is a purer, more natural (and plain more fun) way of distinguishing between players that ties in better with the other aspects of the game.

@above edited the poll

Disabling seconds on clock is literally pointless. It's so easy to have an overlay with your own clock.

In a perfect world where nobody cheats, I would like no clock if there's going to be no timers, but that isn't the case.

If there's not gonna be timers, I don't see the point of not timing items by feel. Timers and seconds on a clock are pretty much the same thing, only difference is that one of them is just slightly bit more confusing.

It would be ideal to have timer binds that the player would have to press active themself, one for 25 seconds and one for 35 seconds. 

Disabling seconds on clock is literally pointless. It's so easy to have an overlay with your own clock.

In a perfect world where nobody cheats, I would like no clock if there's going to be no timers, but that isn't the case.

The same goes for timers right? If those are gonna be removed, might as well go all the way.

In the end, the best anti cheat is simply LAN. A competitive ruleset should be designed around that, not online play.

The same goes for timers right? If those are gonna be removed, might as well go all the way.

In the end, the best anti cheat is simply LAN. A competitive ruleset should be designed around that, not online play.

Most competition is online these days, LAN isn't that important anymore.

Stalast likes this

Most competition is online these days, LAN isn't that important anymore.

True, but I don't think the fact people might cheat online should be that important in design decisions, because in the end, if someone wants to gain an unfair advantage, he's gonna find one if he tries hard enough. Hell you could even argue that if a cheater is subtle enough about it not to get caught, he's not even all that different from a legit player in terms of challenge (operative word is could).

Well there's another level of effort required for timing items manually, and it would depend on whether the global sound stays or not, which is yet to be announced for the new sound engine.

It would be silly to develop a competitive ruleset around LAN considering only the top 1% of players will actually benefit from the ruleset whilst the other 99% of players have to deal with a sub-optimal ruleset for online games.

I don't really care, because I don't like Duel, FFA and TDM. I don't really like the idea of timing and map control in general, my favourite game modes are Clan Arena and CTF, where timing is not important, and you basically spawn with all the weapons and you only need to worry about the shooting and tactics in CTF. But I voted for the seconds in timers, because I don't see a reason why they shouldn't be there.

an analog clock. Has three hands, a black one, a red one, and a blue one. The black one shows seconds of current minute. The red one is 25 seconds ahead of current seconds and the blue one 35 (or whatever mega respawn is). Show minute as a number somewhere else.

chin_0k likes this

Seconds or no seconds both reward a different type of skill (as Pill said).

I find that rewarding mental maths is not interesting within a fast FPS game. Having seconds puts the actual fighting in too much of a secondary role within the game. In other words, it's much easier to beat someone who has better DM skill than you when you can know the second each pickup will spawn.

Having no seconds on the clock encourages practicing more to learn the timings on an instinctual level. It is still very possible to beat someone who has better aim/DM, but it takes a more proportional amount of game knowledge to do so.

Making the actual shooting part the part which translates the most efficiently into winning games makes the game much more enjoyable, and much more rewarding to practice.

Just my opinion.

Sooint, Grybzt, LoNeZiLLa and 3 others like this

I like how everybody just assumes that  a locked hud will be the default.

Just noticed that as well.

"Which system should be used in competitive matches?"

It should say "Which system should be used in locked HUD mode".