newborn

Reflex 0.36 Preview

191 posts in this topic

I'm fine with minimialistic style, but I'm not very keen about this cartoonish style with blocky plastic looking guns.

​I think if the weapon colors were de-saturated it would look less plastic/cartoony.

Edited by nyro

This is hype! Looks really smooth and seems like a good solution to the artstyle.

Oh thank god, guys.

One: This looks *great*

Two: You didn't go with the 'lets be like a more retro-retro of bioshock meets elctropunk fantasy'.,. no offense, but that look would have driven me batty after a while. :P

This mid-range low-fi sci-fi setting and look is *great*, and you devs are right on the money on all points. How do I throw more money at you? :P

Btw, what will happen to simple see through textures like the wire fence for instance? I'm hoping you'd be willing to let stuff like that stay at the least. 

spessu_sb likes this

Really sorry but I don't like this art style. I do not believe it will appeal to a very wide audience, is very much a downgrade from the current art and is a great disappointment. Sorry but I gotta give this a thumbs down. I hope others are with me on this one too.

HaraldQuake and MaGicbush like this

Goodbye beautiful Reflex :'( 

I agree. Goodbye placeholder weapons models, goodbye placeholder meshes, sounds and everything else ;'( 

Rest in peace alpha, the beautiful Reflex version :/

lel

Mizzu likes this

Yes and no. I agree to the bonuses listed out by the devs, but I'm also disappointed that there won't be 2D textures or the possibility of adding custom textures. It's a huge portion of mapping gone after all. I had some ideas for making some HR giger esque textures like in some games I've worked on earlier and later meshes after I've had some practice with that. 

i really welcome the upcoming update

the way of art it goes is just perfect for this type of game.

there will still be semi-textures available which can be used for brushes AND meshes and everything is free to be set up. like colors, size, even sounds can be applied to brushes or whatever. like walk on this brush -> properties (sound like water footsteps) etc.

this will give SO MUCH possibilities. 

right now u do a brush and set a texture on it (e.g. floor) - done

what does that look like? ye, looks like a plain floor with a 2d texture on it - wow thats awesome

what can we do with next update? draw a brush for the floor, apply floor meshes on top, color them -> THIS IS AWESOME! we will have 3d feelings for objects, surfaces, everything. no more boring plain walls everywhere with tons of hours spend for brushwork to make it look a little more sexy

u can create every kind of theme u like. not just industrial, gohtic,.. whatever. 

this update will change the appearance of reflex by 180°, in a good way

now stop complaining and wait for the results. be happy. we have great progress to come

reflex is the best!

Smilecythe, Narzdy, AND and 15 others like this

Btw, what will happen to simple see through textures like the wire fence for instance? I'm hoping you'd be willing to let stuff like that stay at the least. 

​We'll be doing them as meshes, which will look better. For most part, we'll be creating meshes that can be used as a 1:1 replacement for any texture's we've developed so far.

Ugh not another game using TF2 graphics. I was digging the better artwork you actually had to spend some time on :P. To bad, and I am now regretting my decision to buy the game at least I got it on sale :). I highly doubt my friend will ever buy the game now though.

TornadoStorm likes this

i like the robot portal type aesthetic way more than more quake/medieval new aesthetic

i just wish the game had a bit more lenience in jump time than 400ms or watever because i find this type of precision movement very difficult but i love team death match and duel and wish to move like that too without spending forever to learn it so precisely 

this game is very very deep tho which is nice and probably shouldnt ever be made easier 

maybe i will just suck 4ever idk

i own a gun tho 

Edited by dare

Ugh not another game using TF2 graphics. I was digging the better artwork you actually had to spend some time on :P. To bad, and I am now regretting my decision to buy the game at least I got it on sale :). I highly doubt my friend will ever buy the game now though.

​IKR???

But I understand why they made this decision now. They are currently low on funding and have a very small team. It would take ages to finish the game at the team's status right now, so I'd rather have it simple and done rather than never finished :/

i just wish the game had a bit more lenience in jump time than 400ms or watever because i find this type of precision movement very difficult

​i suspect you're having trouble with the doublejumps? making the timelimit bigger will not solve your problem (its 300ms), you'll just end up doing doublejumps in situations you probably don't want them.

and the frustrating thing about the movement is also what makes it great. you cannot simply learn the mechanics and suddenly every jump works. at its core, every double/stair/ramp-jump is hitting the jumpbutton twice in rapid succession. but theres a little more to it, like which movementkeys to press, and how to move your mouse.

so, with most semi-hard jumps(like stairs2ra on cpm22, or stairs2mh on cpm3) you will over time start messing them up less frequently, but you will still fail them from time to time. its a neat "analogue" system, as opposed to "press special button to wall run".

AND, tuhmapoika, dare and 1 other like this

​i suspect you're having trouble with the doublejumps? making the timelimit bigger will not solve your problem (its 300ms), you'll just end up doing doublejumps in situations you probably don't want them.

and the frustrating thing about the movement is also what makes it great. you cannot simply learn the mechanics and suddenly every jump works. at its core, every double/stair/ramp-jump is hitting the jumpbutton twice in rapid succession. but theres a little more to it, like which movementkeys to press, and how to move your mouse.

so, with most semi-hard jumps(like stairs2ra on cpm22, or stairs2mh on cpm3) you will over time start messing them up less frequently, but you will still fail them from time to time. its a neat "analogue" system, as opposed to "press special button to wall run".

i agree the toughness factor adds to the depth and precision of the game immensely and is why i think standardizing the type of physics/movement maps etc as an esport is important 

*weirdest comparison ever*

​...... you have actually looked at those pictures, right? If yes you should realize they look vastly different. In fact..... the top picture is exactly what reflex looks like now. Flat, block ....but textured.

I'm all for meshes. Meshes are great. Meshes are love. Meshes are life.

arkcoss, AND and dansen like this