Gangland

Why do you play Reflex?

137 posts in this topic

I used to play on a lot of kz (climb) and bunnyhop servers when I was still really into Counter Strike, but I was saddened by the fact that I couldn't actually do anything with my movement skills outside of kz/bunnyhop/surf servers. In competitive CS:GO, bhopping is very harshly restricted and there are only a few useful jumps you can pull off in the current competitive maps. I don't remember how I heard about Reflex, but once I saw a video explaining the movement system, it went instantly into my to-buy list even if it was just to jump around on a local server. I don't have a huge history in Arena FPS games and this is the first real entry for me to the genre, and so far, I'm really enjoying it. I just wish I had discovered it sooner.

wrjthe, lumpp, Spannzer and 5 others like this

I sexually identify as a red armour, I feel at home being timer-ed to the second by everyone and anyone.

Seriously though, it's a mix of multiple feelings, I've always thought team FPS lack enough individual skill to enjoy, team cohesion being the primary factor in most fps is really boring. Secondly, I play because I am in love with the idea of seeing improvements, which are a lot more noticeable in this game than any other.

There's a plethora of other reasons, movement, next to no randomness(rng is the devil), netcode, gameplay etc. I liked CPM so why wouldn't I enjoy this?

Spannzer, jstn and Gangland like this

I played Quake 3 from about 2002 - 2007.

I was a huge fan everything Quake had to offer in terms of skill in aiming ( flicks etc ), timing and most importantly... movement. I played religiously... hours and days on end with mates and had an absolute blast! Some of my best teenage memories were when we would play RA3 together and team up and take on whoever else was playing.

Once "Quake Zero" soon to become Quake Live came out I played for a while before feeling that the franchise had come to a bit of a dead end.

After years and years of not playing any games a friend of mine mentioned CS:GO and how it had a competitive system etc... after explaining it to me I jumped in and was instantly hooked on the comp mode of CS:GO.

The idea of being able to join a game and find others who communicated and worked together as a team without even knowing each other was a massive change in the way I remembered multiplayer gaming. 

Then there's all the different facets of the game and the meta game that also keeps me very interested.

From then I still play quite a lot of CS:GO Comp and find watching the pros playing highly entertaining.

The reason why I play reflex is because I feel that it's going to be the best of both worlds ( Arena FPS + Comp Match Making etc ).

Gangland likes this

I played Q2 and Q3 with Playstation when I was a kid. Tried QL when it came out, but stick with CS 1.6 because I was used to it. When CS 1.6 died, I started to play QL casually, but didn't play much because I had shitty laptop and wireless internet at the time. Got into CPMA by watching some frag movies etc. but thought it was too late for starting to play it anymore. Luckily very shortly I heard about Reflex through ESR and it was like dream coming truea. Had to get proper PC and internet connection after it.

Too bad I wasted too many years playing CS. I remember watching CPMA done by Vo0 some time after it was released, but I thought it was just some old frag movie and nobody was anymore playing CPMA, silly me.

Gangland likes this

A friend of a friend who used to play CPMA showed me the kickstarter page. The only arena FPS I had played at that point was a few hours of QL a couple of years ago, but never got into it. After having never been satisfied with my library of games in terms of movement mechanics (after having been a Portal 2 speedrunner, it made me grow hungry for interesting movement mechanics in FPS), when I seen the phrase 'skill-based movement mechanics', I was interested. I bought the game on early access release day and didn't really know what I was doing, I just jumped around doing cs-style bunny hopping in FFA and it was pretty laggy and not great. I didn't get into Reflex until the netcode update came out. Getting absolutely decimated in 1v1 never felt better. That's when I grew to love and appreciate the genre. I've been hooked ever since :wub:

Edited by Stalast
Gangland likes this

Been following since the first news came out. Played a lot of Quake3 growing up, CPMA against bots. My first competetive experience was a few seasons of TF2, and then some CTF for a norwegian clan in Quake Live. Now I just screw around in reflex, sucking at duel and smoking fools in ATDM (hi all) while the game delevops, waiting for ctf etc. Reflex in the state it is in now is already my favorite game to play, so good job devs <3

Gangland likes this

I had always admired the skill displayed in QW and CPMA frag movies and about 5-6 months ago finally got around to install an arena shooter game, or three. Reflex and the two earlier mentioned. I had played UT99 as a kid (at my friend's house) and played a couple weeks of QL in 2010 and tried Warsow like a year ago but I didn't take a liking to the games. I come from Halo 1 (TDM & CTF) where the skills don't really transfer to this game but I find these movement mechanics super fun.

At the moment just flying around on arena servers, getting rekt in duels and waiting for CTF mode. Awesome job, devs!

Gangland and Owl like this

Because nostalgia and the revolutionary ingame editor. Played lots of CPMA back then but since I wasn't any good at the game I branched out to mapping and tricking with lots of public Clan Arena sprinkled on top. Loved the casual fun and intensity of pub CA, all the fun parts (movement + aim), none of the stress (timing + stomping).

Saw and still see the potential in Reflex to stand on the shoulders of CPMA and reach new heights without all the baggage associated with the old q3/cpma/osp.

Gangland likes this

Played OSP CA with promode settings before... Never really took the step to QL and felt that it was time for an "upgrade".

Gangland likes this

I think it's the best Arena-FPS around.  Succeeds magically where all other games fail, like netcode.  It's quite the perfect little invention if you ask me.  It plays as good as any game has in this genre.  Quake Live?  You can pay ten bucks and have quality maps coming out of your ass, weekly, until the game dies.  I hope it does very well.

Gangland likes this

I played a lots of Q3 with bots as a kid, got back into quake with QL a few years ago. I heard about Reflex when the kickstarter was launched and have been hooked eversince. I think it's the FPS with the most potential at the moment. First time I'm having fun just jumping around by myself on a server.

Gangland likes this

Hey this is a fairly political opinion so if you're drama/offense averse or there are rules against this type of thing on this forum I'd ask the mods to censor this first instead of letting it kick in.

Perhaps people won't care at all, this is just my opinion and I'm a no one.

I'll support Reflex because it's an attempt to Standardize E-Sports gameplay, much like Quake Live did with Quake 3's gameplay when Quake 4 didn't take off (except it's even better because it's CPMA). 

I believe the standarization of E-Sports gameplay in games followed by E-Sports Fans is very important. This means right down to nuanced gameplay mechanics like circle jumping, strafe jumping, the map heights and shapes, and physics, the core components that make the game an E-Sport. I'm open to new changes and adaptations but I still think the most competitive style game should be the one copied.

To me this opens up many possibilities like returning personalities in the E-Sport aside from just casters. Similar to Starcraft or Counter Strike's communities where the players themselves get fan bases and become heroes. 

Obviously Quake has seen this happen positively many times before with Rapha Fatal1ty Strenx and some of the posters here on this forum or reading this thread etc, but we must realize, there is a trend in big money games to dumb them down especially for the console generation in an attempt to make them more appealing to mass gamers.

I personally don't know what the next Quake game will play like.

I don't play Quake I'm not a Quake pro I'm just a spectator who watches the E-Sport.

I am however probably flat out the best player in the major game franchise I come from and have been elite in it for a very very long time. I've seen what happens when new games come out and change the mechanics. I've seen the failure that results from that.

People grow up and move on.

Others want to play games at a PRO level well into their 30s (possibly longer who knows, we're the first generation to do this).

I'm probably one of those people or if not, at the very least I want to spectate a good game that interests me competitively and mechanically that I can play casually like this one where there a personalities and people to follow. 

I think heroes are important in sports.

Changing the gameplay every new game and bringing in a new crop of elite players while the old community's elites don't participate because the game has changed drastically or is dumbed down and boring kills franchises and all the long term profit from having those same recurring spots heroes and associated fans interacting with the series.

What incentive as a fan do I have to pay attention to some game that's only played by a fresh crop of 16 year old shit talking kids like COD?

These E-Sports got popular for a reason and evolved with it. Sometimes they don't need to be changed sometimes little tweeks are okay imo.

It's time we start treating E-Sports like real sports with longevity and real heroes.

This is why I love Reflex FPS and what it's trying to do and support it fully and 100% and have bought it for my friends. I would give this game away if I could it is that good.

IF this games succeeds phenomenally I hope it creates a trend in gaming and ripples out. And I hope we all help it succeed because it is perfect imo. 

g0d bl3ss ~ nameste ~mother fuckers 

Edited by dare
kawa, Duster_casting and Gangland like this