Gangland

Why do you play Reflex?

137 posts in this topic

Because I enjoy the development process. I don't particularly like defrag and I dislike dueling and making maps... I just like hearing about the game and its progress even if I have no desire to play it.

tangy and Gangland like this

my movement learning curve is better in reflex, in two months I can do some basic jumps and some more advanced.

now i'm on the combo moves _still a lot to learn...

the more I play duel the more I avoid playing duel [against so much better players than my newbie skill]

so I mostly play atdm [very good for learning rocket jumps].

hopefully for me there is a map editor...

I'm a creative person and this is a perfect tool for me.

like someone asked me :"when will you get better at reflex?"

my answer was simple:" when I'll stop mapping"

I like to map, to test and improve one while online with other players, giving you direct feedback.

Ok i'm not an afps player for long, even If I try to understand the rules and tricks for making good afps maps, I like to bring some other thing to it. let say my touch

I take any positive or negative feedback, this helps so much. thank you both haters and lovers, your comments are always welcome

Then after many changes seeing your map is working great is rewarding. 

one more thing about it:

mapping is learning, brushes placement for trickjumps, discovering new ways too [luck of the beginner or just playing with hazard]

getting better in movements while running your map, understanding item placement.

you are like NEO in the matrix :lol:

:wub: reflex

Electro, Gangland and sensi_ like this

I am old doom 2 competitive player, i had always passion for quake but i was never good at any quake. About 2 years ago i found cpma and channel on qnet and ppl started talking about reflex, i was p excited for the game. I bought it first day when it released and here i am. :)

Gangland likes this

Reflex is the only current afps title that is built buy a team that by nature does not focus on creating a cash cow product which results in one of the most community / love based engines of our time..

Edited by phgp_zEv
Gangland and dare like this

I no longer play QL because there's not much competition for team modes in the U.S., and I think Reflex could potentially (hopefully) be a successor to the genre and competitive FPS in general.  Imagining how Reflex's movement system could play for relatively large audiences in tournament settings gives me the chills.  It's fun, it's fast and it's damned hard, and that's all I can ask for in a competitive shooter, besides having an audience to compete with.

Here's to hoping.  Good luck, devs.

Gangland likes this

i've played a lot of of fps, q3/ql , wolf:et / et:qw , shootmania , some ut99 and some csgo lately, never been really good ad any of them. still i love to strafe and to duel, even if i'm very bad, and i hope i can get some fun from reflex. 

i wish i had more time to play it and i wish i found a duel buddy with my same time disponibility, until then i can't enjoy it very well and i can harshly train a bit in atdm servers 

Sky and Gangland like this

wall of text inbound

i knew about quake from my childhood and gigagames but i was never really into it and didnt knew about the movement

2011 i saw a defrag video called f33l which blew my mind into the orbit

defrag is just sooooo trippy maayyne

just a week later i found xonotic per accident and started to play it against bots

the first server i joined was a cts (defraglike) server and i was hopeless then someone named mr green came on and asked if i even knew about strafejumping

he explained me how to strafe jump for like an hour and went his way

was hooked for 2-3 years cts exclusively

after i spend some time strafing i saw someone posted: play more promode on some board and i thought why not?

that was like maybe a year ago

i got absolutly rekt in duel for 2 days till someone told me i can learn aiming well when i visit okidoki

then i got rekt even more for 6 - 12 months (cant quite remember had some small pauses inbetween but never longer then 2 weeks)

learned alot from the constant destruction i had to witness but after so much time i still got rekt

then i tried ql where i was rank 3 after 20 hours (what a fucking joke the elosystem is trash)

that bummed me out because im just an average player(or noob) and not a "veteran"

after that i bought reflex and now im here

just now ive got into the duel scene where i still get rekt (what a surprise haha)

since i started with arena shooter i havent looked back

so many great times so many names and its a shame i cant remember every single one of them

but i really want to thank itsme for keeping the cts server working and everyone who still knows me from back then as zativa

thanks to mysterious mister green who helped me learn strafejumping and whom ive never seen again after that

and maybe someone from okidoki remembers me too

and here too i found a lot of noice people

every quake like shooter has an absolutely awesome community which destroys you on one side but rebuilds you and helps you get stronger

so many times players took 2 hours of their time to explain me shit or i explained shit for 2 hours just because people want to help each other

such a huge sense of community is something you dont find often in other games

tl;dr

movement

insane shit

fun (something alot of games dont seem to have anymore)

and the community

Edited by MD
forgot to thank mister green yo
RAW, zokolate, Gangland and 1 other like this

Only playing Reflex cuz of what's coming in the future. If it stays CPMA 2.0 like now.... it'll be uninteresting. Engine feels great and i have no doubt it'll look good at some point. But gameplay/modes will effectively make or break the deal. I have faith.

Regards

Edited by FPSports - A. Benz
Gangland likes this

then i tried ql where i was rank 3 after 20 hours (what a fucking joke the elosystem is trash)​

The joke here is not the Elo system (which has nothing to do with QL by the way, it was developed for chess and no, it isn't trash), it's the fact that you thought someone might believe actually this.

Gangland likes this

why so hostile i said im not good at all thats why the elo bummed me out

i dont say i deserved this rank

i didnt deserve it at all

here you can check it btw

http://www.quakelive.com/#!profile/statistics/Belly_Smalls

mostly played ca and ffa

The joke here is not the Elo system it's the fact that you thought someone might believe actually this.

if you would have read my post you would see i dont believe in it at all

ps

fite me

Gangland likes this

I dont remember exactly why I decided to get the game on the first day it was available.

Think it may be because I like oldschool competitive games.

But now I like the game because of awesome maps, awesome HUD, Great armor system, Great netcode, challenging gameplay, and unlimited fps.

Gangland likes this

I've grown very tried of the current AAA shooters.  I spent more of my youth playing Quake (Quakeworld), Quake 2, and Quake 3 than I'd care to admit.  The community around the arena FPS genre and this Reflex community specifically is something I would love to be a part of.  

Gangland likes this

Many reasons:

• Fast-paced gameplay with its movement options. (Can't go back to any other shooter except for maybe Quake)
  • Competitive focus on 1v1. (Team-games can sometimes be very stressful, depending on the game)
  • Map editor meaning the community can support itself as well as the developers.
  • Smooth netplay.
  • Passionate developers.
  • And the things yet to come (CTF, Matchmaking to name a few).
Ohm sweet and Gangland like this

The top 1% of all Americans earn more than 50% of the wealth in this world. Now that statistic may be staggering but it is no where as ground breaking as this next statement. Less than 0.0001% who play the modification promode for Quake III Arena in this world account for more than 90% of the skill in competitive gaming and casual gaming alike.
— “GOD / ARQON” - Play More Promode

Arena FPS brings the best in terms of mechanics, strategy and competitive formats in shooters regardless of how overlooked they have become. Turbo Pixel is working to bring us the very best with a facelift, many features, tools etc and this is why i play reflex. Even in its alpha stage it has provided me with that "frag" fix i've been itching for.

ggsnipes, ultra, dare and 3 others like this

Because i don't find modern casual style non-depthful handholdy games interesting nor fun. Reflex is all about skill and thus only factor on winning is skill.

I actually didn't get to experience afps in their glory time since the way i played q3 forexample, was offline with bots back then :D I got internet connection about 5-6 years after q3 was at it's prime. Now i'm having fun time with reflex as mapper and as player.

Gangland likes this

I used to play some Quake 1 / 2 / 3 some years ago with friends, also some CPM and some QL.But I never was a serious (or even decent) player, and I hardly played on the internet (except for QL). I also did some level design for some FPS games in the past, and most likely I spent more times building FPS maps than playing them.

I came here to give Reflex a try when I heard about it, because I like such games and because QL seems to be dying. I bought it because I wanted to support the devs, who make such a game in a time of casual-style gaming. And I gotta say I like Reflex, but I don't see anything new or innovative in it. The current state feels like an uglier CPM to me. That's absolutely fine for me, CPM was great. I hope it will be enough to attract new players though.

I hope that this game survives and gets some cool new features that make it standout. And I hope that I will not have to play aerowalk and ztn every time I come back.

Gangland likes this

Looked fun, now I'm slowly learning how to play each map, it's fun to meet cool players that sit down and take the time to teach me new things.

Gangland likes this

gonna be totally honest here, please dont hurt me.

i came to reflex because i was running away from QL (and from BLR too). there is no need to drag on as to why QL is not a game i can "live" in anymore, but for me, it it. time to move on.

at first i was afraid (i was petrified) because i though here everyone was a CPMA pro and the skillcap would be too high and everyone would be a dick to me, but somehow i'm having fun and not doing too badly.

the trickjump maps are still too hard for me but normal gameplay i can manage.

Electro, Gangland, Yasashii and 3 others like this