Gangland

Why do you play Reflex?

136 posts in this topic

I play because it's what I deserved from quake but they did not deliver.  I play because reflex feels like qw on steroids. I play because the movement physics are more fun than quake and require more finesse. I play not because of duel, but because of community made maps, awesome devs and #1 the community isn't toxic. 

Edited by gojira_
I changed my mind. Dueling in this game is extremely good.
Yasashii and Gangland like this

Hi Im only 17.

When I was 12 I played a game called paradise paintball or now its called uber strike, it has very similar weapons to the arena fps weapons.

Later when I was 13 a friend of mine introduced me to Team Fortress 2 and then Counter Strike Source.

Really started enjoying difficult competitive shooters. I got 850 hours in Tf2 and 650hours in CSS now

With time my friend mentioned Quake when I was 14, I looked in too it and I fell inlove with Quake Live <3.

Now im 17  I love arena shooters I wanted to try as many different kinds as I could like: Warsow, UT4, Quake II, QuakeWorld, Wickland and finally my first cod game I ever dared buy; Cod4 Promod.

When I found out about reflex I was a little skeptical for playing because of the lag.

I later really got into it now, when I discovered about Q3cpma, not that I played it but it made me want to play reflex again.

Enzo Franchi

Gangland, Sky and gojira_ like this

It's great to hear so many are enjoying Reflex.

I approve of this thread. 

I got into making Reflex because i wanted a new afps to play and got sick of waiting ;)

Making a game that others can enjoy and bring people together makes all the hard work worth it.

Keep the posts coming, they're great to read :)

cheers

rook, Ohm sweet, Yasashii and 5 others like this

On teamfortress.tv someone posted the Reflex Kickstarter trailer when it first released, I was blown away and started looking into the game. I then found out about CPM and started playing it a bit before Reflex came out. I've been in love with Reflex since the minute it came out, because I was in the irc late at night waiting for newborn to announce that the game was live :>

gojira_ and Gangland like this

​What happened to okidoki anyway? Seen no one playing there recently.

​Well it got split up into 2 servers (the second one got created by smofo(i think) cuz he wanted to fix the game settings always resetting and having to be set again) and that was probably a bad idea since it was a small community anyway. Then Reflex came out so I think that had something to do with it as well. I didn't go on okidoki for a month or 2 while playing reflex and when I came back it was ded.

​Shoutout to UnnamedPlayer and all the polish cs kids

​I'm gonna miss that bastard, he taught me how not to be a sg camper nab.

Gangland likes this

I've always had an itch for shooters with "open" maps that really let me use the game's movement mechanics.

My first real shooters were Crysis 1 Multiplayer and CoD4. Both had some fun movement mechanics, the latter of which inherited circle jumping from quake 3 along with some fun bug-spawned movement mechanics of its own. Crysis was my dream game for a while, but it never really caught on publicly, so it pretty much quietly passed away over the course of a couple years. It's a shame they totally butchered the brilliance of it in the sequels. It really was something special. Almost everything about the game was server side; if you ran the server, you could pretty much tweak anything that had a number and then some. Every server was like playing a totally different game. Different TTK, different movement speeds, different weapon balance, etc.

Ever since CoD4 declined in pop, I've been jumping between F2Ps like Tribes Ascend, Planetside 2, and then Dirty Bomb. Over the past 4 or so years I have gotten very tired of progression systems. They suck all the joy out of a shooter, which at the end of the day should be about shooting. After four or so years of grinding, I just want to have fun again.

And then Reflex comes around. Timing could not have been better.

Edited by doombro
ique, Gangland and gojira_ like this

i've played a lot of of fps, q3/ql , wolf:et / et:qw , shootmania , some ut99 and some csgo lately, never been really good ad any of them. still i love to strafe and to duel, even if i'm very bad, and i hope i can get some fun from reflex. 

i wish i had more time to play it and i wish i found a duel buddy with my same time disponibility, until then i can't enjoy it very well and i can harshly train a bit in atdm servers 

​i'm your guy. i suck too so dont worry about that.

now we just need a friend feature to meet up ingame.

Gangland likes this

I guess it is bad topic but i would like to ask you something, i am wondering about buying it right now on steam for 10 euro, is it worth? Servers are not empty 24/7 and people play this game? Thanks.

Gangland likes this

I guess it is bad topic but i would like to ask you something, i am wondering about buying it right now on steam for 10 euro, is it worth? Servers are not empty 24/7 and people play this game? Thanks.

People play it more in Europe than in north America. I enjoy joining Euro servers as well as Australia. 

Is it worth it?  For me it was more than worth it. I came from quake and am pretty one-sided when it comes to fpsers. I barely liked halo, I really don't care for tactical shooters, although I was into CS when it was still just a mod in beta for Half-Life. 

If you're an arena fps fan and you love good movement, and enjoy a challenge with duels I'd say it's definitely worth it. If you don't like thinking and prefer just jumping into an objective based game, maybe not. 

Tl;Dr

Buy it anyways.  

Just make sure your system can run it.  By that I mean use nvidia video card. 

Edited by gojira_
Foobar
h2o and Gangland like this

Just make sure your system can run it.  By that I mean use nvidia video card. 

​I got Radeon r9 290, will it not handle it?

Gangland likes this

a r290 will give you 150+fps at ultra settings.

please keep in mind two things: reflex is not a mainstream game, and it's not easy. you dont need hundreds of people online to play, but it requires a bit more effort than your average shooter, more so because many people here are CPMA veterans. 

for $10 ,i think it's worth it.

Edited by Sky
h2o and Gangland like this

I got into multiplayer FPS games via TF2 a couple of years ago. Found out about Quake Live which was supposedly the premier old-school shooter but certain things pissed me off about it, such as:

• the dumb web interface
  • no community servers
  • map rotations
  • awful community
  • awful business model
  • getting rekt by veterans
  • no air strafing
  • awful graphics/sounds

Then the Reflex kickstarter comes along looking all shiny and slick, promising match-making, proper servers, good spec features, in-game map editing, steamworks etc. I didn't back it because it looked like it would fail and having to pay more and more just to actually play the game in early access put me off.

I bought it in early access and have been getting more into it. I like the smoothness of the movement (the awkwardness of strafe-jumping aside), the new maps that are coming out, the general friendliness of the playerbase, and being able to replace the hitsounds with some that are less aids.

Gangland likes this

I have been a player of Quake 2 and Quake 3, from what little I've seen going, is on the right track to be the successor of Quake Live (if finally just how it ends), the integration of Classic Arena and the frenetic style of CPMA are very strengths for these types of games.

I have good hopes for him.

Gangland likes this

I had a laptop that barely ran games, so all I played at that time was Quake Live / Q3. CTF and Defrag were my thing (and still are), I had very few duels played at that time. Friends left QL eventually so I stopped too

After getting my PC I hopped to competitive TF2 for few years until I burned out.

Reflex kicked in and I started learning the ropes again. And now I'm eagerly waiting on CTF :wacko:

Edited by LOBIED
Gangland likes this

I got my start in DM games in 1998 with Quake 2 and have played Quake 3, 4, QuakeLIVE, Unreal... pretty much a little bit of everything. CPM was my favorite of all the DM games I played and participating in WANsanity is one of my fondest gaming memories. 

Relfex obviouslly has a lot of CPM influence so it's pretty much a no brainer.  

Gangland likes this

I started with Q3 a bit then moved to casual QL. At some point I felt that QL is dying and tried MOBA (dota2). Was hooked on dota2 for 2+ years, but noticed how emotionally it is demanding, toxic community and matches taking 50-90 minutes. If I have 60minutes to space, I probably can't even start playing.

I wanted to replicate the feeling I had with QL. I was searching for few days looking for something like the next big fps game. CS wasn't for me - too slow- boring. I tried going in to TF2 - ok sort off, but still awfully slow. I was literally browsing internet sewage to find some alternative. I found references to Toxikk. 

I thought maybe this is it, I was holding money in my hand before buying Toxikk, just doing casual review reading in steam forum, when refleX come up, reflex who..?. I look a bit deeper in to RefleX and shout - "SHUT UP - AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!".

It's fast paced, skill based, it looks really nice (I never understood those Q3/QL players who would disable every visual)... all those TF2/CS:GO FPS feels like potatos compared.

But guys, I was actively looking for this kind of game for days... you could do better job at hiding better.

Gangland, RAW, Stalast and 1 other like this

Started playing shooters with Day of Defeat: Source. Got interested in gettin' good when I started playing Global Agenda. Running point denial and juking around in GA upped my game in terms of movement and positioning, and I went on to join an agency and learn quite a bit. After a while though, I realized I didn't have very far to go - almost everyone who used to be at the top had left, and I was in an unearned position at the top of the stack for my class as a result. I messed around for a bit and then went a bit more nomadic. Moved onto the Firefall beta after playing Tribes Ascend (and fooling around in Tribes 2) and while Firefall was a gigantic waste of time (focus shifted to PvE, devs never picked a specific set of design goals, most of the maps were not particularly interesting and did not enhance the gameplay experience) it was through there that I found out about CPM. A user called MassMan posted "Why Promode?" in an attempt to describe the sort of experience Firefall was missing.

I installed CPM soon after and played it sporadically until I figured out a few tricks. Then I got hooked. My aim has always been really inconsistent and leaning towards the awful side of the scale, but a few games let me bypass or compensate for it through movement. With CPM I could learn to out-time, out-position, out-predict, out-manage and out-move my opponents with enough practice. I love the diversity in skillsets and the wide range of possibilities in matches. I love that it's the sort of game where I can just pick a map and mess around in it with no opponents without getting bored. I'm also especially interested in the fact that there's a dedicated core group of players that ultimately just set an extremely distant goal for me to work towards. With Reflex, I get all of the above, and I can potentially get more people to try this style of play out

I can also spend even more time in-game thanks to the map editor, which accounts for way too much of my playtime considering how little I have to show for it

HaraldQuake and Gangland like this

I apparently play this game so I can shoot rockets at faces. I also played comp shootmania in AU, was alright while it lasted.

And I end up staying long enough to hear profanum to tell me "git gud" from warsow to cpma to reflex.

Gangland likes this

I quit cpm a couple of years ago, due to real life stuff, now I have a bunch of free time on my hands, so I picked up reflex.

Always loved rng-less pvp games, I couldn't get seriously into cs:go and the likes. Reflex caters to my every need.

Gangland likes this

why do ... i ... play reflex ? why ...

it's the world's premier flying death machine simulator ! the question should be: why don't U play reflex ???

Gangland likes this