Gangland

Why do you play Reflex?

136 posts in this topic

I used to play a lot of Action Quake 2 and Gloom (both Quake 2 mods) where movements played an important role in the game, strafe jumping and stuff. Tried Quake3 cpma/osp/defrag at many occasions around 2005 but it didn't catch on back then. Played some Quake Live before I found Reflex on kickstarter, and already by then I knew that I was going to buy it on release. :)

Gangland likes this

I like to play games with a high mechanical barrier to entry. once I get good at a game I get bored and move on, luckily I'm really bad at reflex (almost exceptionally so) so I'l probably never reach a level where I'm satisfied.

Edited by Flakx
Kyto, Gangland, doombro and 1 other like this

saw a post on r/pcgaming about this game called Reflex (The spiritual Quake CPMA successor) just after I watched some Doom gameplay and I new I had to support it :) 

I used to play a lot of CPMA around 13 years ago, was also in a clan called nDc (No Damn Clan)
Always like CPMA more then VQ3 because it was more like QW and HLDM, more movement techniques to learn, faster gameplay (weaponswitch, no footsteps)

anyway after that I stopped playing online FPS games.

I guess I'll be playing now for the nostalgia factor (I can still do that cpm3 double stair jump to mega \o/)
doing some ffa, maybe some pickups

Gangland, Owl and AwesomeAndy like this

Doom I-II when i was very young around 6.

Quake I-II single player

Duke Nukem

Then when I was a bit older Unreal Tournament 99 omfg this set it off for me. I got into serious competitive Instagib clans and tournies.

After UT99 sizzled down unfortunately i never played quake 3 arena I don't know why never knew anyone who played it.

I got into Quake Live beta and I was back into it, 24.7 Clan Arena nothing else. Quake Live went to steam a week or two after that my account did not work and I had a hole inside of me :( 

One day on youtube desperately trying to search for games like UT or Quake I ran into Reflex.

I hope Reflex really gains traction and takes off like quake arena and live did. Please let all the new school gamers and old school quakers and uters know about this game! Advertise people!

The hole steam community 99% of them are not into high skill based games so Im glad its on steam but if this is our idea to get a player base good luck with the "I like ez games" loving steam community.

Gangland likes this

I was playing tf2 but I got bored dying to the same unbalanced weapons every time I loaded up the game. I had tried out quake live but couldn't get past the horribly dated graphics as well as getting stomped by guys who'd been playing for a decade longer than me so that wasn't an option. I think I saw Reflex first mentioned on reddit and eventually I gave in and bought it. Reflex obviously isn't finished graphically buy I like where it is going and for some reason I don't end every FFA round at the bottom of the scoreboard so I'm pretty much hooked on it now.

Gangland likes this

I just picked up the game during the most recent sale, but I've been watching this game since it was first announced and hit Early Access. I'm a proud member of the 'old guard'; grew up playing Quake III Arena, Unreal Tournament, and all the old arena FPS. I enjoy playing modern FPS, but always yearned for the same kind of adrenaline rush that I used to get by hurtling across Q3A's maps and unloading rocket rounds. Managed to get a few fixes to hold me steady through botmatches in UT original, and what was left of UT3's community as well as Quake Live, but nothing was quite the same.

When I first dropped into a TDM game on Reflex, it was like sitting in an old, familiar, comfortable chair. Hello, old friend; good to see you back. I flipped Pandora radio open, turned on the power metal, and unleashed hades.

Stalast, Gangland and Skytoon like this

When I first dropped into a TDM game on Reflex, it was like sitting in an old, familiar, comfortable chair. Hello, old friend; good to see you back. I flipped Pandora radio open, turned on the power metal, and unleashed hades.

​I got chills reading this

FLeX and Gangland like this

long time UT / quake player here.

- #cpmpickup / okidoki server: dead
- quakelive: sucks
- UT: aside from a 10 minute DM match every now and then = dead
- csgo: got bored of it after a few months
- toxikk, warsow etc: meh, not very interested
- tf2: fun for a map or two every once in a while
- cod: lmao

i bought reflex a week or two ago and have been enjoying it so far. have mostly been playing atdm but would like to try regular tdm / tdmpickup a try (if there is such a thing already). hopefully we will see fewer quake maps in the future, i don't want to play atdm on dm6 in this game, might as well hit up ye ole q3 okidoki server then...

Gangland and HaraldQuake like this

...would like to try regular tdm / tdmpickup a try (if there is such a thing already).

​Join your regional reflex discord server if you want to find tdmpickup. Here is the European one. I don't have the links for other regions.

Gangland likes this

I used to play Quake 3/CPMA during my univerity years a lot with my roommates and a bunch of unknown people over the internet. Then several years were spent with other things and when I returned nobody was playing Q3 at all. Sometimes there were people on some servers but my skills faded and we never could play a good match. I even met people I used to play with years ago, still playing the same maps they played 5-10-15 years before - which made me glad and disappointed at the same time. Old friends went scattered all over the world so I remain alone to play Q3.

And now with Reflex CPMA gets resurrected and though still not many people play it I enjoy playing it even if I suck :D I always favored CPMA over Vanilla so I'm glad like hell to see it coming back. Not really played QL since I have a decent PC to run Reflex well. :D

Gangland likes this

Hi, I am completely new to cpma style games. I played ut2k4 for years and years on and off, but that game is dead. I saw this game on steam and read some reviews. I held off on buying it because I was afraid my 8 year old hardware couldn't keep up. Luckily I bought it anyways and found my computer can get by above 60fps :)

I really like this game so far. There are a lot of really skilled players and everyone is helpful and cool, even after the 30 to -2 beat downs I receive a lot. I hope this game explodes and brings back the good old days of real fps's to the mainstream.

def, Gangland and Stalast like this

I got it because it encourages the use of skill based movement rather than nerfing it like they have done in CS. Now that I have put more time into it I also see that the culmination of the movement, net-code, and overall consistency makes this game the pinnacle of skill based FPS, the best at Reflex is the best at all. I just got into PC shooters in 2011 with CSS, but I'd say my first taste of streamlined competitive shooters was probably Halo 2 tourneys me and some friends would hold.

Stalast and Gangland like this

Truth be told, I don't. 

I appreciate the gameplay and what is being done though, and I am interested to see where it is heading. At it's current state it cannot hold my attention as well as some other games, but this will probably change. I generally open it up to enjoy the excellent movement mechanics for a little break. 

Once the player base grows and skill gaps close I will for sure play it more. I'm at a point where I am either way better or the person I am playing is way better. 

I haven't played Reflex. In-fact, I only just purchased it within the last minute; it is downloading as I type.
My background in "gaming" started when my father bought me a computer I convinced him I needed for school (I really just wanted to play Quake 1).
It was a Pentium 1 200MHz with 16MB of RAM and a 2GB HDD. We eventually put a 3dfx Voodoo2 in it, overclocked her to 225MHz and upped the RAM to 32MB. It was a monster.

Anyways, I bought Quake. And I played it for years. Both online and off. (Omicron bots were the shiz as pings in Australia on US servers via dial-up left something to be desired).
I eventually teamed up with another computer geek at high-school. We would plan to have a LAN party and end up simply working on a Quake map for two straight days.

I eventually moved to Tribes, Tribes 2, Quake 2, Action-Quake, Unreal, UT, Half-life, Quake 3 and then... nothing. The genre stopped. Or perhaps girls were more interesting all of a sudden. But I still yearned for my old Quake days, where servers were full of awesome people that could land a rocket into ur crutch with the flick of their wrist, and then give you tips on how you can learn to do the same.

So i've been searching for my genre again now that i'm 32. "Arena FPS" wasn't the thing I was searching for; I had always called it "Arcade FPS". And the military recruitment FPS games just never did it for me. I mean, if I want a realistic military game, i'll just join the army and catch bullets. BUT... having hung out in a lot of QuakeWorld IRC channels tonight looking for my first love, I have stumbled across this forum; and because of this particular post, I decided to buy the game and get involved again. The community here reminds me oh so much of my old Quake days. You know, when people would show you the ropes after destroying you in DM.

I'll be back to report on my findings. Let's see if this old fart can still frag eh? More likely i'll be throwing my mouse at the monitor screaming "CHEATER!". I can't wait.

peace.

Edited by LukeHorror
Typo
Owl, HaraldQuake, def and 2 others like this

To get a better understanding of depression...

But seriously, because it incorporates every kind of aim, has really good netcode, no actual RNG, huge skill celling, runs very well, has really satisfying sound effects and I love this kind of an art style (prdm3, terit4 etc.).

Gangland likes this

On 2/9/2016 at 6:27 AM, banReflex said:

has really satisfying sound effects

Does anybody know if the effect that sounds like a toaster is actually the toaster? I would have never thought that something that sounds like a toaster could be so satisfying.

Gangland likes this

I am new to the whole Arena FPS Genre, and I bought Reflex cause it seemed less dead than the others :P

Gangland likes this

while i haven't been very skilled at arena shooters, i've been interested in them since a very young age, playing them off and on.

the movement of the quake games is by far my favorite thing in any video, the CPM ruleset's blend of quake 1 and quake 3 movement with the double jumps just feels good, even at a lower skill level or just jumping around the maps by yourself

and in general, i'm just a huge fan of stripped down, minimalist design, which the quake series in particular embodies. there are less than 10 weapons which are behave very differently but all have a purpose, just a few items scattered around the level and you start out with the same stuff as your opponent(s). the rest is up to you.
I have yet to find any other games that feel as good as the quake games do when it comes to competition, although there are a few street fighter games that come close (mostly third strike).

i took a break from video games for a few years to focus on creative interests but about a month and a half ago i really felt the itch to get back into quake.

i wasn't aware of quake live's current state since the transition to steam and i was a little but upset that they dropped the F2P model, but i went ahead and got it just to revisit it.
to put it lightly, i was mostly unimpressed.

the next day i read something about reflex and immediately bought it, and while i haven't been able to play it much other than getting a feel for the movement again and a couple of FFA games and one duel with someone in sweden (playing from texas!!)

reflex is the first game that has got my attention in a long time.

-the movement is fluid and incredibly rewarding (and fun) on its own.

-i have no prior map making experience but i was able to lay out some very basic stuff in an hour with the editor last night.

-the netcode is truly incredible

-the visual design of this game is beautiful, while being simple and clean enough to not distract from gameplay

-the game itself retains the simplicity and depth of the quake games that i fell in love with as both a player and a spectator

-it surprisingly ran a playable framerate (70-90ish) on a low end system from 2011

everything about it, even at this state just feels "right" to me. the couple of matches i've played were the most fun i've had with a video game in a long time.
i've finally got a reason to throw a lan party again. looking forward to my personal improvement as well, which i haven't really experienced with other games

capo, Owl, Delementary and 3 others like this