Gangland

Why do you play Reflex?

137 posts in this topic

Thanks @Jaguar! And thanks XD 

It would probably be lank high lol - I usually ping about 182 on servers in the UK and 198 on servers in Germany, and those are normally the lowest inernational pings I get >_< 

Gangland and Jaguar like this

Hi Everyone,

Well I found out about Reflex from a friend at least 4 months ago but I didn't think much of it or even look at a video for it until I saw it on steam sale and scored a 4 pack after looking at the insanely low player count on steamstats a few days ago, I thought as it's still in early dev i'll give it the benefit of the doubt and go with it as it's not expensive and I can get my friend the game as a gift and hopefully reinvigorate our competitive sides with this new game, my friend is a god at CSGO, i'm a god at TF2, and he's always complaining that I never want to play games with him as he mainly played css & csgo (2000hrs) while I whored tf2 (1700hrs)

I have a long history with video games, I was born playing quake and unreal tournament, arena shooters and fps games are my bread and butter but mind you I've not played an arena shooter for 7 years, I use to play Team Fortress 2 at a highly competitive level for years and i've still retained my prowess with the Soldier class even years after leaving the scene and game. I use to play a lot of Star Trek Elite Force Holomatch too if any of you remember that gem.

Reflex sold me with the movement mechanics (I love bunnyhopping and going as fast as i can while controlling items and dominating players with the rocket launcher) and with the sheer scale of customisation in terms of widgets, crosshairs etc, also because the rocket launcher is similar to the one in TF2 i'm having an easier time making the transition, but when it comes to the bolt rifle god damn i've got a lot of aim practice to do!

I'm loving it so far even though i have to stick to playing private games with friends as i've joined a few public servers and had players like Tripw1re wipe the floor with me:D

Cool little game :D
I played q2 in 99' ut, ut2k4, warsow a little and stopped playing for a decade.
I boot to windows now just because of this game every evening, and hop on to pub servers for a couple hours.

Gangland, Jaguar and Grybzt like this

Well, thought I'd chip in as a newcomer. I don't feel like opening a new thread just for my own experiences, so I'll use this opportunity to also list everything I like and dislike about the game at first glance. I've been playing for 3 days now. Basically, I came to Reflex because I've been told in another topic that it's possible to get a refund if I don't like a game. Normally, I hate the idea of paying for something that isn't finished yet.

And now that I'm here, coming from Quake, the reason I stayed is basically just that it's prettier. In specific, I like that the plasma gun is finally a cool weapon (in Quake plasma looks and sounds so childishly ugly that I feel like a little girl using it), grenades are finally usable (they seem to have a larger "hitbox", so you CAN actually hit someone with it when that's all you have off a fresh spawn, as opposed to just throwing it like confetti and then dying), I like the sounds, I like the visual style, I like how the warmup lobby works.

The things I don't like are the fact that the air control seems to be the only option(?) (i was more a fan of the "non-CPMA" movement), that there is no zoom (because now railgun is almost unusable for me since it's way harder to hit long-range, and it's too long of a reload time to use short-range), that there is no slow walk (harder to drop on small ledge, or peek down edges), there doesn't seem to be a way to view chat history (once a chat messages fades out, it's gone forever?), and that armours and weapons look transparent on the map! (they look as if the game is trying to indicate that this is where they usually spawn, it's just that they're not currently available because they had just been taken, and I just can't seem to get used to that one...).

It seems like Reflex specifically wanted to attack the CPMA-style, with the fast movement and fast/complicated maps, and for that reason I feel like I'll always need Quake as a second game to kind of go back and forth when I feel like chilling. Reflex has no chill.

Edit:

Thanks seekax, I didn't know widgets was a thing! That solves some stuff for me :)

34 minutes ago, I am not Mike said:

The things I don't like are the fact that the air control seems to be the only option(?) (i was more a fan of the "non-CPMA" movement), that there is no zoom (because now railgun is almost unusable for me since it's way harder to hit long-range, and it's too long of a reload time to use short-range), that there is no slow walk (harder to drop on small ledge, or peek down edges), there doesn't seem to be a way to view chat history (once a chat messages fades out, it's gone forever?), and that armours and weapons look transparent on the map! (they look as if the game is trying to indicate that this is where they usually spawn, it's just that they're not currently available because they had just been taken, and I just can't seem to get used to that one...).

It seems like Reflex specifically wanted to attack the CPMA-style, with the fast movement and fast/complicated maps, and for that reason I feel like I'll always need Quake as a second game to kind of go back and forth when I feel like chilling. Reflex has no chill.

There are various zoom widgets, have a look around the workshop and the forums. The chatlog you can read in the console (`-key).

I am not Mike and Gangland like this

Hello everyone,

so I decided to join these forums and jump right into this thread

I play almost everything but mostly FPS - mainly SP, been playing since wolfenstein 3d but i never went online in my games as SP was satisfying :), spent some time on cs, then moved to different genres (curse you rpgs) - i returned from time to time to q3 just to run around maps and defrag stuff...its just about two years i got into MP parts of FPS games and discovered css, new doom and now reflex arena just because how fluently i can move here - at my times i THOUGHT i was quite decent fps gamer, doom mp is going really well BUT i have really hard times with reflex as i get literally obliterated :D i score some kills now and then but most of the time i eat the dirt :D nonetheless reflex is a great game, maybe im not cutout for such games but i enjoy it nevertheless

so see you in arena (im gonna be the one deep down low lol)

Gangland likes this

9 hours ago, ruderal said:

Hello everyone,

so I decided to join these forums and jump right into this thread

I play almost everything but mostly FPS - mainly SP, been playing since wolfenstein 3d but i never went online in my games as SP was satisfying :), spent some time on cs, then moved to different genres (curse you rpgs) - i returned from time to time to q3 just to run around maps and defrag stuff...its just about two years i got into MP parts of FPS games and discovered css, new doom and now reflex arena just because how fluently i can move here - at my times i THOUGHT i was quite decent fps gamer, doom mp is going really well BUT i have really hard times with reflex as i get literally obliterated :D i score some kills now and then but most of the time i eat the dirt :D nonetheless reflex is a great game, maybe im not cutout for such games but i enjoy it nevertheless

so see you in arena (im gonna be the one deep down low lol)

I thought there was no way I was going to improve when I started. I did not want to change my sens but I could not move my arm fast enough to move around the map. So I changed my sens to a higher one and I improved :) Slowly, I was not good because I changed sens but being able to move around the map well really helped me. I'm still shit at timing somehow.

Gangland likes this

The Quakecon 2016 grand finales of Quakeworld and Quakelive got me hooked on afps, so I'm fairly new to the genre (Even though, I use to defrag a lot on Quake 3).

I play Reflex because I think it's technically the best afps on the market with the most earnest devs team and community to support it.

I'm not decided on all the current gamedesign decisions so far (I really like Quakeworld gamedesign on almost all aspects) but they are small details compared to TDM and CTF that I hope the devs will add with all the truly teamplay-oriented features and gamedesign decisions to support it.

Gangland, wrjthe and Goulox like this