Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Narzdy

Reflex - Discord Server ( cross between IRC & TeamSpeak )

26 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Some of you may be aware of a new free app for gamers called Discord ( discordapp.com )

Discord is a browser, desktop client and phone app based service which is basically a mix of TeamSpeak and IRC... here's me explaining it badly...

It's incredibly useful and best of all... it's FREE! We can have multiple text channels ( they function like IRC ) and also multiple voice channels ( functions like TeamSpeak etc ) all within one place.

I've used this with one of my competitive teams and it makes life so much easier where I can join in the discussion with the team whether i'm at work, on the bus, out shopping and at home. It's amazing. You can receive notifications for @mentions and even personally message people etc through it as well.

I thought this may be handy as most people ( like me ) would like to be connected to the Reflex IRC 24/7 and talk and discuss with the devs, however... I've found IRC apps to be really useless on my phone, keeping credentials logged in through the browser a pain and of course I can't exactly have IRC installed at work either... PLUS Discord handles more than just that... I could pickup a game with someone in the channel and then we can create our own voice server for our match, I can discuss mapping with an experienced mapper and then actually start talking to him through a mic while jumping in a server with him.

I ask you to join and discover Discord first... if you like the concept and idea of bringing the community together in one space where we can all chat and discuss in REAL TIME... I will keep it open.

I've setup a reflex server which I invite you to come and join :)

Reflex Discord Server

Edited by Narzdy
Updated with a video explaining it more.
klyph0rd, MAD_JIHAD, MnstH and 6 others like this

It seems like an interesting app, I am willing to try it out. However your Reflex server link is not working anymore, it says "The instant invite is invalid or has expired.". Is it possible to create a persistent server?

Updated the link, the "share server" option defaults to having the link expire in 30 minutes. I've now made it so this link will not expire :)

Seems cool, just difficult to get people to pick up and leave things they've been using for years even if you have something vastly superior it might not take off. 

Would it be possible to pin this post on the forum? Discord really has potential and more people should join.

I've just made a quick video explaining it really badly... I'm sick so bare with me. Plus my main desktop is currently rendering so using my chromebook to record the video.

Unquestionably better than IRC.
Same codec as Mumble, I have no idea as of yet how the latency compares.

Definitely click that link above and try it out; literally takes 5 seconds to type in your nick before you join the server :)

wow, that statement

​It currently has features IRC doesn't, and I am not aware of any areas in which IRC has the edge -- maybe away messages or something else?
Please feel free to enlighten me; if I'm missing out on some wonderful aspects of IRC I would love to know know about them.

However, Discord is easier to begin using, has a nicer interface, a better online application then any online IRC client I have ever used, and the interesting feature of integrated VoIP.
It seems to me this is a much better approach to constructing an environment in which people can communicate in real time than IRC is.

Ed: I'll put it this way. When I first saw this post I thought, "Meh, I'm too lazy to try using something new."
Then a couple days later I saw new activity in the thread and thought I might as well click the link. Five seconds later I was in the chatroom, all logged in, and looking at a much better UI then if I had been linked to webchat.quakenet.org

Edited by klyph0rd

if you want away messages change to a network that supports leaving messages for users, use a bouncer (such as znc) or a service (such as irccloud)

​you see, and thats a fuss. discord is just 3 clicks and you are done.

Hi everyone , as promised in my introduction video to Discord, I will be giving away a copy of Reflex tonight!

28th August - giveaway 1 copy of Reflex
9th September - giveaway 1 copy of Reflex
11th September - giveaway 1 copy of Reflex
18th September - giveaway 1 copy of Reflex
25th September - giveaway 1 copy of Reflex

If you would like to go in the draw for a copy of Reflex all you have to do is mention me (@narzdy enter me) ( LOL ) in the #global chat and I will enter your name into the draw. 

Make sure you let your friends know about the Reflex discord server and invite them to join and enter the draw.

The winner will be drawn at 7pm Friday, 28 August 2015 (GMT+12)

Link to our Discord server here: https://discord.gg/0SrnNbgr3f6Mz9kt

Edited by Narzdy
klyph0rd, gojira_ and LKSR like this

The real important question is, does it have a ncurses client for *nix terminals?

​i guess thats not really the target audience of a modern chat client

Edited by NeuerGolf

​i guess thats not really the target audience of a modern chat client

​Especially a chat client focused on gamers, a group primarily using Windows :/