tehace

competition
Competitive Duel Map Contest

68 posts in this topic

You can check the submissions at https://contest.thc333.com/

PLEASE NOTE: all the judges can freely add/modify their ratings/comments until 1.1.2016 (and atm lavacups review/rating are purely fictional).
if you would like to download all the maps here is a zip for you - thc333.com/reflex/contest_maps.zip
I've also uploaded all the maps to turbopixel hosts.

Description:

I would like to host a competition for a duel map. Rules are simple make a duel map and post it here. There are no specific requirements although if you post 3 rectangles we might ignore your submission. While the visuals are important the most important criteria is the gameplay. There is only one submission per person allowed.

Judges:

• Qualx - the spawn master
  • tehace - general layout / balance
  • memphis - gameplay
  • HAL_9000 - map basher
  • def - general layout / balance
  • arkcoss - visual supervisor
  • newborn - the creator

Players EU:

• Kyto
  • gaiia
  • DraQu
  • Lunokhod-2
  • Bjarke
  • Xatrix
  • HAL_9000
  • memphis
  • Rama

I'll post players that have agreed to play in the minicup here so the winner can choose 4 to play in the minicup.

Prizes:

Organized and streamed mini-cup on a wining map. We'll take care of the stream/cast and will get players to play in it.

Submissions:
I'll be updating this section with the submitted maps once in a while.

The Process:
We'll set up a sheet for judging map where every judge will score the map in categories like visuals/gameplay/etc. and will have the option to write map specific feedback. Once the contest is over we'll publish all of them for every submitted map so there is possibility of getting more detailed feedback but its not 100% guaranteed. Thanks to Benz all of the maps will be hosted on ARENA FPS hosts so people can play them and give out their scores.

Contest will run until the end of November with 31.11.2015 being the final date to post your map.

If you want to update your map in the process please use reflex files and post your revisions there and just have one link in here.

We're going to give judges a month to familarize themselves with the maps and judge them properly, therefore the minicup will take place sometime early in january. More details will follow once we'll get closer to the actual event, we'll get in sync with the winner to talk about the details.

Edited by tehace

Very cool contest. Might have to submit a map to these forums finally just for the fun of it! Will the judges also be giving feedback to the maps? Or just judging? I know i'd have a bigger chance to submit somehting if I got feedback, even if I knew I cant win.

Edited by Yodsanklai

Great idea! Someone well versed in race maps should try and organize something equivalent to race maps ;)

​Hell yes. Once the 0.37 changes to movement are sussed this should definitely happen.

Skytoon likes this

added more detailed info about the whole process, updated with some player names that already confirmed their willingness to participate in the minicup.

Why wasnt i invited :'(

​you're never around for the time of competition although I think there are less festivals and shit in winter ;p shoudl I add you to the list of minicup participants?

If you're going to build any extremely low ceilings for headbumps etc, just remember that the player will be 70u high. There should be absolutely no other changes you need to make to your maps (and in fact, doing so is strongly discouraged as it makes the larger players pointless).

​you're never around for the time of competition although I think there are less festivals and shit in winter ;p shoudl I add you to the list of minicup participants?

​You didnt even ask nor i know the date of the tournament so i dont know. Work takes many weekends from me, so every possible tournament there is i will take part as much as possible. + i only go to one festival in every year :(

Edited by danskq

Oh, and btw, yes. Im in if i can join? IM IN FOR EVERY TOURNAMENT THERE IS, aslong as its possible with my work times :D

If you're going to build any extremely low ceilings for headbumps etc, just remember that the player will be 70u high. There should be absolutely no other changes you need to make to your maps (and in fact, doing so is strongly discouraged as it makes the larger players pointless).

​Why the larger players? Is it to compensate for the smaller hit area of the capsule? Also you should totally expect people to make their maps larger for the larger player models, its just going to happen when it feels more cramped, even if the scaled up model has the same surface area for the hit area. Also RIP jumping off peoples heads. :(

hi all!
My first attempt. 

YOBA.light

​ Looks like this is only the lightmap. Make sure to upload the .map file with the same name as well.

Edited by Warlord Wossman

thanks for the submissions guys I'll download all the maps from reflexfiles at the end of the contest so any changes that you would have there will be taken into account.

SickDownlink likes this