promEUs

prdm3-Ruin

30 posts in this topic

PRDM3 - RUIN

prdm3-Ruin is a competitive combat oriented 1v1 (duel) map!
Feedback is encouraged and highly appreciated

WORKSHOP LINK

REFLEXFILES LINK (OUTDATED)
The Reflexfiles will remain the same (high performance/no meshes version) But I won't keep it updated gameplay wise.
:ph34r: Some screenshots to bait people into downloading :ph34r:

quQIWcr.jpg

JFTuOxy.jpg

PJC, Mizzu, fht and 17 others like this

This map has potential! 

I played on it in an earlier version and there was a lot of fun. I have to check out these new and let you know. Keep it up!

Update 02/11/2015 REFLEX FILES LINK
- Slightly changed the 50health teleport target with a new platform
- Changed some trims around to allowed for smoother gameplay/navigation (Grenade launcher, as an example)
- Widened the 50health area
- Added a clip above RA stand
PS - The lightmap might be broken, takes a few seconds to build and i will probably soon update it again so i couldn't be bothered :^)

Getting closer to actually doing an art pass for this map now!​​​​​​

Edited by promEUs

Finally played some duels on this today. I really like the map, but have nothing to complain about. I was in control for most of the duels, but when I wasn't it wasn't hard to regain. So, good job? :D

Played it properly last night (finally), very very good map. Lots of places to trap with LG which is fun. Hope to see this and XY2 making it into some tournament map pools

Update 13/11/2015 REFLEX FILES LINK
- reduced the size of the 50health teleport target platform
- Widened the 50health area again :>
- moved the mega platform a bit closer to the jumppad
- increased size of the YA grate
This is mostly to be used as a "high performance" version as people tend to play reflex on their toasters..

..​Actually going to do the visuals for the map now.. :D

Skytoon, arkcoss, Owl and 1 other like this

15 hours ago, promEUs said:

As 0.38 is now released, so is the visual pass for this map.
If people have any feedback to either gameplay or visuals, feel free to post it here
Enjoy!

My reaction to prdm3.

9 hours ago, F14m3z said:

My reaction to prdm3.

"it's probably top5"
"first time played this map"
"i dont know its just frustrating when u see a map someone put so much time in and then it doesnt even work"
"i dont relaly like it... too overcomplicated. kind of suxx nothing works"
"spawn's suxs"
vote cpm22

:blink:

Warlord Wossman, def, Owl and 1 other like this

14 hours ago, F14m3z said:

My reaction to prdm3.

You mentioned that the spawn at top yellow (near the plasma)  means you have to go straight to the red, but really its a quick route to red or the mega.

I think the starting spawns are pretty even. Even if one person gets mega+YA and another gets YA+RA, you both should have rocket launchers and another gun and pretty equal stacks.

I've had some of the closest and fairest games on Ruin and havent yet felt dicked over by spawns or weapon layout. You need to play more games on it before you say "its a shame when someone puts so much effort into a map and it doesnt even work".

Bit of a dismissive statement after game 1.

Warlord Wossman likes this

58 minutes ago, neeple said:

You mentioned that the spawn at top yellow (near the plasma)  means you have to go straight to the red, but really its a quick route to red or the mega.

I think the starting spawns are pretty even. Even if one person gets mega+YA and another gets YA+RA, you both should have rocket launchers and another gun and pretty equal stacks.

I've had some of the closest and fairest games on Ruin and havent yet felt dicked over by spawns or weapon layout. You need to play more games on it before you say "its a shame when someone puts so much effort into a map and it doesnt even work".

I was going to say something like that.

The fact that he could have won the game if he didn't give away that one frag where he was just going back to the "terrible" wall and stood there doing nothing is funny.
 If you watch the video you can see that he just made some bad plays (and ofc that happens to everyone) but you can't just label everything as the maps fault. The map is not perfect and I think every map might have some weak points tbh but just saying it is trash after one game is basicly just the result of him being salty in that one situation.

And speaking as a mapper myself I don't think that you can point out tons of issues and say the map has broken item placement, broken spawns and basicly broken everything after only playing one game. In general I would say that you should try to not act like you know the duel meta perfectly because your "analysis" at the end is questionable at all ends. There is a lot going on in Reflex and you can't just base your entire feedback on some situations.

This is not meant to be offensive btw.

F14m3z likes this

6 hours ago, fht said:

"it's probably top5"
"first time played this map"
"i dont know its just frustrating when u see a map someone put so much time in and then it doesnt even work"
"i dont relaly like it... too overcomplicated. kind of suxx nothing works"
"spawn's suxs"
vote cpm22

:blink:

1 hour ago, neeple said:

The way the layout is working right now splits the map into an YA + RA side and YA + MH. What we are seeing as a result are two evenly stacked players after the first spawn both with easy access to RL. Beyond that point the player who wins control will run YA + RA with the down player possibly taking a single YA. Then the in control player with the frag lead will return to RA ensuring they do not give it away granting the down player an opportunity to secure the MH at this time if they where able to avoid fighting after respawning. If the map is design in this way intentionally to make it easy to control and hard to recover from the down position then it is a success especially considering how much more punishing some maps are. However I would still speculate that the weapon placements could be significantly improved. Decisions like having an RL in RA room or a BR close to RA and on the highest level of the map are typically avoided for obvious reasons.

I apologise for my hasty analysis, I am not dismissing the map I simply wan't to understand so that we can continue to improve Reflex's map pool collectively. I still think this map is amongst the top 5 most balanced original Reflex maps and I would like to thank promEUs for this excellent contribution.

I disagree that the map is easy to control and hard to recover from. The geometry makes it easy to set traps and catch people out when they are going for items or moving around. If you dont have the stack to contest for an item you can almost always make up for it by setting a trap for the player who is going to pick it up.

The yellows are in great positions to deal damage from which helps also. I've only had about 15 duels on it and I'm not a top player but thats what I've experienced so far. 

F14m3z likes this

Though I haven't played it enough to have a thought out opinion on the gameplay yet, to me it feels like a real original map, in the sense that I can't really recognize any obvious elements taken from other maps. That's definitely a plus.

3 hours ago, Warlord Wossman said:

I was going to say something like that.

The fact that he could have won the game if he didn't give away that one frag where he was just going back to the "terrible" wall and stood there doing nothing is funny.
 If you watch the video you can see that he just made some bad plays (and ofc that happens to everyone) but you can't just label everything as the maps fault. The map is not perfect and I think every map might have some weak points tbh but just saying it is trash after one game is basicly just the result of him being salty in that one situation.

And speaking as a mapper myself I don't think that you can point out tons of issues and say the map has broken item placement, broken spawns and basicly broken everything after only playing one game. In general I would say that you should try to not act like you know the duel meta perfectly because your "analysis" at the end is questionable at all ends. There is a lot going on in Reflex and you can't just base your entire feedback on some situations.

This is not meant to be offensive btw.

Your right I can see how the major items work after further examination, as I said it was just an initial reaction and not something I spent allot of time studying. The walls that you can get stuck on in several places make it feel unpolished to me. What I was told visually by the rock effects was that there is a wall here so logically I assumed it could be wall strafed. That was not the case.

Obviously I did not communicate my experience very clearly as I never said it was trash. I was only playing for testing purposes and was in no way invested in the result of the match, my disappointment was due to discrepancy between the visual effects and the actual worldspawn along side the unorthodox weapon placement.

Pasting my youtube comment to that vid:

i like vids like that. interesting stuff.

The mega yellow seems like a very strong position for the out of control player. Like, a mega defense by spamming/blocking the two entry points looks easy, the opponent doesn't really have a way to get into the room unharmed.

I kinda agree about the weapon placement. The only major weapon an out of control player is able to get is the shaft, assuming the opponent knows what he's doing. The in-control player (who should be standing on the 5hp bubbles in the bolt corridor pretty much constantly) has a decent angle on both RLs, can deny the bolt completely and has a chance to at least hit a bolt himself on one of the yellows (and a good rocket bounce+shaft or whatever will basically grant him a frag since the yellow location is such a little crevice). Meanwhile three lesser weapons (nades, plasma, SG) are in relatively easy (read: safe) to access positions for the out-of-control player But there aren't any locations where these very situational weapons can be used to their full potential. Perhaps switch out plasma & bolt location or plasma & yellow?

As for the red, I don't think it is actually that bad a position (as in, it's not at all vulnerable). Say the in control player (previously sitting at the hp bubbles, as just described) jumps down to it. How exactly is the out of control player supposed to do damage on that item pickup? The corridor coming from SG is not a viable way to do it (really akward to do dmg from there, basically impossible to not eat a rocket if the in-control player is spamming, as he should), and the tele at sg is just too slow and too risky I feel (plus you can't actually hit the red area without jumping over to RL). Regarding the in-control-player getting back up to the bubbles, the ceiling-jump isn't exactly hard to do.

Perhaps the tele at SG could be replaced by a 2-way tele to upper RL, so the out-of-control player can quickly drop in, spam the red stand with a rocket, and leave again. This would also make it easier for him to actually get an RL (drop-in, take it, drop-out), and the in-control player does not really have a reason to use the tele down to SG himself.

F14m3z likes this