Callahan

Will Stair Jumps/ Tele Jumps Get Easier?

40 posts in this topic

I'm having such a hard time getting double stair jumps down and especially teleporter jumps. I've done both numerous times, but it seems like you have to flick your mouse in a certain way you normally never would unless you're doing either of these jumps. I can circle jump alright and have no problem bunny hopping, but man those 2 types of jumps are a killer. I read somewhere that you want to chain double jumps roughly within 4 milliseconds of each other, but teleporter and stair jumps seem like you need to jump even faster than this which would require a much faster mouse flick. Perhaps this was CPMA timing. Does anyone else share my trouble?

I'm having such a hard time getting double stair jumps down and especially teleporter jumps. I've done both numerous times, but it seems like you have to flick your mouse in a certain way you normally never would unless you're doing either of these jumps. I can circle jump alright and have no problem bunny hopping, but man those 2 types of jumps are a killer. I read somewhere that you want to chain double jumps roughly within 4 milliseconds of each other, but teleporter and stair jumps seem like you need to jump even faster than this which would require a much faster mouse flick. Perhaps this was CPMA timing. Does anyone else share my trouble?

I hope you mean 400ms .. :P.

Don't have a problem with tele jumps at all, i think they are quite easy. Stair jumps...well..that's something i gotta train :D

as I am playing quake 3 since 1999 and always was used to vql movement, changing to cpm movement is kinda a really hard task, as you have to 'forget' things like wallclipping etc and get rid of it. additionally, due to playing vql I am used to a much lower sens than what would be good for cpm-movement. so if I choose something between good for aim AND movement, both sucks compared to what I am used to. but challenges are good I think :)

and yes, got hard time with stairjumps aswell. but what I like about reflex movement so far, you have fun even you don't master it.. and allways learn something new, thats how it should be, not the quake live way: hold jump-button and let it strafe jump for you...

it's all practice, and there will be tutorials in later. They won't get easier, they feel easier than in CPMA as is anyway. Just keep practicing :)

it's all practice, and there will be tutorials in later. They won't get easier, they feel easier than in CPMA as is anyway. Just keep practicing :)

I actually recall Newborn or someone mentioning that both tele+circle and ramp(stair?) jumps are "borked". Whether they mean the time window or something else, I think he also mentioned they would get easier.

I was finding full power tele+circle jumps incredibly difficult but now I can fairly reliably perform them. I still can't seem to do a full power stair jump even 1 out of 10 times, but I can get a good amount of distance/height on them.

I was able to do stairjumps and telejumps much more easily than in CPMA as soon as I started Reflex. I guess YMMV on that one.

I actually recall Newborn or someone mentioning that both tele+circle and ramp(stair?) jumps are "borked". Whether they mean the time window or something else, I think he also mentioned they would get easier.

I was finding full power tele+circle jumps incredibly difficult but now I can fairly reliably perform them. I still can't seem to do a full power stair jump even 1 out of 10 times, but I can get a good amount of distance/height on them.

only rampjumps are borked. Tele and circle jumps work as intended. If you can circle jump, tele/stairjumps are simply applying that a bit faster out of the teleporter, or twice in a row on stairs. the window for all doublejump-based movement tech is 400ms which is in reality quite a while. Try watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTx_rpSX2rs

beginning is quite basic but it's worth watching, especially later

Funeral likes this

I was able to do stairjumps and telejumps much more easily than in CPMA as soon as I started Reflex. I guess YMMV on that one.

I don't know about CPMA because I've only really tried it at a LAN cafe once, but the aerowalk tele jump above grenade launcher feels very different than the same jump in QL.

I don't know about CPMA because I've only really tried it at a LAN cafe once, but the aerowalk tele jump above grenade launcher feels very different than the same jump in QL.

This is because you have air control in CPM, so you don't even need to doublejump to land at upper RL if you want to, just hold right and turn. Not sure about the poorly scaled cpm22rmx one, I know that a properly scaled one is being produced by hand atm.

cpm can be done with low sens, indeed some of the best trickers use extremely low sens that requires deskpads. I highly highly recommend that video nothing else goes to that length in trying to explain every little nuance and also show how it can be so much fun

as I am playing quake 3 since 1999 and always was used to vql movement, changing to cpm movement is kinda a really hard task, as you have to 'forget' things like wallclipping etc and get rid of it. additionally, due to playing vql I am used to a much lower sens than what would be good for cpm-movement. so if I choose something between good for aim AND movement, both sucks compared to what I am used to. but challenges are good I think :)

and yes, got hard time with stairjumps aswell. but what I like about reflex movement so far, you have fun even you don't master it.. and allways learn something new, thats how it should be, not the quake live way: hold jump-button and let it strafe jump for you...

sens is entirely subjective though, really just find your sweet spot, required technique does not change no matter the setting

This is because you have air control in CPM, so you don't even need to doublejump to land at upper RL if you want to, just hold right and turn. Not sure about the poorly scaled cpm22rmx one, I know that a properly scaled one is being produced by hand atm.

Oh, I know that. It's just really weird how the double jump doesn't seem to work there at all for me.

Anyway, since we're on the topic of jumps, what kind of jump would this be? I was messing around on the move map and I happened to try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXCxU2gxpok&feature=youtu.be

Oh, I know that. It's just really weird how the double jump doesn't seem to work there at all for me.

Anyway, since we're on the topic of jumps, what kind of jump would this be? I was messing around on the move map and I happened to try this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXCxU2gxpok&feature=youtu.be

That's a ramp jump. The ramp you hit is on the side of the stairs. It's much more powerful than regular stair jump.

iridescentFUZZ likes this

only rampjumps are borked. Tele and circle jumps work as intended. If you can circle jump, tele/stairjumps are simply applying that a bit faster out of the teleporter, or twice in a row on stairs. the window for all doublejump-based movement tech is 400ms which is in reality quite a while. Try watching this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTx_rpSX2rs

beginning is quite basic but it's worth watching, especially later

I've watched the appropriate categories which is why I was able to do a few in the first place. Got some very informative tips. I still have a very hard time getting them down though. I'm hesitant to increase my sensitivity just to try this stuff. I think i might record a few attempts and post here so you guys can tell me what i'm messing up on

I think one of the main reasons I find it so difficult is that I haven't developed the muscle memory for this stuff yet. I played a lot of tf2 soldier and even then the flick wasn't as intense as it is when trying to do stairjumps/tele jumps. Even in reflex, flick rockets or flick rails aren't as hard a flick as these kinds of jumps. feels like a really awkward angle...

relearning is always a hard process at first. flick rails in reflex/cpm can be an insanely huge flick or a tiny one, just getting comfortable with the kinds of mouse moves you will be making will do wonders for you.

I think one of the main reasons I find it so difficult is that I haven't developed the muscle memory for this stuff yet. I played a lot of tf2 soldier and even then the flick wasn't as intense as it is when trying to do stairjumps/tele jumps. Even in reflex, flick rockets or flick rails aren't as hard a flick as these kinds of jumps. feels like a really awkward angle...

You're right. I think you're expecting too much too soon. CPM movement isn't something you master in a week. Not even a month. Then there's being able to pull off those stair and telejumps alone and then actually being able to execute them consistently in real games.

But yeah muscle memory is the key. I remember not playing CPMA for 4 years and then hopping back in and instantly being able to do all the jumps and stuff just like before. So once you got it, you got it for good.

That's a ramp jump. The ramp you hit is on the side of the stairs. It's much more powerful than regular stair jump.

Ah, thanks.

Speaking of the 90 degree turns required for a lot of jumps, I find it really easy to flick rockets/rails to 90 degrees or even more, but timing a 90 degree turn with strafe and jump is so much harder to get right.

I like newborns words and rockets experiences, i think they should be pretty simple to do the bare minimum jumps required with some practice, but just as hard as ever to do the more complex and worth movement that gains you the competitive edge, difference between double and triple jump on used and abused as an example.

Probably been mentioned already, but the trick is to make the first jump as late as possible which gives you more time for your cj.

Probably been mentioned already, but the trick is to make the first jump as late as possible which gives you more time for your cj.

yes, this is true (for telejumps ofc)

Hm, so for telejumps, the 400ms window is not after you exit the teleporter, but between jumps just like everything else?