Callahan

Will Stair Jumps/ Tele Jumps Get Easier?

40 posts in this topic

Hm, so for telejumps, the 400ms window is not after you exit the teleporter, but between jumps just like everything else?

there is a 400ms window to be able to double jump when coming into contact with any applicable surface and jumping. since teleporters count as one of these "surfaces", if you jump into it, that window will be available.

ich have no problem at all with stairjumps, maybe theres is still way to optimise consistency, or maybe some people have built stairs in a non optimal fashion.

on cpm3 i can do stairs2mh more than 90% of the time, cpm22rmx stairs2ra seems a bit harder than in cpm(thats where my suspicion about non optimal stairs comes from).

i wouldnt like for the devs to make the movement easier.

as for teleporter jumps, i have the feeling different mappers align the teleporter effect differently in relation to the actual teleporter. the result being, that jumps into the teleporter are different for the player, depending on which teleporter you are jumping into.

when first person spec comes out it will only take about 30 minutes to train a friend how to stairjump. game will have slowmo videos and tutorial maps. no sense removing it

Spannzer likes this

Circle+double out of teleporters is borked at the moment. It's to do with the way our knockback system holds you in a certain direction (which is similar to Quake 3, but crappier). These jumps will get fixed when the knockback system does but that might not be for a while so I'll see if I can tweak values in our existing system to fix them a little. For now, leaving your second jump as late as possible or very briefly letting go of forward when you exit the teleporter can help.

Stair jumps might be harder or might be easier, I personally can't really tell after spending so much time in Reflex (and so little time in CPMA) lately. We obviously have to avoid Quake 3 / CPMA code when developing Reflex so even getting the movement feeling that close without all the magic numbers is an achievement ;)

The biggest problem remains the lack of tutorials which I'm hoping we can make a high priority once we've got all these input issues and lack of linux servers etc worked out.

You're right. I think you're expecting too much too soon. CPM movement isn't something you master in a week. Not even a month. Then there's being able to pull off those stair and telejumps alone and then actually being able to execute them consistently in real games.

But yeah muscle memory is the key. I remember not playing CPMA for 4 years and then hopping back in and instantly being able to do all the jumps and stuff just like before. So once you got it, you got it for good.

Right, same with dm skill. I've been playing fps games since I was a wee lad and tend to pick up mechanics pretty fast. Learning how to rocket jump in tf2 went by pretty quick for me. Then again it's rare to encounter new mechanics than what already exists in most fps games. Just something I'm not used to yet. I will simply continue to practice until I understand what i need to do. 

Circle+double out of teleporters is borked at the moment. It's to do with the way our knockback system holds you in a certain direction (which is similar to Quake 3, but crappier). These jumps will get fixed when the knockback system does but that might not be for a while so I'll see if I can tweak values in our existing system to fix them a little. For now, leaving your second jump as late as possible or very briefly letting go of forward when you exit the teleporter can help.

Stair jumps might be harder or might be easier, I personally can't really tell after spending so much time in Reflex (and so little time in CPMA) lately. We obviously have to avoid Quake 3 / CPMA code when developing Reflex so even getting the movement feeling that close without all the magic numbers is an achievement ;)

The biggest problem remains the lack of tutorials which I'm hoping we can make a high priority once we've got all these input issues and lack of linux servers etc worked out.

This is good to know. Some tutorials would be nice, though I'm highly impressed with your alpha state as is. You guys did a phenomenal job at the projectiles. I'm a rocket launcher fanatic and let me tell you, the way you made rockets in this game is like butter to any projectile enthusiast. I feel like the force is even perfect when you can pop someone in the air perfectly. Off topic but i had to say it. 

on cpm3 i can do stairs2mh more than 90% of the time, cpm22rmx stairs2ra seems a bit harder than in cpm(thats where my suspicion about non optimal stairs comes from).

i wouldnt like for the devs to make the movement easier.

If anything both of these jumps feels slightly easier to me. I can rarely do stairs to mega on 3a in CPMA, but in Reflex I will land it nearly everytime. Not saying this is a bad thing and everyone seems to have varied opinions after scanning through this thread. The jumps still require the correct inputs to achieve but maybe they could benefit from some tweaks I'm not aware of right now.

yea, tele jumps at the moment are fucked. there is a small time frame when you exit a teleporter that you lose air control ability. will probably be fixed in the next few builds

Well I've no idea what I've done on the map I started as the tele jump seems to work perfectly fine... or is everyone just comparing the original tricks on cpm3 etc?

I'm totally new to this movement (I'm coming from ShootMania) and after few minutes (ok maybe around an hour ;D) of training, I did manage all the jumps in Entik's video except for Tele+Circle jump. So I don't think it has to be easier to make these jumps, I really really really like how it is now, it feels natural to me. Also, I think it's better to bind the jump to mouse2 than spacebar, I know it can feels weird at the begining for guys coming from FPS like CS, CoD, BF, etc.. But trust me it feels way easier to do these jumps with double click on mouse2.

There is some sort of bug with stair jumping. When I was doing the stairs>mega on 3a a few times it acted like I hit my head after the second jump and I got pushed down somehow. I think it was more likely the closer to the corner I was. Also sometimes doing stair jumps to red on cpm22rmx seems to trigger the triple jump?

So I got my stair jumps down pretty well. I can do the first stair jump on the default map to red almost every time. With tele jumps it's the same exact movement as stair jumps and I can get a few more every time now. I realized it's more of a W movement than a strafe movement, even though strafe still plays a big part. It's mostly W+mouse turning at a certain speed, instead of a strafe+mouse. Basically less A/D, and more mouse+W, with A/D still being needed to achieve maximum distance, if that makes any sense :/