MuNgLo

Lightmap sampling resolution in 0.37.3

7 posts in this topic

So there used to be a way to change the lightprobe distance. Unless I missed it completely that is no longer the case. Instead it is always 64u. Resulting in massive lightbleeding through brushes thinner than that. Is there any solution to it in current version or is it incoming?

Reason I put the question under mapping is because it severely effects how you can use brushes.

tehace likes this

The command "used to be" (have not updated or tested the commands on the wiki in a while)...

just in case you want to try that out.

Strange about the bleeding... since that has always been with Reflex from the very start. Several versions ago it got better, i.e. around the time we got new meshes, but the bleeding was still there. I checked that in my AEdm7R back then. In my more recent AEpyraR2, I did not really notice it though.... hmmm...

Maybe you could post a few screenshots... selecting the brushes that cause the bleeding to let us see where and how this is happening. I recall overlapping brushes was an issue, but that cleanly aligning brushes edge to edges matching vertices still led to bleeding.

Edited by AEon

r_lm_probe_seperation doesn't exist anymore.

I made a simple top open box with 64u thick walls and floor. Aligned it with texture/probes and made a couple of examples.

Here i use glow material on the backside of the stair blocks. It should really just cast some light on the wall but since probes are so far apart the light bleeds over. The lightvalue is gradually changed between probes so can't build things like that unless you align it specifically on the probe net and make sure you bleed the light into somewhere you wont be seeing.

5fwWOKW.jpg

That is on the vertical plane. This shows the same effect on horizontal plane.

mOdiQqk.jpg

Note how the third from highest step isn't bleeding. It is because it has probes aligned with its bottom surface. Meaning that surface will have correct values.

Edited by MuNgLo
no coffe yet so.....
arkcoss and MAD_JIHAD like this

Hmm... would suggest placing geometry taking into account the 64u grid of the probes to avoid such issues... but that would be pretty far out and very annoying to do. I am not so sure that increasing the number of probes will actually fix the problem, e.g. to 32u or 16u... other than massively increasing the light compile times.

I'd guess that this will at some point be fixed by the devs...

MAD_JIHAD likes this

I assume it was the reason why you even could change the probe distance earlier. But then they changed the whole lighting bit if I'm not mistaken and it needs to do some catching up. It really is very limiting in what you can do.

Compile times isn't really something to consider. Compiling lightmaps on maps in other games can taker a loooong time. Especially if you are doing a final release quality build. 64u probe grid is fine for a quick lightmap fix but it really needs to go down to something like 8u for a good quality lightmap.

Yirktos likes this

yeah I was wondering the same thing, it seems the pros outweighted the cons in this case. Like most of the lm can now stay properly rendered after changes etc. although its a bit annoying to say at least that the separation is that high.

What I've learned from trying to deal with those is to watch out for the heights you're using. Like its better to put that ledge 8u higher and have it above the probe grid than having them overlapping or put it lower and have the probe be completemy covered in the middle, the worst case scenario is when they overlap.

The change is probably the most apparent on all floors/walls, I had them previously mostly 8-16u as it was enough to keep the outside light out and when they were properly connected (not overlapping) they were rendered just fine but now all of them bleed... the easiest solution was to just box the whole map in a thick box because as far as I understand it its that the floor will not bleed anymore even though it overlap with the probes but the probes themselves are tuned down because the thick box at the bottom blocks all the light, those grey probes doesnt bleed its the bright/white ones that does :)

if you look at the meshes they doesnt seem to be sharing those issues and since you're now covering the whole map with them the brush bleeding thing should be less of a problem. Although Im still not convinced the new way is 'better' :D

Yeah if you are going to use floor/ceilings that aren't 64u inside your map you do have to pay attention to their height placement in relation to the probe grid. I did however experience a massive bleed from a lamp on a 14+2u thick bridge. It was build with probes aligned with the bottom surface. But then I went and placed the light right on top of a probe location and... well it didn't like that. :P If that is something to look out for then it might get annoying if we are able to change the probedistance. Packing them closer could lead to more hits on lightsources.