Skytoon

[0.37.3] Freezes on servers

20 posts in this topic

I'll hop on a server, run around for a bit and 2 minutes later I freeze up for 30 seconds, then get disconnected from the server. I reinstalled the game and that didn't to the trick. This only started happening after my family got a new internet provider (this problem has only happened with Reflex).

I also get the "connection interrupted" thing.

Edited by Skytoon

Nothing happened to the ping or packet-loss, they both just froze (at 89 and 0). This happens on every server also

What happens if you host a map? Do you your self freeze up still? Do others connected(if they can) freeze up? Do both of you or only one?

Just throwing a thought out that could give some more info about what's wrong.

Take up a commandpromt and run a "ping -n 1000 google.com" as you connect to a server. As soon as you lag out, check if you lost that connection to. If it is timingout the pings to its the whole network. Then follow up with a "ipconfig /all" and check the information for the network interface you are using. If its IP pending or starting with 169(IIRC that is the first number in the IP windows assign automatically if can't get one from a DHCP server) then it is the first jump on the network messing you up. As in your router or your ISP's accespoint. It seems strange if the network really goes down though so that would be important to verify.

Skytoon likes this

Take up a commandpromt and run a "ping -n 1000 google.com" as you connect to a server. As soon as you lag out, check if you lost that connection to. If it is timingout the pings to its the whole network. 

​I tried doing this and nothing happened.  Reflex froze up and the command prompt kept going.

Then it sounds like it really is an issue with Reflex, not the network. Take a backup copy of your reflex folder and try deleting/reinstall/verify it. Making sure nothing but original files are used. I know you said you reinstalled it but I just want to make sure you didn't run any custom files at all. As in making sure you run the game on a clean install. Not just deleting local files/reinstall through the steam interface. (which would leave custom files like added lua scripts)

Another possibility would be that your network is having specific problems. Like crashing when UDP is used or specific port problems. What exactly is the setup? Your pc to router to internet or what? If your new ISP sucks balls it could be skrewing you over with a "PC>Router>ISP Area AccesPoint>Internet" setup. It isn't common but I have seen it. It is a way to save IP's while screwing over anyone that need to forward ports.

How do I do a complete re-install?  When I tried before, I uninstalled, reinstalled, and it still had all my maps and widgets.

open Steam library

right click reflex pick properties

under local files click browse local files

close steam

in the folder view move up one folder and rename the "reflexfps" folder to "reflexfpsBACKUP"

start steam

That should force steam to redownload all the files again. Effectively reinstalling it. All your old added files are still in the reflexfpsBACKUP folder if you need them. But do play a bit and see if the problem persists when you are on a clean install.

Edited by MuNgLo
Skytoon likes this

I just found out that if I host a lan server, anyone who joins doesn't freeze up, if that helps.

I just found out that if I host a lan server, anyone who joins doesn't freeze up, if that helps.

​What do you mean with hosting a lan server? Sv_public 0 or just others connecting over local network instead of internet?

​What do you mean with hosting a lan server? Sv_public 0 or just others connecting over local network instead of internet?

I didn't port forward and I had sv_public 0

Sorry just saw your discord message..

So still, it's definitely the server just dropping you. What framerate are you running at? It looks low in the video, although I'm not sure if that's just the recording.

To fix this I'm going to have to work out how to cause it :)

Edited by shooter

So still, it's definitely the server just dropping you. What framerate are you running at? It looks low in the video, although I'm not sure if that's just the recording.

​Normally I run in 1280 fullscreen at 60fps but in the video I played at 1920 windowed and recorded in low quality.

Update: The 'time-until-freeze' has been becoming more and more inconsistent.  The times range from 30 seconds - 15 minutes.  They're becoming so far apart that the bug might even be gone, I can't tell.