Charnock

Idea for Extreme Low-End Computers

7 posts in this topic

I had an idea for an extremely low graphic setting for very low-end computers like the one I'm stuck on right now.  I was testing out my FPS, and on maps with little or no meshes and effects, such as cpm22, the old thct2, thct7, and xy2, and I got around 125 fps.  As expected, when I went to maps with more detail, my fps dips considerably, sometimes below 60 on maps like dp5.  I then deleted all of the meshes and effects in dp5, made the fullclip brushes use a stone material instead, and got my 125 fps back.

So I had the idea of a graphic setting which would remove all meshes and effects from a map, leaving only the brushes.  One major issue with this would be that many brushes are just clipping planes and walls would become invisible once the outlining meshes are removed.  A way to fix this would be to set the material of clip brushes to a something else (as I did), but that could then lead to z-fighting issues where clipping planes overlap existing brushes.

As I said, this is just an idea.  I do not know if it's possible to disable meshes altogether or adjust the material of brushes without altering the map file.  If possible, it would be a nice option for those unable to get a consistent 125fps.  It would also allow for an entirely clutter-free setting for top-level competitive play.

1 hour ago, Charnock said:

I had an idea for an extremely low graphic setting for very low-end computers like the one I'm stuck on right now.  I was testing out my FPS, and on maps with little or no meshes and effects, such as cpm22, the old thct2, thct7, and xy2, and I got around 125 fps.  As expected, when I went to maps with more detail, my fps dips considerably, sometimes below 60 on maps like dp5.  I then deleted all of the meshes and effects in dp5, made the fullclip brushes use a stone material instead, and got my 125 fps back.

So I had the idea of a graphic setting which would remove all meshes and effects from a map, leaving only the brushes.  One major issue with this would be that many brushes are just clipping planes and walls would become invisible once the outlining meshes are removed.  A way to fix this would be to set the material of clip brushes to a something else (as I did), but that could then lead to z-fighting issues where clipping planes overlap existing brushes.

As I said, this is just an idea.  I do not know if it's possible to disable meshes altogether or adjust the material of brushes without altering the map file.  If possible, it would be a nice option for those unable to get a consistent 125fps.  It would also allow for an entirely clutter-free setting for top-level competitive play.

That would be quite interesting for most maps, but I'm sure there would be certain areas where this would not work and where problematic errors would occur. It would also cause many other players to turn on that settings just so that they could perform better since they can see every edge of a collision mask. When workshop gets integrated, perhaps people would start creating low-poly versions of certain maps (I think I might start making those), which still have style, but are also low-poly and less laggy :D

AliceMadness likes this

What hardware are you running? At some point game devs and mappers have to stop supporting ancient hardware.

As far as clutter free maps go, thats up to the mapper and as far as competitive games go its much better to have every one running on similar settings visually so everyone sees the same dark hidey spot etc. If we get a setting to remove meshes and detail we might as well go play cpm with r_picmip 420 which looks like actual poop.

Ive probably said this in another thread but meshes are waaay less of a performance impact than brushes are.

A. Benz, Duck and Grybzt like this

We got a similar discussion over here http://www.reflexfps.net/forums/index.php?/topic/3292-no-textures-option/#comment-25793

not the best title but I think ramagan expresses something like this over here.

Imho a lod selection for meshes would be the best solution, like you can select (user option) different lod meshes. There is an option for geometry detail which sadly for me doesn't do anything.

MAD_JIHAD mentioned that they are adding more lod assets. Maybe someone can point me out on some map where it is already working?

The only problem I see in this approach is that by definition different lod meshes do hide different portions of stuff behind them in most cases. Don't know if that is a real issue though.

Edited by /fragile

7 hours ago, MAD_JIHAD said:

What hardware are you running? At some point game devs and mappers have to stop supporting ancient hardware.

I'm running on a laptop with an Intel i5 3210M, 6 GB of RAM, and a Intel HD 4000 integrated graphics.

I understand that it is pointless to try to cater to every hardware spec from the last 10 years, but I just wanted to get my thought out there.

7 hours ago, MAD_JIHAD said:

Ive probably said this in another thread but meshes are waaay less of a performance impact than brushes are.

While I agree that a brush which contains near the same detail as a mesh would be far less efficient, meshes do have a significant performance impact.  I placed about 5 of the large rock spire meshes on cpm22, and my fps went from 125 to about 80.

I really hope there won't be any more of these tweak settings. I absolutely love the fact that people have to play the game under almost the same visibility-conditions. Making low poly versions for each map would be a better solution compared to forcing everybody into a tweaking fest.