Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Terifire

Calendar - terit4

23 posts in this topic

After a week and a lot of manhours mapping and testing, dp9 terit4 is ready to be released.

Thanks do def for his help making the map what it is, and thanks to fht for making it look all pretty!
Thanks to everyone whom I've tested the map with.

Itemlayout is subject to change, if you find any problems or bugs let me know.

Download the map from Reflexfiles

UKtAUwC.jpg

Jaguar, def, Yasashii and 7 others like this

1 minute ago, Inhibitor said:

Yis my friend. FOR COMMUNISM!

The maps of the people will overthrow the maps of the bourgeois

Revolucion!

Jaguar and Inhibitor like this

map turned out pretty good.

has good flow, nice trickjumps and the theme is awesome <3

lets see what it is balancewise after some feedback :D

really gj teri+fht!

Terifire and fht like this

There seem to be a few spots where people are having fps lag, mostly at the 50h when looking towards the health bubbles/2x25h.

If anyone is experiencing these fps drops, place turn on the profiler (r_profiler 2) and make a screenshot.

I really like the idea of colouring individual tiles on your floors green... gives the floors an interesting, calming look. The overall style of the map also looks very nice... tasteful designs ^_^

One of the hitches for me is that I feel like the area around the lower yellow is kind of claustrophobic. Overall the map looks great.. Any chance the horizontal teleporter is inspired by akumacpm1a? 

30 minutes ago, Bjarke said:

One of the hitches for me is that I feel like the area around the lower yellow is kind of claustrophobic. Overall the map looks great.. Any chance the horizontal teleporter is inspired by akumacpm1a? 

The horizontal teleporter was an idea by def, I did not even realise that until you mentioned it! Quite a coincidence, with the mega being at those teles on both maps. Perhaps def was inspired by akumacpm1a, I'd have to ask :D

The map has been updated;

• Cleaned up a lot of meshes (with tears in my eyes), fps should be a lot higher/more stable now.
  • Added a mega funnel, impossible to miss now.
  • Added ammo boxes
  • The darker areas are a lot lighter now
lolograde likes this

Just wondering why the funnel? I kinda liked that you could derp the pickup and get penalized for it. :)

15 minutes ago, Gangland said:

Just wondering why the funnel? I kinda liked that you could derp the pickup and get penalized for it. :)

Many people hated it, the same with all the pretty stuff.

So what is th general concensus on this map now? The players from the Aus Calendar cup told me the health is abundant and too easy to get, so I will look into it. Opinions on the megahealth are still 50/50.

Looking for feedback so I can update the map.

before and during the cup I saw a bunch of people really struggling with that jump on the 3 pillars outside ra room that takes you to ic. I think you should either make that a little easier to do consistently or make how it's supposed to be approached clearer with some visual queues so people don't constantly do it wrong. There's also the problem of being able to hide above RA (how the tournament was won) and being able to hide on top of the really tall pillars with pg.

Other than that, I personally feel like it's just a little bit too big and plays a bit slow but I'm guessing that's intentional and probably a good thing considering how many tiny, fast maps reflex has already.

Owl likes this

Map has been updated!

Changes:

• Mega drop removed, it's still a pit but has stairs
  • Calendar room teleporter now leads to top instead of essentially having a 2way teleporter
  • Bot support!
doombro, Greed, lolograde and 1 other like this

Posted (edited)

I've always really liked this map, I just felt that it needed a few tweaks to be a great competitive map. One of those problems was the 2-way tele being abusable for spawn kills, which you've fixed in the latest version. Also as others have already said, the 3 pillars below IC just don't work very well. It's impractical to ever use that jump mid-fight and is slow and clunky to use in general. Being able to hide above RA is also pretty annoying but I'm not sure how to approach fixing that. I'm not entirely sure I like the tele below IC going to the other side of the map, it really limits the options of the out-of-control player to play smart or defensively on that side of the map.

I'll try to do some playtesting soon and see what other feedback I can give, but I'd love to see this map make it into the competitive pool after some tweaking. Reflex is currently chock full of super tiny fast-paced shitfest maps, which is honestly pretty boring. I like that Calendar is bigger and plays a bit slower. It allows for some interesting strategies and mindgames other than the constant +f aggression which plagues this game.

Edited by Necrophag1st
Terifire likes this

3 hours ago, Necrophag1st said:

Ah yes, I meant to change the pillar jump actually, I made a CPM version that has a different jump (though it still somewhat slows you down, which is  intentional).

If I can be arsed I'll change it in Reflex as well, building lightmaps is such a pita on my aging machine.

Nice updates, glad to see this map getting more love. I've always really enjoyed it. Some feedback:

-at the new lower tele that takes you to the upper RL, when you try to tele jump out of it you hit your head on the ceiling and feels really awkward. Consider raising the ceiling here.

-I agree with Necro, I'd be glad to see a rework of the 3 pillar jump up to the IC.

-The water sound effect at mega may be overkill now that the room is such a trap? I haven't fully play tested this so maybe it does work better with sound cues. 

-The mega stairs feel a little cramped. I can't say what the best fix for this would be, but you could try a combination of 1) widening the floor area around the bolt 2) simply raising the ceiling around the top of the stairs, below PL. Not really a huge deal though.

-Experimental suggestion: swap bolt and PL spawn. Because the lower tele takes you to the upper RL, the stair/platform and the stair jump at PL is de-emphasized. Forcing players to move there for bolt, and giving better access to PL to spam the lower YA corridor might be fun.

Just my initial thoughts. I'll try to revisit this after I test a few games. Cheers.

Terifire and reverb like this

Updated once again;

• Removed 3 pillars, current situation is ugly but I'd like to know if you guys think it's better this way
  • Some brush/mesh fixes at megahealth

I realize the head bumping thing at tele is annoying, but I'm not sure if I want to fix it yet, that tele exit is supposed to be spammable with RL and not an easy escape.