Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Qualx

Replay Stats Parsing - Now Available!

7 posts in this topic

I've been developing a replay parser capable of generating assorted stats, including per-weapon accuracy and damage data (some of which is displayed on my site, at https://reflex.kiai.eu/replays/ ). I've agreed with the devs that I won't release the parser itself under any circumstances, because it uses bits and pieces of Reflex's code. However, I want to make it available for people to use, so I've also developed a simple client for it, allowing submission of replays to my server, which will provide a JSON object in response. My client currently supports i386 on both Win32 and POSIX (so basically Windows and 32-bit Mac/Linux). It's only working for Windows at the moment because I've not written the inotify code for Linux. That's coming soon™. If you have a very specific reason why you need amd64 support, that can be arranged quite easily.

In order to run this parsing service, I'll need to get an additional server to guarantee that uploads won't completely choke out my current server, otherwise I'd have to hugely throttle uploads. This isn't a big deal, servers are cheap (I'm expecting to pay $6/month, although that might scale up if this is ridiculously popular and I need more storage and/or bandwidth). However, I'm permanently broke and would prefer not to pay out of my own pocket if possible, but I feel bad about asking for donations for nothing, so I'm planning on offering a paid automatic FTP retrieval service for people who have servers hosted with gameserver hosting companies, and thus are unable to run the parser client. This'll be completely non-profit; if I get enough funds from donations and people using that to cover my minimal server costs I'll put the rest of the money towards an upcoming competition prize pool.

Also, addressing the point that stats will be available in Reflex 0.40, this service is intended to cover all your accuracy-whoring needs until then. It won't necessarily need to die at that point, though, because I'm planning on generating a lot more in-depth stats than just what'll be offered by the game, including per-map heatmaps for kills and deaths, and maybe even fine-grained shot accuracy maps (i.e. where your shots landed on the hitbox). It'll also provide a centralised place where stats can be gathered and harvested.

If you want to set something up regarding FTP, please let me know!

Update

The client is now available at https://reflex-stats.kiai.eu/client/ and available for anyone to download and use for free. It uses a command line interface, and prints its usage information if run without arguments. Also, if you drag a replay onto it, it'll generate a JSON file in the same directory as the replay.

Your browser may give you a warning about it because it's an infrequently downloaded executable. Don't worry about that (unless you don't trust me, in which case I guess you should worry). Don't download it from any other site, and don't download it if the SSL certificate fails verification. Standard stuff.

You can display stats information (in the same way as my site does) by dragging a JSON file onto the page at https://reflex.kiai.eu/replays/stats.php. If anything weird happens, it's probably because I've changed something in the JSON format, so just reparse the replay. I won't do this often.

I'll add the ability to view stats online (without needing to provide the JSON file) soon.

Parser is updated for 0.40. You don't need to update the client, but I've improved a couple of minor things.

Money stuff:

• If it goes up at all, I'll guarantee that the master server will stay up until either Reflex has stats generation built in, or the end of July 2016 (covering my back in case development halts/slows down hugely), regardless of whether I'm getting enough money from the community. Beyond that point, I'll guarantee it'll stay up at least as long as I'm not losing money on it. This is independent of whether I continue playing the game or being involved with the community (i.e. I'm not going to do a PHGP).
  • This is NON-PROFIT; while I'll (of course) accept donations to the Qualx Doesn't Have To Eat His Own Leg Fund, money that people pay for FTP retrieval will either pay for server costs or be reinvested back into the community in the form of competition prize money.
  • FTP retrieval will probably cost something in the ballpark of 50 cents per server per month. In addition to paying for my server, this prevents me disclaiming liability if, for instance, your server's mysteriously hijacked by a masked villain calling himself Xlauq. FTP login details will be stored securely (yes, that means salted and encrypted; this is 2016, even if many companies appear not to have noticed yet).
  • Uploading replays (using my client) from whitelisted IP addresses will be free. I'll whitelist an IP address if you host a public Reflex server on it.
  • Uploading replays from other places may or may not be free, based on whether I need to extract more money to cover the server or not! If this ends up not being free, I'll offset the cost against any money or items you've ever donated to competition prize pools. It'll probably be free, though, because this sounds like an administrative nightmare.

Gameserver hosting people: you're welcome to use this utility but its availability must be free and unrestricted to all of your customers.

Awesome. This part sounds especially exciting to me:

1 hour ago, Qualx said:

per-map heatmaps for kills and deaths

I played around with a similar idea very briefly, but quickly realised I was too much of a dunce to do it justice. As well as just being plain cool, I think it would be really useful as a learning tool, especially if it covered damage given/received as well as kills/deaths.

MAD_JIHAD likes this

--target-dir was broken because I don't understand the difference between < and >. It's now fixed. You don't need to update if you're not using --target-dir.

Client update again with another fix to --target-dir (guess which bit I didn't test before releasing). Linux version now available.