newborn

Reflex 0.41.0 - Boxes of bullets

25 posts in this topic

AkFuMyI.png

Ammo system

• Added ammo box pickups
    • Boxes generally give half the ammo of a weapon pickup
    • These can be placed by mappers the same as every other kind of pickup.
  • Changed behavior of dropped weapons
    • Players now recieve ammo for the dropped gun
    • Players also recieve 50% of the enemies ammo for all other weapon types

Changes + Improvements

• Improved the performance of SMAA 1x (by about 90%)
  • Improved visuals and performance of HBAO+  (by about 5-10%)
  • Changed how pre-load hashes are calculated, which should fix some issues with some Workshop maps not correctly preloading.
  • Changed version of included MSVCP120.dll
  • Updated the look of the weapon list to make ammo count more obvious.

Updated maps

• Fool's Choice
  • Use and Abuse
  • Fusion
  • Ashur
  • Monolith
  • Ruin
  • Static Discharge
  • The Catalyst

Server stuff

• Removed sv_steamport
    • Steam queries now use the same port as the game (sv_gameport).
    • This should fix issues (that were totally not our fault for once) with connecting via steam:// links

I actually like holograms.

So, any noticeable influences on the gameplay? I only played a couple of duels on thct7, and I'm not good too, so the changes didn't affect my games very much. What about you?

RAW likes this

On 05/04/2016 at 9:27 AM, newborn said:

Ammo system

• Added ammo box pickups

Whee... ammo as deco in the maps... yes... I see it as the first stepping stone for better bot navigation in maps... :P

Played this again after a little while off, and it's looking amazing! The improved UI and steam integration is looking fantastic! In many user experience aspects I think it's really starting to overtake QL (quake live). The polish on the basic game is incredible now, and it's so, so close!

Since recently the mouse accel was added (i use on rocket with higher fov) and the decoupling of input and FPS i.e. less input lag on enemy encounter, I can actually start to think about playing this game seriously. I can make it feel more and more like my QL setup. I have always loved reflex but some of these basic things made it impossible for me to play it properly for long periods. 

After playing around for some hours at the weekend, for me these things stand out:

Edit: + * Apparently variable input lag, I have a fast PC with all setting on lowest

* Positional audio still really, really weak. Very hard to know where enemy is. At the higher skill levels this becomes a really key part of the game and is probably the thing that makes reflex seem weakest overall. It often feels like guess work to know where enemy is and detracts a lot from the buzz of positional/awareness play you get in QL. Tbh people say the positional audio in QL is bad, apparently that doesn't even use 3d audio. Reflex should be improving on it if anything!

* Lack of zoom feature, and zoom sensitivity. I know not many will agree on this. But..  I am currently using a script by a chap on these forums, which overloads the scoreboards to achieve press to zoom functionality but it's too laggy to use really effectively on rail peek shots (edit: I'm starting to think it's just my PC, input lag creeps in especially non smooth mouse movement?). It's still massively better than not having zoom, and works well on LG. On QuakeLive I literally use zoom for everything, with different zoomFOVs on all weps. Actually on that note having a menu widget for customizing per weapon settings would be great (probably already exists).

* Footsteps, silent walk, (edit: gun sounds! i.e. LG and Ion should be audible) crouching really add a lot to QL and are totally absent in reflex. Also in QL you can taunt, click sounds with the mousewheel and generally goof about and that allows you to develop a playing "persona" or style in the game, which makes it very addictive. Reflex seems a bit one dimensional without these things. Yes crazy I know.

* The rocket still feels weird, can't quite put my finger on it. I like the low splash dmg concept (==higher skill), it's not that. I think you have nailed the LG, (ion gun), sounds amazing now (WELL DONE!!!), and the sound of the railgun needs to be a lot "meatier". Would prefer the plasma balls were bigger too and possibly slighly slower projectile speed. Plasma should be the ultimate skill weapon with rewarding high DPS if used right (not many can) and it seems too easy to use right now. 

* Voice chat would be nice, again this was recently added to QL and adds a new dimension

* Basic ranking system, you can implement glicko, trueskill (or any bayesian ranking system). Even without the matchmaking, the stats give you loads. It makes the game way more addictive because games count for something (your rank), and people will play more because they feel they have some status in the game. All you need on top is some kind of skill based shuffle on the servers, and possibly an optional minimum and maximum skill setting. Again look at how this is working now on QuakeLive servers. Match making is a nice-to-have, to be honest I wouldn't bother without a large pool of players. 

I know it sounds a lot like I'm saying "if only it was more like QuakeLive", QL with or without CPM style movement is almost the epitome of FPS perfection (in my opinion, and the opinions of many, many others). That's why it's stood the test of time (16 years) and until Reflex has been pretty much unchallenged on colloquial use by pro gamers. Reflex might really achieve the impossible and surpass it, and I can totally see that happening! So close now

NicholasWalters likes this

1 hour ago, ecsplos1v said:

* Footsteps, silent walk, crouching really add a lot to QL and are totally absent in reflex. Also in QL you can taunt, click sounds with the mousewheel and generally goof about and that allows you to develop a playing "persona" or style in the game, which makes it very addictive. Reflex seems a bit one dimensional without these things. Yes crazy I know.

I am fine with crouching but please no footsteps, I think they don't belong into this game since you are handicapped enough when moving silently since you are at 320 ups while jumping around is obviously a lot faster. It may work in QL but Reflex is a lot faster in general and I think making sounds while strafing is enough imo.

BattleSnacks and banReflex like this

7 hours ago, ecsplos1v said:

Actually on that note having a menu widget for customizing per weapon settings would be great (probably already exists).

We have this. What kind of other stuff would people like to be adjustable?

BattleSnacks likes this

10 hours ago, banReflex said:

We have this. What kind of other stuff would people like to be adjustable?

That widget doesn't work for me and I would like to have a button to toggle between 2 mouse sensitivities. 

4 hours ago, furyaxsfigkjhn said:

That widget doesn't work for me and I would like to have a button to toggle between 2 mouse sensitivities. 

have you tried enabling the default crosshair widget and that widget at the same time?

18 hours ago, RAW said:

have you tried enabling the default crosshair widget and that widget at the same time?

It works now, thanks :)