Greed

Audio Department Support

26 posts in this topic

hi there,
reporting for duty. ;)
hereby, i'd officially offer my service for the game.
i work as an audio professional in a broadcast/cinema/media studio and own a studio for music/film or game scoring/sound design and so on.
reflex is a great project that deserves top notch quality imo and i'm happy to contribute with content or technical assistance concerning anything audio.

first things first:
there is no intention to steal anyones job like this, really. this is meant to be audio support from the community.
however, i can definitely deliver all sound content needed, especially since dark and techy stuff is my most passionate domain.
in the following, i'm about to adress and discuss sound issues and throw in some content and technical advice for your consideration.
feel free to hit me about audio editing, mixing, mastering, sound design, music, (psycho-)acoustics, etc... (and puredata to some extent)

best regards,
greed
/fragile, jukebox, RAW and 21 others like this

to start off, here are a few sfx that i remixed in order to solve issues or to get a feel for the sound engine.
just sharing some first aid made with a filthy scalpel, hope it helps for someone. cheers :)

Ion Cannon and Bolt Rifle firing:
- original BR felt too weak for me (there is also a 2nd version named *.bak that i use atm with some twirly decay)
- 3rd person firing sfx (mostly IC and BR) are pretty hard to locate in the stereo field, these sfx don't solve it but the guns feel better to me

Mega Health pickup and expire:
- the sound for the expiring MH buff kinda drowns within normal gameplay (using the pickup sfx for expire aswell works even better)

Character Pain 50 + 100 dmg:
- both sfx raised in level and presence by some distortion, eq, dynamics, etc

Installation: simply extract ZIPs into ".../reflexfps/base/internal/"
Credits: all sfx are remixed versions from the original game content
KangaJoo, Joe, TornadoStorm and 1 other like this

mega sound is nice at a distance. the extension of the sound and the loudness is much better and can be heard more clearly as a world sound

the pain sounds have sharper peaks that can be heard much more easily now. and its a cleaner sound

bolt rifles timing needs to be synced with the actual reload time. its either 2500ms or 3000ms
the sound itself has alot more body to it, but could use more bottom end.

ic start is the right direction
ic end sounded better as original, maybe try a unique sound instead?
ic sustain has a crispness and crackle to it and its also less annoying. but, it also lost the bottom end and the "power" feeling it had

now for a test... :D
take the rocket fire sounds and layer in a metal door flap sound at the right time. if you watch the model on the right side a door opens when you shoot the weapon
also layer in a thud/tubular sound as the rocket leaves the tube

cool stuff, hope we see more, ill use it

Greed likes this

@Runningman  thanks for you feedback and sophisticated input :)

On 16.5.2016 at 5:07 PM, Runningman said:

bolt rifles timing needs to be synced...

sry, didn't touch the timings of any sfx, yet

BR:  ...but could use more bottom end.       IC:   ...it also lost the bottom end and the "power" feeling it had

there were some peaks in the low end that i cleaned up here and there.

more sub is dialed in quickly, will do asap

take the rocket fire sounds and layer in a metal door flap sound...

now that's how to approach sound design, great ideas! ;)

@Voodoojuju

thx man, glad you like it!

On 16.5.2016 at 6:04 PM, Voodoojuju said:

why dont you try remixing the hitsounds and the killsound?

good point, wanna look over those aswell.

atm, i am making some entirely new sfx for character jumps and landings. a youtube clip is planned to show a few layouts in action.

in addition, i got some work in progress for a new exclusive theme song. a first layout composition is almost done, tba soon...

10 hours ago, Runningman said:

heres the best hitsounds ever made....

pk_hitsounds.zip
try these as well greed

man, that's some serious sound quality right there!!! :lol: can't wait to play them...

tbh, i thought about doing some hitsounds with "Double Dragon II" menu samples to have more of a dry wavelet indicating a hit as clear as possible.

q3 hitsounds work great in that favour, but since we're navigating super-hitech-combat-robots in reflex, a more "digital" sound might work.

yeah the quality is low but they're like 12 years old. still the most favored type of hit sounds tho.

ill swap hit sounds for the robot pain sounds and see what kindof impact it makes.... it should be interesting

On 17.5.2016 at 8:33 PM, Runningman said:

yeah the quality is low but they're like 12 years old

no offense, i was thinking of sampling gameboy sfx :lol:

however, i tried the pk hitsounds and they don't work for me in reflex. first, there is no indication how hard you hit the opponent and they are simply not loud enough to stick out.

here is a try remixing those:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mnlnjxipbw32sgm/pk_hitsounds_remix_2016-05-31.zip?dl=0

- changed medium and high damage pitch and decay

- pushed the loudness by some multistage limiting

still, i believe these sounds contain too much harmonic information to stick out, but maybe it works for you...

and here is an update for ion sustain and boltrifle fire with some more low end:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/waaj5dc7m5qwxcv/ion%2Bbolt_fire-remix_update_2016-05-31.zip?dl=0

hope you like it ;)

here is a demo-clip showcasing a few sfx layouts for the player movement in four short runs:

featured sfx are:

hostile_jump.wav (4 versions)

hostile_land.wav , hostile_land_var01.wav , hostile_land_var02.wav , hostile_land_hard.wav , hostile_land_harder.wav

all sounds are made from scratch exclusively for reflex using raw materials in different approaches.

please let me know what you think...

The v3 and v4 are interesting. The air sound in them lasts to long and one of them sounds like a stapler. Also one of them sounds like it has some at-at going on it in which is cool but to familiar.

Greed likes this

i happen to like all of them except they sound flat/dull for some reason. if you can get in there and bring them to life with the some EQ, i think they could all work.

as for your previous post with the IC/BOLT and pk hit sounds you delivered 100% from my suggestions and im using them until something better comes along. the pk hit sounds are fantastic now, the hit high is way more realistic to actual damage. and the kill sound is complete.

if i had to pick between all the sounds, i would pick a combination of v1 and v4 compressed together for a jump sound and tweaked to bring them to life as i stated above.

as for landing sounds, what i was hearing in v4 sounded good. its at the same pitch as the jump which seems like a good direction. a little variation couldnt hurt tho.

waiting update and download :)

Greed likes this

oh i forgot to mention the bolt rifle doesnt have the reload sound and needs to fit the actual reload time of 2500ms or 3000ms

been catching up on the forum and I just saw this... wow some of these sounds are GREAT!
keep up the great work, I'll definitely be using these :D

Greed likes this

thanks for all that feedback and positive resonance! :lol:
apparently, no one of those hostile jump layouts sticked out as a clear favorite so i decided make all of them available.

here is the hostile_jump and hostile_land layouts from the youtube clip above, plus 2 versions of V3 and V4 with shorter decay (air sound) like @MAD_JIHAD mentioned. in addition there is a rough blend of V1 and V4 (@mikeMARTIN.co) which is "active" when installing the sound pack:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/c1xq1nkuuj8f9br/greed_SFX-hostile_jump_layouts-2016-06-20.zip?dl=1
the active jump sound goes by the name "hostile_jump.wav" and the alternatives are indicated by their respective numbers.
compared to the youtube demo, the landing sounds were processed slightly to match the tonality  of the jumps. yet and still, all sfx are layouts.

credits and disclaimer:
this sound pack (greed_SFX) is exclusively created for Reflex and shall not be altered, published, copied, duplicated or used apart from the game without permission.
@shooter and the reflex developers: these sound effects are royalty free for your project and will be delivered free of charge in full quality upon request.
© greed 2016

Kawumm, klyph0rd and slobo^- like this

well, there is more to rinse out.
this is a shot of remixing the ingame hit sounds plus that noammo click:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/t2je6p2yi7rz7c9/weapon_hit%2Bnoammo-remix_2016-06-15.zip?dl=1
- just some polishing by using EQs and dynamics, increasing impact and presence
- that "no ammo" sound was simply too soft for my deaf ears

furthermore i had a second try remixing those 50 + 100 character pain sounds:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/bvfwi2vdwanbu22/character_pain_50%2B100-remix_2016-06-17.zip?dl=1
- didn't like the feel of my previous approach in the long run

credits: all remixed sfx are made from the original game content

klyph0rd and KangaJoo like this

didn't throw some noise for quite a while now, but there is some stuff to share. :)

here is an experimental approach of remixing the ingame hit sounds that i enjoy playing for some time now:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/17h6s3vlme530fh/greed_weapon_hit-remix_2016-08-13.zip?dl=0

- removed the "bell" character of the original hits and mixed in custom metal and debris sounds and special synth effects for the killsound

additionally, there is a rough remix of the ingame quad damage/carnage sfx which @dansen mentioned to be drowning in the mix while playing. hopefully that helps:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/r4j45f8elbp4rdw/greed_powerup_quad-remix_2016-08-13.zip?dl=0

- increased perceived loudness of pickup and expire, but reduced the level of the firing sfx to avoid overload (clipping/distortion)

credits: all remixed sfx are made from the original game content plus the hit sounds having custom materials mixed in. all sounds are exclusively modified or created for Reflex and shall not be altered, published, copied, duplicated or used apart from the game without permission.

MAD_JIHAD, banReflex and NeuerGolf like this

@Greed, I mentioned this in another thread already but I bet you're the person to ask: Would it make sense or even be feasible to have hitsounds scale dynamically based on damage value? For instance, for each additional 1dmg, the hitsound gets progressively deeper. 

I'm not sure about technical feasibility or even whether or not that'd be entirely desirable. It just seems to me that there are implications about the arbitrariness of the current hitsound range. The same hitsound whether you're dealing 1dmg or 20dmg seems to be a problem and I think it's leading people to bad impressions about weapon balances. Like, when you hear the "tink" of a Burst Gun hit, it sounds incredibly underwhelming and probably is giving people the sense that the gun is worthless.

Greed likes this

That's the approach TF2 takes and it actually works quite well. There are two client variables you can set to control the scaling of the sound. Not only do you only need one hitsound file, but over time you get a sense of how much damage each shot is to about the nearest 10 - 20 damage, so even if you don't see the damage number because you are spamming around a corner or whatever, you have a very good idea of how much damage you hit the enemy for.

Greed and Owl like this

@lolograde i think more detailed hit sounds are absolutely desirable! a 1 dmg "resolution" would be too dynamic, though.
atm, i believe we got this:

• low: 0-10 dmg
  • mid low: 11-40 dmg
  • mid high: 41-80 dmg
  • high: 81+ dmg

i suggest a stepping like 1-10, 11-20, 21-30, 31-40, 41-50, and so on…

the technical implementation could be done in different ways. basically a "sampler" (each sound triggered separately) works best, although in the current engine (0.45.2) i experience dropouts every now and then.

@klyph0rds approach could also do the job, although using a single sound file that is being scaled by DSP has limited coloration unless sophisticated filtering, distortion and saturation algorithms are included. inevitably any DSP increases CPU load.

if going for a plain signal, an encoded hitsound-synthesizer is independent of the desired level of detail and could be accessible from LUAs. all audio is being generated within the game engine, thus increasing CPU load just like DSP. the complexity and coloration is depending to the spectrum of the encoded synthesis. however, this is fairly easy to build in puredata.

no matter how @shooter and the devs : more detailed audio feedback on damage given (and taken) would be great !!!

12 hours ago, Greed said:

using a single sound file that is being scaled by DSP has limited coloration

Yeah one important thing for people to remember when using TF2 hitsounding as an analogy is that in TF2 the hitsound isn't designed to fit into the game's experience if that makes sense, it's purely informative. Reflex hitsounds are meant to be part of the in game goings-on; they are the actual sounds of the robot being damaged. Because the TF2 hitsounds aren't part of the going-ons in game, one could argue that they don't need to be as detailed and nice to listen to.

meowgli and Greed like this

After using the damage sounds for a while:

Bassiness is good, but right now these sounds are very "hollow" which isn't super satisfying and gets a little annoying sometimes
The kill sound is probably the best, but I think they could all use some changes to make them sound a little fuller (and possibly smaller for the low fast sound for shaft. I've always thought the dainty little metallic sound from Q4 was a good example of a nice shaft hitsound)

Greed likes this