palindrome

Modding and scripting support

9 posts in this topic

Hello, this is more or less a question/suggestion aimed toward the developers of Reflex. However I would also like to see the current communities opinion on this. I have been playing reflex on and off since I first heard about it and I feel it is a really interesting game. It is more than just a simple afps shooter or another quake clone. Along with it, it comes with an amazing built in online map editor and advanced HUD customization. The game play feels really smooth and is quite unique, overall it is a great game. However, I feel a major aspect and appeal to this game is the fact it is limiting itself to an afps only type of game play. While this is the main point of the game, I feel as though a form of modding or scripting would really improve upon the current status of the game. This would allow for many unique game play ideas or unique one of a kind servers to be created by the community. I realize some of you will disagree with this idea as I have been told a downside of this would that people feel it may "split" the already small community. On the contrary, this would instead allow others to become more interested in the game. For example, games like counter strike or Garry's mod thrive upon player created servers that differ from the main game. While it doesn't need to be as modifiable as those games, I feel it would really implement a feature that would make it really stand out. Finally, I would just like to point out how unique Reflex already is. It comes default with several game modes such as 1v1, tdm, ctf, and my favorite race. Allowing for modding, would allow the community to create unique game modes that others would greatly enjoy and would improve upon current game modes. 

What is the communities opinions on adding scripting and modding for game modes and various in-game things? Also, what are the current developers opinions/plans on this?

7 hours ago, newborn said:

If we had the resources to properly support modding, it'd already be done ;)

Glad to hear it's not completely out of the question :). Do you currently have any plans on implementing it though? Can we expect to have this worked on some time in the future when the main features of the game have been completed and there is a steady player count? Sorry if this is hard to answer, I realize it's far off and a lot of people would like to see many features implemented, I'd really just like to know whether there is a plan to eventually add this or if it's just a possibility and most likely will never be implemented. Either way, I'm still pretty impressed with the game as a whole so far, the whole idea of the in-game editor and other things are amazing. 

I really hope this will be implemented when the game is more developed in other areas. For the moment I think, as you mentioned, this would divide the small player base just too much. Imagine: You are looking for a match and you find one to your liking: game mode - check, player count - check. Join and ... boom some custom ruleset with stuff you were not looking for.

Besides atm custom lua scripts are a pretty cool way to augment your gaming experience and even allow for some sophisticated gameplay changes (like terifire's domination mode).

23 hours ago, palindrome said:

Glad to hear it's not completely out of the question :). Do you currently have any plans on implementing it though? Can we expect to have this worked on some time in the future when the main features of the game have been completed and there is a steady player count? Sorry if this is hard to answer, I realize it's far off and a lot of people would like to see many features implemented, I'd really just like to know whether there is a plan to eventually add this or if it's just a possibility and most likely will never be implemented. Either way, I'm still pretty impressed with the game as a whole so far, the whole idea of the in-game editor and other things are amazing. 

Help make this game really, really popular so developers get enough revenue to dedicate full-time to the game!

Alright, I feel like these responses mainly answer my question :). Thanks for the input, glad to hear that modding isn't something completely out of the question. /fragile's response really made me think about just how much it would split the community as well (at least the current one), hopefully this game will become much more popular in the future though once the main things are finished, since it truly has a lot going for it. 

Electro and /fragile like this

On 6/3/2016 at 7:49 PM, newborn said:

If we had the resources to properly support modding, it'd already be done ;)

its actually huge news to have you say that you guys are open to modding in the future :D

I hope we dont have to wait too long for some sort of modding/gamemode scripting to become possible, hopefully after the matchmaking and stats etc. at that point the core of the game will be pretty much as solid as you'd need it.