63 posts in this topic

Herro,

I would like to share my Reflex 'competitive' pack, which replaces your current mother-in-law, sounds, visuals and has all the important competitive widgets included (imo).

So what does this pack do? Does it mess up my Reflex?

- Yes No (but be sure to read the disclaimer down below if you are a pc novice), if you extract this .rar into your reflex main folder, maintaining the folder structure, it will not override anything of the existing Reflex files. In fact, if you don't like a file in this pack you can just remove or rename it, and it will revert back to the old Reflex file (which is in your internal.pak, just don't ever touch the original internal.pak!)

Okay sounds cool, so what's included in this pack? Will this make me pwn more players?

- Well, yes and no (but mostly no). I included sounds from various sources (painkiller, quake 1/2/3, even a bit of warsow and some other misc sounds). Ofcourse the sounds are merely there to enhance your Reflex experience (i never appreciated the plastic sound of Reflex). However what might affect your gameplay the most is the rest that's included. This pack also removes all the smoke, sparks, blood and all that unneeded yadda yadda. How? By making all the files transparant, they are still there, you just won't see them anymore.

Wtf, sounds like cheating! And isn't it illegal?

- Well, i wouldn't go as far to say it's cheating, it just removes some of the excess obscuring effects that plagues you in close combat. Concerning the illegal part, well yeah, obviously these sounds weren't made by me so i guess it's *illegal* but i've seen similar stuff being posted around here so i'll take my chances. Those games are old, dead and forgotten anyway.

Anything else?

- Yeah, there's actually plenty of sounds to choose from. If you browse through the folders you will see additional files with an underscore such as _q3, just remove the _q3 to make it your default sound. For example for LG i included sounds from painkiller, quake 3 and more. To each his own! Also there are 2 files in the plasma and ioncannon folder, which will render them invisible (not just for you, also the enemy's beam, so you won't be blinded as much). Just remove _trans at the end of each file. Oh and there's also the alternative glowcore boltrifle from mikemartin, hope he doesn't mind.

Lol that's nice and all but where's the actual goddamn file?

- Mirror: https://mega.nz/#!IE5i2TJa!Hfkt2SwHxLsR6JDzOOYyJYIPHt9Uqj80UdDagZfG7NA

Update 28/08/16: Added idle sounds for IC/Bolt (Quake 3), added Painkiller stakegun sounds, added QL killsound, added new RA pickup sound, muted burstgun particles sound

Disclaimer: Do not use if you are a Call of Duty fan who values graphics over gameplay. Follow given instructions carefully. Padawan is not responsible for any damage done to your pc or if it ends up crashing into oblivion accompanied by a thousand Blue Screens of Death, nor if you end up with your dick stuck in a toaster due to unclear instructions. Use product at your own risk. Padawan endorses the use of Fatal1ty Gaming Food for the best possible experience.

AliceMadness, JS3, Morgoth and 5 others like this

- Well, i wouldn't go as far to say it's cheating, it just removes some of the excess obscuring effects that plagues you in close combat. Concerning the illegal part, well yeah, obviously these sounds weren't made by me so i guess it's *illegal* but i've seen similar stuff being posted around here so i'll take my chances. Those games are old, dead and forgotten anyway. 

I do sometimes wonder how FPS Arena players are able to play any other games competitively or if there's something wrong with their eyes to begin with. I mean Reflex is already as clear as day and couldn't be more visually obvious if they tried. Compare that to CSGO, CoD, Overwatch, Battlefield, hell... DOTA even and stuff like "removing excess obscuring effects" in bloody Reflex is just taking the piss. At a certain point you might as well just play the maps in WIP texture mode. 

Not having a dig at you personally but sometimes I feel like the community is being a bit too anal and obsessive about these things. :P

Anyway, sorry to be a downer in a thread like this. Keep up the good work. 

I would share my own packs in this thread as well, made them long time ago but forgot to share it here=)

First one includes turned off smoke and sparks and the second one turns off ambient sounds. Enjoy.

zzz-fck_zis.pak

aaa-dez1.pak

Padawan likes this

1 hour ago, VN1X said:

I do sometimes wonder how FPS Arena players are able to play any other games competitively or if there's something wrong with their eyes to begin with. I mean Reflex is already as clear as day and couldn't be more visually obvious if they tried. Compare that to CSGO, CoD, Overwatch, Battlefield, hell... DOTA even and stuff like "removing excess obscuring effects" in bloody Reflex is just taking the piss. At a certain point you might as well just play the maps in WIP texture mode. 

Not having a dig at you personally but sometimes I feel like the community is being a bit too anal and obsessive about these things. :P

Haha it's ok man no personal offence taken, this is just for the players like me, coming from CPMA (very clean visuals if configured correctly) or perhaps from Warsow. I just like to get maximum visibility/clarity and performance out of an arena FPS, i care less about the visuals because i'm forced to play it on low settings either way. Having said that, it's ofcourse up to yourself if you want to use it or not.

VN1X likes this

1 hour ago, Pill_ said:

You call this "competitive?" How am I supposed to play to my full potential if these disgusting sparks obscure my vision? 0/10

Dear customer,

We are genuinely saddened by the fact that we couldn't deliver the exclusive 'competitive' experience, and that you were not capable of reaching your full potat-tial using our product. We had to take certain precautionary measures to ensure that you still were still playing with an obstructing spark in your field of view, because otherwise this would lead to an uncontrollable advantage towards lesser potat-tial players.

Regards,

Justin Sparks

Pill_ and DraQu like this

4 hours ago, VN1X said:

For the individual player, it is a matter of having the option. Padawan is not forcing anyone to use this. He's made it available as a courtesy. If others want to use it, they can.

As far as other communities are concerned,  they seem to care less about these things because, after all, they're playing shitty games. When a game is that shitty, you basically have to accept that shit will obscure your shitty gaming experience. 

BattleSnacks and Padawan like this

1 hour ago, lolograde said:

For the individual player, it is a matter of having the option. Padawan is not forcing anyone to use this. He's made it available as a courtesy. If others want to use it, they can.

As far as other communities are concerned,  they seem to care less about these things because, after all, they're playing shitty games. When a game is that shitty, you basically have to accept that shit will obscure your shitty gaming experience. 

Damn right. I'm not forcing anyone to install this awesome mod, i'm just putting a gun to their head and asking to test it kindly (you will not be dissapointed).

6 hours ago, VN1X said:

I do sometimes wonder how FPS Arena players are able to play any other games competitively or if there's something wrong with their eyes to begin with.

Lolograde wears rapeglasses. It is possible that he is slightly offended by that.

On a sidenote, added a disclaimer for proper use.

lolograde likes this

15 hours ago, VN1X said:

theres sparks and shit flying everywhere, have you seen an lg battle!?

Padawan and VN1X like this

55 minutes ago, Terifire said:

In my opinion removing visuals like the enemy's IC beam and sparks and blood is kind of cheating.

CPM offered this option by default (cg_truelightning -1 would remove all beams), so CPM was indirectly promoting cheats too? :P I think it would be cheating if i kept it to myself and wouldn't share it with anyone, but anyone can use it now. Also i think removing sparks and smoke etc. should have been a default feature regardless, don't know why the devs didn't put it in.

1 minute ago, Padawan said:

CPM offered this option by default (cg_truelightning -1 would remove all beams), so CPM was indirectly promoting cheats too? :P I think it would be cheating if i kept it to myself and wouldn't share it with anyone, but anyone can use it now. Also i think removing sparks and smoke etc. should have been a default feature regardless, don't know why the devs didn't put it in.

I think aslong as its not a direct option in the game itself, removing visuals from the game is cheating
But hey thats just my opinion, man.

DraQu, Terifire, qufit and 1 other like this

1 minute ago, promEUs said:

I think aslong as its not a direct option in the game itself, removing visuals from the game is cheating
But hey thats just my opinion, man.

This is something too minor to mark it as cheats imo, in fact, i think some lua scripts come closer to real cheating (apparantly there's still some armor timers going around, that trigger a 30 sec countdown as soon as u gain a certain amount of armor) than this. It's just for ease and comfort.

edit: 25 sec

53 minutes ago, Padawan said:

This is something too minor to mark it as cheats imo, in fact, i think some lua scripts come closer to real cheating (apparantly there's still some armor timers going around, that trigger a 30 sec countdown as soon as u gain a certain amount of armor) than this. It's just for ease and comfort.

edit: 25 sec

Yeah I was working on something like that recently. There's not really a way to prevent it if you're going to have a scripted HUD. It's not even hard to implement, the main challenge I found was not getting confused by armor shards.

Padawan likes this

1 hour ago, Padawan said:

IIRC truelightning -1 only removed your own beam? Don't think it ever affected the enemy beam.

In the later stages you could disable it anyway as an option I think, but that's the whole thing, it became a cvar, so it was intended that way by the devs.

Removing your own shaft beam is fine imo, because it's something you can do by altering a few cvars and the devs are aware of it (and haven't changed it.)

Altering gamefiles to change the visuals to get an advantage is taking it a step too far.

The "Anyone can use it" point is silly, anyone can use a wallhack or aimbot.

The devs were trying to avoid "pro config advantegeous cvar" hell, hence why many things can't be changed.

30 minutes ago, Terifire said:

In the later stages you could disable it anyway as an option I think

Yes, with cg_lightningstyle you could set the kind of beam or no beam for yourself, teammates and enemies. It was a nice feature that nobody ever used (probably) because you had to dig through the docs to even find it. I kinda miss how much you could customise your game in cpm, it was cool how different the game could look from one player to another.

Anyway, it's not like somebody will suddenly start hitting 50pc lg just because the sparks aren't there anymore, it just makes the game a little easier to look at. The sounds are somewhat of an issue though, as much as I love QW rocket sounds. There's nothing stopping you from replacing red armor pickup sound with 20 seconds of silence and then a five second countdown, but I guess those are alpha problems.

inb4 nobody thought of this before and now everybody is scrambling to audacity for pro pickup sounds.

1 hour ago, Pill_ said:

There's nothing stopping you from replacing red armor pickup sound with 20 seconds of silence and then a five second countdown, but I guess those are alpha problems.

inb4 nobody thought of this before and now everybody is scrambling to audacity for pro pickup sounds.

There should be some limit in how long the audio files can be (if there isnt one already)

Padawan, Pill_ and NicholasWalters like this

1 hour ago, Pill_ said:

Yes, with cg_lightningstyle you could set the kind of beam or no beam for yourself, teammates and enemies. It was a nice feature that nobody ever used (probably) because you had to dig through the docs to even find it.

I can't speak for CPM, but I think it was a well known (and used) cvar in Quake live (but probably not to turn everything off, if even possible in QL). I wear welding glasses when I play reflex.

Just now, Woeste Wessel said:

I can't speak for CPM, but I think it was a well known (and used) cvar in Quake live (but probably not to turn everything off, if even possible in QL). I wear welding glasses when I play reflex.

Ye the cvar cg_lightningstyle was quite well known, but I meant more the fact that you could set different styles for different players: teammates, enemies and yourself. For instance, you could set it so your teammates lg was invisible, your own was thinshaft and the enemies was standard Q3 lg.

3 hours ago, Terifire said:

Altering gamefiles to change the visuals to get an advantage is taking it a step too far.

The "Anyone can use it" point is silly, anyone can use a wallhack or aimbot.

The devs were trying to avoid "pro config advantegeous cvar" hell, hence why many things can't be changed.

No, there is simply no wallhack or aimbot possible/available in Reflex (atleast not at this moment that i'm aware of), so that point is invalid. This tweak was possible, it was bound to be discovered sooner or later anyway (which it did, for example DEZ, Ivan and 'BanReflex' actually had it before i made it) and so the fair thing to do then is to make it public, so there's no advantage for a few players.

3 hours ago, Pill_ said:

There's nothing stopping you from replacing red armor pickup sound with 20 seconds of silence and then a five second countdown, but I guess those are alpha problems.

Yes, i tried this like 2 weeks ago and can confirm it is indeed exploitable (i told a few other players about this but i haven't contacted Shooter yet). I guess it would have been better to inform the devs for a hotfix first rather than post it here but alas (so much for upcoming tourneys :p). And the even bigger issue atm is that LUA widgets are still scriptable to function as armor timers, just read Kered's comment above. Short story: Reflex is cheatable in many ways. Solution: force audio files to max 5 seconds, ban custom lua scripts entirely, and even force server sv_pure 1 as someone mentioned above.

NicholasWalters likes this

52 minutes ago, Padawan said:

No, there is simply no wallhack or aimbot possible/available in Reflex (atleast not at this moment that i'm aware of)

...why do you know that?

No, there is simply no wallhack or aimbot possible/available in Reflex (atleast not at this moment that i'm aware of), so that point is invalid.

I really doubt that since we only have VAC lol

This tweak was possible, it was bound to be discovered sooner or later anyway (which it did, for example DEZ, Ivan and 'BanReflex' actually had it before i made it) and so the fair thing to do then is to make it public, so there's no advantage for a few players.

True and people made it invisible the 1st day that patch came out. I've uploaded my transparent sparks on Discord and on the forums + explained my reasoning, I hope it's something the devs reconsider because it's simply too distracting and I couldn't get used to it.

Ghetto timers are of course possible, but I don't really see much of a problem. You can time anything you pick up yourself and set up a key to press when you hear the enemy pick something up. You might gain something but in the long run it's probably more beneficial to just learn the timings yourself.

Edit: you can also make a widget that tells you the stack of the last alive enemy player in ATDM. A simple fix would be to not have the team stats update before the round ends.

Padawan and NicholasWalters like this