63 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, Terifire said:

But that's exactly the point... disabling the numbers is a matter of setting cl_text_time to 0, without altering any game files. It's removing visual effects without altering (or replacing) gamefiles.

Sorry, I wasn't aware this was a simple cvar, thought it was about circumventing the system with LUA somehow

15 hours ago, ketku said:

Sorry, I wasn't aware this was a simple cvar, thought it was about circumventing the system with LUA somehow

Tbh you were partially right. That widget you are talking about that Teri uses (and me too, also included in this pack) hides the annoying damage numbers for LG, but enables it for other weapons, so you still know how much dmg for example your rockets did (LUA script). So you can still get a (very insignificant) advantage out of it.

NicholasWalters likes this

On 7/17/2016 at 7:58 AM, Padawan said:

Tbh you were partially right. That widget you are talking about that Teri uses (and me too, also included in this pack) hides the annoying damage numbers for LG, but enables it for other weapons, so you still know how much dmg for example your rockets did (LUA script). So you can still get a (very insignificant) advantage out of it.

If you want a widget that does give an advantage you should try my damage numbers widget (I posted it earlier). Knowing exactly how much damage you did in a burst of LG is incredible. It's modeled off how damage numbers work in TF2, where you can set a window during which damage is batched together and the sum is displayed.

the problem with these altered media files is that there is no real limitation as to what you can change and to what extent. while pada's mod is well intentioned, there are many examples of how this could be abused highlighted here in this thread, the obvious one being 25 second armor sounds. this is the system that led to the first cheats in Quake1. People would modify the player model to have big spikes in it, so that you could track them by seeing their spikes clipping through walls, like a primitive wallhack. the only way to stop is to the enforce a purecheck on clients, which afaik is something being worked on already.

as for some feedback on pada's pack itself, i find it very awkward to use - while the base reflex sounds might not appeal to everyone, they are thematically and qualitylevel consistent. these sounds on the other hand are mostly all over the place, and at different quality levels. as an example, QW sounds are cool and all, but they arent exactly the highest quality recordings/audio files, and you can really hear it.

Now that removed ion cannon impact sparks don't work (whether intentionally blocked or not), I hope .46 will have pure so we get these rampant custom sound cheaters in check.

28 minutes ago, Kyto said:

Now that removed ion cannon impact sparks don't work (whether intentionally blocked or not), I hope .46 will have pure so we get these rampant custom sound cheaters in check.

No sparks still works as before.

12 minutes ago, banReflex said:

No sparks still works as before.

Pada's one does, which removes all sparks. But the one that is replacing ioncannon_beam_sparks.effect, ioncannon_beamImpact.effect and ioncannon_beamImpactPlayer.effect doesn't.

banReflex likes this

@thelawenforcer

The exploitability of the soundlength needs to be fixed ASAP yes, i agree. As for your feedback, i can't quite reproduce what you are describing. Sounds are all over the place? For me it's pretty consistent in volume and quality, since most sounds are ripped from Quake 3/Painkiller. Obviously yes the QuakeWorld rocket sound is kinda fucked up, the bitrate is very low, the file stems from 1996. And yeah the hp bubbles/armor/mega sounds stand out alot more, i did that on purpose. All in all i have no problems with the audibility, it's adequate when using headphones.

@Kyto @banReflex That's because the other pack removes the effect rather than the actual sparks. And i'm guessing this latest update did something with the effects, also there seems to be a new shockwave effect after each kill. Anyways yeah, my pack still works it seems, yay.

pada, what i mean is that i have a feeling that even if i didnt know what games each individual sound came from, you could probably still be able to tell just by how each game has it own 'sound' - I'm not an audio engineer so I cant really describe what I mean in technical terms sadly... 

as for audibility, its certainly an improvement over basereflex which has pretty 'wispy' sounds, which I like, but dont stand out as much as these.

another thing that stopped me using it was that i finally learnt all the sounds, and changing them all again wasnt an appealing prospect, maybe sometime in the future ^^

On 17-7-2016 at 1:58 PM, Padawan said:

You don't need a LUA script for that though.

bind s weapon 7; cl_text_time 0

bind a weapon 3; cl_text_time 1

Duck likes this

Update 28/08/16: Added idle sounds for IC/Bolt (Quake 3), added Painkiller stakegun sounds, added QL killsound, added new RA pickup sound, muted burstgun particles sound

Hey, just wanted to let you guys know I've added the hitsounds from this pack to the Steam Workshop here. Credit given. <3 Painkiller.

Padawan likes this

18 hours ago, reverb said:

Hey, just wanted to let you guys know I've added the hitsounds from this pack to the Steam Workshop here. Credit given. <3 Painkiller.

Yeah i saw it while browsing the addons section in workshop, good job