Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kev!

[Completed] King of America #1 - Saturday, August 27, 2016 - Reflex Duel (1v1) Tournament

Do you like this tournament?   31 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like this Tournament?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

30 posts in this topic

Tourney was streamed at

https://www.twitch.tv/klyph0rd/v/86028980

and

https://www.twitch.tv/klyph0rd/v/86060168

King of America #1

Prizes based on donation and support from the players and fans from all around the world!

Donate Here!

Prizes updated to top 4 payout.

1. 50%
  2. 20%
  3. 15%
  4. 10%

Current Amount: $41.00 USD

Donators: Kev! ($1.00), lolograde ($25.00), SickDownLink ($15)

DATE: August 27, 2016 

TIME: tourney time changed to 11:30 AM (pacific) 1430 (eastern) to meet a couple players needs.

Discord server for Reflex to meet with other players.

GAMETYPE: Duel 1v1

SLOTS: No limit

FORMAT: Double Elimination 10 minute games best of 3 with 2 minute overtimes

SIGNUP HERE: http://challonge.com/tournaments/signup/biUOBmgj67

BRACKETS HERE: http://challonge.com/reflexAugust27

MAP POOL: 

• The Catalyst
  • Furnace
  • Pocket Infinity
  • Aerowalk
  • Phrantic
  • Flex Lab
  • Blood Run

General Rules:

Default duel mode currently in the game using the new experimental ruleset (no item timers).

Unsporting behavior may be penalized.
Any attempt to bypass the ruleset will result in disqualification from the cup.

Be autonomous, contact your opponent, play your match, report the score on the Challonge webpage.

Map  Picking system :

Coin toss determines who is Player 1 and Player 2. Seeds will determine the Player order in future King of America events.

• Player 1 picks a map from the Map Pool,
  • Player 2 picks a different map from the Map Pool,
  • if a 3rd map is required, Player 2 drops a map from the remaining Pool, then Player 1, then Player 2, then Player 1, and the last map left is the decider. 

Servers/non American players :
No unauthorized spectators will be allowed on the servers
Any server can be used as long as both opponents agree. Fairness first, if fighting outside of America - players will agree or American soil trumps the unreasonable, however - the American dueler must choose a server that is most fair for their opponent. America includes North America, South America and Latin America.

Admins :
Kev!, Klyph0rd

MAD_JIHAD, Kyto, Grybzt and 5 others like this

Map pool is kinda bad. Maybe Catalyst, Furnace, Simplicity, Pocket Infinity, Fortune, Static Discharge, and Quickfire?

Greed likes this

About the Map Pool: I am relatively unfamiliar with the "standard Map Pool," however, for future events we can look into adding/removing/changing etc... Bare with me... there are no terrible maps in this list and I only selected a few of them because I didn't know what else everyone regularly plays. I tried Flex Lab: it is a pretty fun and very easy to learn map. You can learn it in 1-2 games with ease just like I did.

Phrantic and Aerowalk: get used to them because I am very fond of these maps (from a spectator point of view) from other games. I also like to mix it up a little each week (like Flex Lab... I will throw in wild card maps!). Entertain me with suggestions.

I will also start up some 2v2 tourneys in the nearing future when more 2v2 maps come into the scene.

1 hour ago, Kev! said:

About the Map Pool: I am relatively unfamiliar with the "standard Map Pool," however, for future events we can look into adding/removing/changing etc... Bare with me... there are no terrible maps in this list and I only selected a few of them because I didn't know what else everyone regularly plays. I tried Flex Lab: it is a pretty fun and very easy to learn map. You can learn it in 1-2 games with ease just like I did.

Phrantic and Aerowalk: get used to them because I am very fond of these maps (from a spectator point of view) from other games. I also like to mix it up a little each week (like Flex Lab... I will throw in wild card maps!). Entertain me with suggestions.

I will also start up some 2v2 tourneys in the nearing future when more 2v2 maps come into the scene.

No prob. Since it's your tournament, it's your call. These are just my two cents.

There's no "standard map pool" yet. I think that's still TBD as the game gets closer to finished and new maps are created and vetted. However, I'm opposed to remakes from other games in Reflex tournaments -- like Phrantic, Aerowalk, and Bloodrun -- because some people (myself included) have been playing these maps for 10+ years. It will skew the outcome of the tournament towards players who have lots of experience on these old maps. Also, there's already a lot of great original maps in Reflex and think the remakes hold the game back a bit from becoming its own thing. 

For the future, it might be fun to do a "legacy" map pool tournaments with remakes of Use & Abuse (greatest map of all time), Aero, Phrantic, Bloodrun, etc..

3 hours ago, Kev! said:

Coming from a TO and player perspective, the map pool is completely reasonable for this kind of event IMO

SickDownlink likes this

I think map remakes should only be in classic tournaments (where the whole map pool is old maps) and the rest of the cups should focus on maps that are made originally for Reflex. It helps to keep it interesting and also shuts down the people who always say "reflex is a quake/cpm clone"

Might want to make each map name in your list a link to the workshop page; I've seen at least two versions of bloodrun on the workshop, I've played on at least three versions of aerowalk, and I've encountered two different versions of 24 before. All have basically the same geometry and most of the differences are visual, but always good to remove unneeded ambiguity.

11 hours ago, lolograde said:

It will skew the outcome of the tournament towards players who have lots of experience on these old maps. Also, there's already a lot of great original maps in Reflex and think the remakes hold the game back a bit from becoming its own thing. 

For the future, it might be fun to do a "legacy" map pool tournaments with remakes of Use & Abuse (greatest map of all time), Aero, Phrantic, Bloodrun, etc..

I disagree. Most likely 2 Reflex maps will be played in each set of 3. So the Reflex players have every opportunity to win 2x maps of the 3x maps chosen in a best of 3. Phrantic is pretty different, Aerowalk is slightly different and has weird stair jumps, and Blood Run is different as well. All maps also play different than Quake or Doom because of the overpowered armor system for the player in control and the broken weapon switch to rail combo (both need to be nerfed, and hopefully one of the developers do something about that). I would suggest 75 armor yellow and 125 armor red and a small delay on switching to rail from guns like Ion Cannon.

There are 4 Reflex maps and 3 legacy with a Reflex twist and Reflex's combat system. I've played Blood Run for a couple weeks but I have watched it for years and enjoyed it for years. It was also featured at Quakecon in the 2v2 and 1v1 tournaments in both Quakeworld and Quakelive. No reason to leave it out. It also gives old-school players with little Reflex experience a fighting chance on 1 of the 2 1st games.

In my opinion Reflex is very much its own thing. It borrows elements from many different FPS games and crams them into one (balanced or not). 

7 hours ago, klyph0rd said:

Might want to make each map name in your list a link to the workshop page; I've seen at least two versions of bloodrun on the workshop, I've played on at least three versions of aerowalk, and I've encountered two different versions of 24 before. All have basically the same geometry and most of the differences are visual, but always good to remove unneeded ambiguity.

I will do a little research and update the Pool with those refinements.

Also, I want to add that the last online Euro tourney that I saw only had 5 Reflex maps and 5 maps total in the Pool. This tourney has 7 maps and 4 are Reflex originals. 

I'm not really following why simply adding more popular maps to the pool is a bad idea. Wouldn't that attract more players from Quake to try it out? Do you want to stay a small niche community or at least attempt to expand? Expansion leads to more competition and a larger following. This also boosts the revenue stream for the developers so they can add new content and hire new employees (if they are even at that level yet).

When I learned this game has some older maps it drew me in. I'm not even close to knowledgeable on the movement engine - and that is why Reflex is unique.

6 hours ago, Kev! said:

I disagree. Most likely 2 Reflex maps will be played in each set of 3. So the Reflex players have every opportunity to win 2x maps of the 3x maps chosen in a best of 3. Phrantic is pretty different, Aerowalk is slightly different and has weird stair jumps, and Blood Run is different as well. All maps also play different than Quake or Doom because of the overpowered armor system for the player in control and the broken weapon switch to rail combo (both need to be nerfed, and hopefully one of the developers do something about that). I would suggest 75 armor yellow and 125 armor red and a small delay on switching to rail from guns like Ion Cannon.

Since map selection is pick-pick-drop-drop-drop-drop, it means players can play the map they're most confident/comfortable on. Veterans (from CPM or QL) who are intent on winning will likely pick Aerowalk or Phrantic for their maps. It's a freebie they are unlikely to lose versus someone who hasn't played those maps for years and years. 

Just in case you weren't aware, Phrantic (aka cpm24) and Aerowalk (aka cpm22) were very popular CPM maps with cpm22 being probably the single most played CPM map. Since Reflex has a really strong resemblance to CPM (much more so than Quake Live or Doom), it's hard to argue that Phrantic and Aerowalk won't give the veteran CPM players an edge. 

9 hours ago, Kev! said:

I will do a little research and update the Pool with those refinements.

If it helps:

Most commonly played version of Phrantic
Pretty version of Phrantic (might be nice if you're streaming this)

Commonly played Catalyst
Alternate better frames version of catalyst

Commonly played Pocket Infinity
Alternate better frames version of Pocket Infinity

One version of Blood Run
Another (disgustingly colored) version of Bloodrun

And these only have one version on workshop
Flex Lab
Aerowalk
Furnace

For the first three that have two versions, I personally would love to see the higher quality one used if this is being streamed, to show off the quality of the game. If both players agree, you might allow them to play on the other one for frames.

We can also do most popular by default or if players agree to go with the more stream-friendly map... they are more than welcome. We need more sign-ups and donations.... let's go guys and girls! Will my $1 be the only dollar to be won by the competitors!? I would donate more, but I just bought college books and school supplies for my children.

9 hours ago, Electro said:

Bench the remakes

New generation time!!1!

And leave sane alone. Bullies. Not reflex cool. :hammer:

I will switch the Map Pool weekly. Have fun!

Nobody is bullying sane. I simply asked if he is gay. Relax young fish.

2 hours ago, Kev! said:

We need more sign-ups and donations.... let's go guys and girls! Will my $1 be the only dollar to be won by the competitors!?

Donated $25.00 and signed up.

Also, is someone going to help you with the seeding?

You didn't have the skill to backtrack, nor did you have the balls to compete in quakeworld at quakecon.  What makes you think you'll have the balls to play in any real tournaments in the future...

Once a supporter in Redemption and Pristine, I have now been informed.  Break stole your girlfriend in Cali and I know that must hurt.  We know everything.

While my girl Flow4 will be sitting on my lap during the tournament, because we originally had plans sunday, I will destroy you in the only game that currently matters: Reflex.