Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ZTK

[17-18/9/2016] ZTKFPS Duel Season Championships

7 posts in this topic

The regular season's midweekly cups have concluded, 4 memes have been created and eight names have established themselves to be the best in the Oceanic Scene. Continue reading for tournament info and a loopy/wavey/buzzy/shandy writeup from Cerno! This is the culmination of a project very close to my heart, and seeing it come to this is borderline surreal. I hope you enjoy viewing as much as the admins did putting it all together. Loopy, Wavey, Buzzy and Shandy to the most high, my dudes.

Viewer's guide: Games will be live at http://twitch.tv/ztkfps, as always with your old m8s Phylum and ZTK coming through your speakers at the following times. If you've missed any of the midweekly cups and want to catch up, you can do so our youtube link: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYmC-9O1T6DPgUDtAZ3VkdA. http://twitter.com/ztkfps if you want up to the minute news and status updates. Following us means a great deal to us, and we really do appreciate it.

Sydney (Australia - New South Wales) Saturday, 17 September 2016 at 8:00:00 p.m.  AEST UTC+10 hours 
London (United Kingdom - England)    Saturday, 17 September 2016 at 11:00:00 a.m. BST  UTC+1 hour   
New York (USA - New York)            Saturday, 17 September 2016 at 6:00:00 a.m.  EDT  UTC-4 hours  
Los Angeles (USA - California)       Saturday, 17 September 2016 at 3:00:00 a.m.  PDT  UTC-7 hours  
Corresponding UTC (GMT)              Saturday, 17 September 2016 at 10:00:00    

DEMOS/VODS/BRACKETS
https://www.dropbox.com/s/roi1wjv3vewpibn/ZTKFPS%20REFLEX%20DUEL%20SEASON.zip?dl=0 ALL demos here throughout reg season and champs

Brackets can all be found at the new challonge domain https://ZTKFPS.challonge.com https://ZTKFPS.challonge.com/seasonchamps is for the championship bracket.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCYmC-9O1T6DPgUDtAZ3VkdA ZTKFPS Youtube channel - Some vods will be reuploaded to avoid a brief foray into copyright strikes and I won't break the URL for the boys. Playlist can be found here: 

In summation, this was a really fun event for me to conceptualize, produce and have people enjoy. It's been a wicked learning experience and a wonderful opportunity. I was going to make this longer but it'd be fluff. Thanks to all my dudes :fist:
________________________________________________________________________________________________

Tournament Information: 

Participants: Ultra, Matt, Dacra, Dorinos, Stral, qHat, Profanum, Cerno

Format: Competition spans two days - Sat 17th, Sunday 18th September.

Bracket: http://reflexau.challonge.com/seasonchamps

Semifinals, LB(r4) and Grand Final will be played on Sunday, 18 September at 8pm AEST.

MAP POOL: Aerowalk, Use and Abuse, Quickfire, Tephra, Ruin, Static Discharge, Furnace

MATCH SYSTEM:

Double Elim bracket with Bo3 Winner's Bracket (WB) and Loser's Bracket (LB). Bo5 Grand Final. 

VETO:

Both players /roll 100, player with highest number bans first.

Bo3: ban ban pick pick ban ban play

Grand Final: ban ban pick pick pick pick play

PRIZES:

1st: $135

2nd: $95

3rd: $40

http://www.reflexfps.net.au/2016/09/duel-season-championship-breakdown/ 

GETTING ((((LOOPY AF)))) FOR THE REFLEX AU DUEL SEASON FINALS

The Reflex AU Duel Season nears its tense conclusion! Written for the lead up to the Season Finals, this article will give readers a brief run-down on each of the players – their backgrounds, in-game characteristics, strengths/weaknesses and their chances for the upcoming showdown.

Ultra
Australian Tremulous star Ultra578 came to CPM (and Warsow) several years ago. Although he stood as a low to intermediate level player for some time, a subsequent period of solid practice in CPM saw a quick rise in skill level and he came into Reflex with a strong start. Honestly, I am not all that familiar with Ultra’s approach to the game but I have the impression that while his game is fairly well-round he does lean towards aggressive, positional and aim-based plays focussed often on catching the opponent in vulnerable spots. His hitscan is particularly strong due in no small part to his notable experience with CS titles. He has possibly the best knowledge of Reflex maps given his long exposure to the title, although Profanum may rival him in this regard. In this recent series, he has faced adversity in the form of challenging matches with Qhat, Profanum and Matt. I suspect also that the changing ruleset has caused some pain for him as for others. He still has the aim, movement and map skills necessary to overcome this challenge and I think he simply needs to exercise more patience, contesting the control in a more unpredictable fashion and perhaps paying closer mind to the item rotation. A small tweak in his approach in this direction is all he needs to secure a victory in the coming finals.

Stral
AKA AstralSerpent. I know this player mainly from QuakeWorld and CPM, but I think he also a lot of experience in CS. His passion for QuakeWorld in recent years led to his going up the ladder to higher levels of play. He started Reflex off steadily and with a solid practice regime continues to grow as a dueller and team player. His CS experience and exposure to projectile-heavy play in QuakeWorld gives him fine all-round aim and he has clearly paid some attention to the movement side of things. 

Matt
Coming mainly from an extensive Warsow and Quake Live background, Matt demonstrates an impressive awareness of item cycles. Dedicating himself to consistently appearing at item fights has proven particularly effective in a game that places huge importance on health and armour as a way of gaining an advantage. His ability to extend his item awareness to the YAs is unusual for his skill level and this ensures that even those generally better than him have a hard time controlling the map. Matt tends not to rely on accuracy but often shows a calm and dependable use of hitscan weapons. For Matt to place greater emphasis on player control and responsiveness to the opponent’s strategy, while maintaining his emphasis on the items, would make him a serious contender for top 3. Right now I see him as the most likely to cause an upset against our 3 best players and I look forward to some solid plays from him following on from the impressive matches he has already given us.

Cerno
This NZ player is mainly from a Quake Live background but has had significant involvement in CPM and QuakeWorld. Erratic time on the servers in recent years has ended and he is now practicing to have a serious go at the game. While having a seemingly sound understanding of the game and sometimes making interesting reads of the opponent, cerno has a long way to go before putting this into practice at a significant skill level. Putting up a fight against others in the tournament will require a lot more attention to the item rotation and generally to more consistent play.

Dacra
Entering the Reflex scene with no previous experience in Arena FPS titles, Dacra has progressed a great deal in the past year or so and should soon be able to take maps off of the top 3 players. It is easy to forget the difficulty new players like Dacra can face immersing themselves in obscure Arena FPS titles like Reflex, but he seems to be throwing himself into the game with much enthusiasm and his knowledge of the game has been the better for it. In-game he shows a real talent for rockets (demonstrated spectacularly in CrazyAl’s recent frag clip) and, taking advantage of the weapon’s overpowered nature in Reflex, he is often successful in using it to bully his opponent off of items. Like Matt, he shows a strong understanding of the item rotation and this is a solid foundation for any player thinking seriously about taking their game to a higher level. If he concentrates on drilling his hitscan and movement skills and takes a more positional and opponent-responsive approach to the game, he will continue to improve substantially. His rigorous preparation for this series sets us high hopes for his performance in the finals.

Qhat
Formerly known by pythia and samityr, this is another player who has been all over the lot in terms of competitive FPS titles. Looking at his general exposure to competitive and high-level play it is clear that he is the most experienced player in this group, displaying cool-headedness and a steady hand in high-pressure situations. He is reputed for his relentlessly consistent effect with the BR: there are only a handful of Australian Quake players rivalling his ability with this gun. In reality, his rail does tend to create an unusual advantage for him but his ability with all weapons is very strong. While appearing at times entirely reliant on aim, he, in fact, has great positional awareness which allows him to reach consistently high damage output. Put qhat in a good position with the railgun and he will take complete advantage of this. Nor is he any slouch in timing the items and reading the opponent. With a great deal of CPM experience behind him (he took most of the one-day cups towards the end of that game’s activity) qhat has had no problem adapting to Reflex. If he has a weakness it will most likely be his map knowledge. He has already seriously challenged the status quo in the scene and could easily take these finals if his performance is consistent with that of late.

Dorinos
Similarly to Dacra this player appears to have taken his first dive into Arena FPS with Reflex and has driven his skills to a higher level through sustained practice. Given his significant hours played in CS:GO it is no surprise that he displays considerable mechanical skill and can hold his own in fights with most of the other players. Although he has seen some tough draws in this series, these matches could be an important stage in his development as a dueller should he decide to continue playing.

Profanum
Profanum has had long exposure to multiple Arena FPS titles, most notably (I believe) Quake 4 and CPM, and to a lesser extent QuakeWorld, Warsow and Quake Live. My view of his playstyle is that he tries to put together creative and unexpected plays that often involve a build-up of speed leading to critical initial damage in fights. When warmed up he can reach astounding accuracies and always shows a healthy amount of HAL-style showmanship. While tending towards a hard-headed, aim-based approach to duelling, he can, in fact, display striking understanding of the opponent and at times attains a degree of manipulativeness indicative of high-level play. He has a mastery of the movement system rivalled only by a few other Australian players and exploits this to great effect in 1v1 matches. Recently he appears to have taken a page out of qhat’s book and has relied a lot on the BR for opening up new opportunities and breaking control: this is a surprising alteration given his prior disdain for the gun. Of this group of players, I believe he shows the most talent and affinity for Reflex in particular. More focus on consistently playing his best will increase his already high chances of taking the finals. Unfortunately, he has had to miss one or two of the tourneys in this series and it remains to be seen how prepared he will be for these final matches. Doubtless, he will still bring some big plays and stunning shots to the screen.

Concluding Thoughts
I remember enjoying a write-up that newborn wrote for the first CPM cup I played in and thought it might be good to write one of my own. Hopefully, this hasn’t been too cringeworthy. Above all, I am glad to see the scene developing over time and hope to see an even larger turnout in the coming months. As for these finals I can’t say for sure who will win, but three things are for certain: the plays will be lit, the memes loopy and the gamers bigger than ever. Indeed as ultra recently mused: ‘what a fuckin game’. Thanks for reading!

– cerno

Kyto, Dorinos, CrazyAl and 8 others like this

My overview forgot to mention there was a shit ton half 1 and 2 deathmatch in my early days :D. Looking forward to actually playing this time >:[

Updated with VODs, lost demo pack and preserved challonge brackets. Best of luck to Reflex in the future.