JeremyG

minor
[49.2] When both players pick up an item at the exact same time, the lowest client index gets it.

9 posts in this topic

As the title says, when both players pick up an item at the exact same time, the lowest client index gets the item. This is mostly a problem if both players are on an item pedestal as it spawns.

I think a better way to handle this edge case is to give the item to whoever is closer to the center point of the item.

Grybzt and Smilecythe like this

What if the players are at equal distance from the center? Very unlikely, but for personal reasons I'm interested in what would be a good solution to resolve that. 

JeremyG likes this

6 hours ago, Smilecythe said:

What if the players are at equal distance from the center? Very unlikely, but for personal reasons I'm interested in what would be a good solution to resolve that. 

I thought of that, and I think the best answer would be to leave that (extremely rare) edge case to RNG. That way there's no biases :)

22 minutes ago, JeremyG said:

I thought of that, and I think the best answer would be to leave that (extremely rare) edge case to RNG. That way there's no biases :)

Or maybe nobody gets it until next tick when someone is going to be closer.

Kyto likes this

All of this micro action where the pickup decision is based on who's closest to the center would be happening within milliseconds. I could imagine it being hard to estimate from your own POV which one of you is closer to the center and when the difference is within 1 digit units - at that point I think it might as well be RNG. 

Maybe not give the item to either player until one of them have been pushed out the pickup zone? This would also not have biases, wouldn't be random, would be solved about as fast and might be the most visually comprehensive solution.

I think that, if we're assuming that everyone is superhuman and can see the difference between 1 unit, it could get slightly messy if the player that ends up getting the red gets damaged in that small timeframe.

I could also imagine a situation where two players are standing up against each other for about a second, being equidistant to the item. What happens then? Will the item just sit there, not getting picked up? I can already see the bug reports rolling in ;)

I'm gonna bump this post because this exact thing happened to me again this week.

I'd like to hear some more opinions on this, I can't be the only one who's had this happen in a game.

On 2/17/2017 at 10:03 PM, CxeofPromode said:

What does lowest client index mean?  Lowest ping?

No, usually it's whoever joined first. If you type "callvote kick" in console, it'll show players with their respective client indices

Interesting problem. Random is not a good option imo.

One more fair possible solution is : neither of the players grab the item until one of them get out of the range of the item pickup. In other words the item is not picked up while there are more than 1 player in position of grabbing it.

lolograde likes this