Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
shooter

Official 2v2 TDM Mapping Competition - Results!

38 posts in this topic

Im not talking about theory crafting analysis but REAL gameplay. 

Theory analysis has the same value as a bunch of poo

Electro likes this

23 hours ago, def said:

Im not talking about theory crafting analysis but REAL gameplay. 

Theory analysis has the same value as a bunch of poo

To someone with bad theory ?

Ok it appears i need to chime in.

The judges chosen are respected and impartial. 

Matches were played over multiple sessions, i hosted some so i have some of those demos still i believe.

All of the judges votes were done independently and i collated them, the devs had no bias in weighting towards the tallies. The top 3 were a fair margin ahead of the others that made the top 10.

I apologise for the mess up regarding public voting, it was something we originally weren't going to do at all, then we were... then we had real life issues going on that needed to delay for further proper judging and we were going to update the announcement to remove the bite about public voting and well it slipped through. Things happen. I'm sorry. If we do one again there's plenty we've learned from to do it more smoothly.

I have some very rough notes i took down so i could remember and make a cheat sheet for myself later on. I'll take the time to go through them and elaborate on them and the criteria i personally used to assess. I'll also post the top 10.

I'd also like to personally thank everyone for their submissions and hard work it was really great to see.

Grybzt, Nathan, Yasashii and 13 others like this

11 minutes ago, Nathan said:

To someone with bad theory ?

i'm sorry but even the best player in the world cant judge a map with just theory analysis without gameplay

On 10/3/2016 at 4:09 PM, def said:

i'm sorry but even the best player in the world cant judge a map with just theory analysis without gameplay

I disagree with that statement. If you see a large symmetric square shaped map, which is literally just an inside of a box, with items placed on each corner and bolt with lots of ammo on the middle. Bolt would obviously be an important weapon on that map and the symmetric destination of items makes decision making really just up to luck, whichever you spawn closest to and whichever at the time is more useful/available. This you can tell without gameplay. It might turn out to be actually fun in a carefree brainless action kinda way if you playtested it, but you'd have more the less predicted it's shortcomings as a competitive map. When you're looking for something specific, sometimes eyes can tell about as much as playtest. If you can do small scale analysis like this, there's no reason why it couldn't expand on larger scale and more complex maps as well. People with experience simply have more insight on how things play out. Can the judges miss out on the intentions of a map, by simply not knowing about it? Definitely. I think this is what you were going for.

Did the judges run around each map and theorize gameplay? Probably, I'm sure the judges did at least this much. Assuming that counts as playtesting then we're probably fine.

Did the judges play at least one full match on each map? I doubt it. It would be easily proven with replay files, which are easy to share and watch. If they do actually exist, the slowness and unwillingness to share them is kinda curious.

pakao likes this

maybe i wasnt clear enough. sure u can say a block map might be bad and not competitive.

but lets say we have 10 potentially good maps by analysis, it can turn out some just dont play good and some do better. and this can only be done by real gameplay testing.

theory is called theory for a reason. it doesnt have to be the reality in pracitcal gaming

BattleSnacks likes this

2 hours ago, fuglaa said:

Why does mapping get everyone so salty?

Lets see: Continuously changing art styles, pulling back of assets (textures/meshes), weapons being coded out, an unofficial mapping contest where the organizer runs away and lastly an official mapping contest where you get almost zero feedback even if you win. Maybe we're salty because mapping for Reflex throughout it's existence has just been frustrating as fuck. The "pre-alpha" excuse is also starting to get old, you'd think we're past the point where things have to be handled half-assedly? Also, we're just salty by nature aight? It's how this community operates.

lumpp, pakao, promEUs and 2 others like this

On ‎03‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 3:02 PM, Electro said:

I'll also post the top 10.

We are still waiting for this top 10 list... Will we get it one day ?

The single easiest method to make a map unique from the onset is item elimination.  For example: No bolt.  etc.

It would be nice to get more of these in rotation.  I'm surprised this hasn't been done yet.  That or I'm ignorant of the general consensus that people really like infinite range, high damage, single fire, hitscan weapons.

Or why not design maps that emphasize one weapon over another?  For example a very tight map, with small hallways and no open spaces.  I guess I'm somewhat puzzled that maps are designed so that everything has equal amounts of viability, and this is seen as a virtue.

QW is retarded in that no new maps are being made/used but I think they have a good thing going with the absence of that long hitscan weapon.

HaraldQuake likes this