Qualx

Reflex League - Beta Season

22 posts in this topic

https://ReflexLeague.org

Beta Season

This is a double round robin (everyone plays everyone else, twice) 1v1 competition, with players divided into skill-matched divisions of 8 players each. Your performance in one season will contribute to your placement in the following season. All games are Bo3.

Where:

Currently accepting signups in EU, NA, AU. We've already got enough people for the league to run in EU and NA, and there's no upper limit, since there can just be MORE divisions.

EU/NA/AU players can't apply to regions other than their own, and players can only apply for one region.

I'm not sure how many RU players there are and I forgot about RU when I was initially setting this up. I can add RU as a fourth region really easily if there are enough people, otherwise they can enter whichever of EU and NA they ping better to (but may have to play on bad servers).

When:

Signup closes (beginning of) 27th October, matches start 12th November. Possibly pre-season playoffs between 27th October and 12th November, if necessary to help with division placement. (I'd previously mentioned 5th November as a start date, but I forgot that people would need time to arrange their first games and complain about divisions.) The main season will run for 7 weeks of matches, although it's likely that there'll be a catch-up week at the end. Future seasons will probably be run roughly on a 2 months on, 2 months off basis (as in, 2 months between every season) but don't quote me on that.

Map pool:

• Furnace
  • The Catalyst
  • Pocket Infinity
  • Simplicity
  • Abandoned Shelter
  • Static Discharge

If necessary, where possible, players will be allowed to play on performance versions of the above maps. To be allowed, the performance version must be geometrically identical (or near enough) and have identical item layout. It must be created by the original map's creator, or, at the very least, created with their explicit knowledge and permission, and given their authorisation.

Each round will have a 3-map subset of this pool. Every player will meet each other player twice over the course of the league, and the map pool for the second match will always be the reverse of the first. Assuming both deciders get played, players will play all 6 maps against every opponent over the course of the season.

Cointoss will occur before the first match only, for any pair of players. Winner chooses who is A and who is B. Match 1: A pick, B pick, decider. Match 2: B pick, A pick, decider.

A 2-0 match will award 3 points to the winner; a 2-1 win will give 1 point per map.

Other Rules

• The usual spectator rule applies to prevent ghosting. This will be enforced by the league servers, and players joining games without permission may find themselves being penalised.
  • Players will have a week at the start of the season to schedule their first round games, and thereafter games can be scheduled from the beginning of the preceding round. Rounds will be 9 days long, overlapping on weekends. Scheduling will be partially automatic; players will be able to specify timeslots when they will be available, and then the autoscheduler will assign match times at mutually convenient times. If this can't be resolved, then players will be expected to negotiate a time, or an admin can be asked to adjudicate.
  • If Reflex's rulesets have been updated by the start of the season, players will use the competitive ruleset. If not, players will be allowed to agree with their opponent to use experimental or competitive. It hasn't yet been decided what the default will be, since there are good arguments against both.
  • See the season page for the complete exciting array of rules!

Streams

Obviously because of the slightly unpredictable nature of the scheduling, it's not possible to guarantee that any particular game will be streamed. Players may be asked to schedule a game with a streamer if it's of particular interest. This may be subject to change.

At least some games will be streamed by ArenaFPS (https://twitch.tv/ArenaFPS). Anyone else interested to stream should get in touch once the match lists have been generated.

Prize Pool

No prize pool as yet. If you want to donate, get in touch with me on Discord because I don't yet have a separate paypal to take donations, and I tend to get paid for my work through paypal, and I don't want stuff to get confused.

Sponsors

If you're a company and you want to donate server time to the league, or money/stuff to the prize pool, I can discuss about providing advertising space. Adverts must be image-or-text-only (no bullshit multimedia stuff) and must be small files. They'll be placed unobtrusively, most likely in the unused side areas of the site, and I'm not going to try and bypass ad-blockers. Files will be served from my server so that I can be sure that I'm not referencing malicious files.

Something Else

This is the thing I forgot to mention.

Stalast, truck, Pill_ and 19 others like this

EU BOYS LETS ADD! Don't worry about your skill level, we already have 3 divisions so the more people in the pool the evener the divs will hopefully get. GET HYPED MOTHERFUCKERS HYPERSPEED TO GITTING GUD

Grybzt likes this

I think its actually pretty smart. Many new players in the league, good force them play "all" famous/competitive maps. That avoid ppl stuck to 2 maps which they play all time and on others are bad/ignore them.

Jaguar likes this

3 hours ago, capodecima said:

I think its actually pretty smart. Many new players in the league, good force them play "all" famous/competitive maps. That avoid ppl stuck to 2 maps which they play all time and on others are bad/ignore them.

Indeed. It is much fairer this way.

A mechanism with fake money as a prediction market would be kinda cool and give visibility.  Isn't the architecture of this already on ESR?  Piggy back off them.

Guys, is there any place where the match results are posted, where demos are downloadable?  In the future, these leagues must get rid of the "secret society" syndrome.

On 11/30/2016 at 6:17 AM, EternalRage said:

Guys, is there any place where the match results are posted, where demos are downloadable?  In the future, these leagues must get rid of the "secret society" syndrome.

If you check out the Reflex League website, there are score tables there. For example: 
https://reflexleague.org/competition.php?season=1&page=tables
You can just change the region to check everyone out.

I will be trying to get a list of links for some games that were streamed and post them on the website/here. Hope that helps!

On 12/4/2016 at 9:22 PM, Thaylia said:

If you check out the Reflex League website, there are score tables there. For example: 
https://reflexleague.org/competition.php?season=1&page=tables
You can just change the region to check everyone out.

I will be trying to get a list of links for some games that were streamed and post them on the website/here. Hope that helps!

Ahhh.  Thanks.  I didn't have any region selected.  Now I see the tables.

On 12/18/2016 at 9:13 AM, Jaguar said:

This playlist - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QCf2IzoxUPU&list=PLidDI7Oi9sjH8SUaLty93PRD6UBAeoDZC - has all of my duels in from 5A. Some recordings didn't work but i should fill in the gaps from replays later on. SnowySkum stomping me 3-0 will be made public shortly :D

Thanks Jaguar, I have updated the list :)

Jaguar likes this

13 hours ago, dare said:

hey i want to record a replay for youtube but it says this 

715b5a00a1047398e1f52455e1017096.png

is there a way to fix this? 

Your replay is propably in wrong directory.

That "Replay old version...." message is about the background "demo" you see in menu. Atleast i see that message everytime i launch reflex.

Edited by danskq

@Thaylia I'm happy for you to have access to the FTP if you want, so you can just browse what's available. Although I'm gonna be sticking a frontend on it sooner or later, possibly now.

Edited by Qualx

10 hours ago, EternalRage said:

That jumping sound in Chorta's demos is thebomb.com.  What is that from?

shadow play captures sound in reflex in a very strange way...

11 hours ago, chortas said:

shadow play captures sound in reflex in a very strange way...

Seems a marked improvement.

Next, to squash the pig noises.