Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
adem

[0.47.5] Sound crackling during playing

12 posts in this topic

I experience some sound cracklings in game. It seems like crackling interferences with game action and sounds that are played during it. Another interesting fact is that crackling happens even with s_volume 0. Basically this sound problem reminds me sound artifacts that happen after setting too low s_mixahead in QuakeLive or Warsow. Here is a short video where crackling is recorded (sorry for the black borders, it was recorded not in fullscreen mode):

Crackling is noticeable at: 00:16, (at 00:20 s_volume was set to 0), 00:23, 00:26, 00:27, 00:30, 00:31, 00:32, 00:42, 00:46

And here some information about my PC:
CPU: Intel Core i5 2320 @ 3.00GHz Sandy Bridge
RAM: 8,00ГБ Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 665MHz
Motherboard: Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. H61M-D2-B3 (Socket 1155)
Display: BenQGL2040M (1600x900@80Hz)
GPU: 1023MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650
Audio: Realtek High Definition Audio

My ingame config is attached.

game.cfg

I sometimes experience this too (and before the latest update -- I remember this happening for a long while though it seems to have improved a bit in recent updates). I also have the Realtek High Definition Audio hardware... The rest of my hardware is different, though.

Edited by lolograde

And this doesn't happen while you're not playing Reflex?

Cause I'd assume that this is hardware-caused. But I might be very much wrong about that.

Nope, it doesn't happen anywhere else, otherwise I won't report it as Reflex bug. I'm quite skilled QA to determine bugs :b

I just had this same crackling noise happen to me yesterday while playing CTF. The only noticable difference is that I don't use on-board audio card for audio, but a Asus Xonar DGX.

Sound crackling is still presented in Reflex 0.48.1, it would be really nice if developers could pay a bit more attention to this issue, it makes gameplay experience very annoying and unpleasant. If there is more information needed - please ask, I'd like to help as far I can.

43 minutes ago, adem said:

Sound crackling is still presented in Reflex 0.48.1, it would be really nice if developers could pay a bit more attention to this issue, it makes gameplay experience very annoying and unpleasant. If there is more information needed - please ask, I'd like to help as far I can.

Are your audio drivers up to date?

Always experienced this since I started to set the volume at 0 sometimes. (1+ year easily)

Edited by Ramagan

1 hour ago, Jaguar said:

Are your audio drivers up to date?

yes, sir, i'm updating audio drivers constantly

54 minutes ago, adem said:

yes, sir, i'm updating audio drivers constantly

Constantly?! What date is your driver?

Right click start menu
Click on Device Manager
Double click on 'Sound, video and game controllers'
Right click 'Realtek High Definition Audio'
Click on Properties
Click on Driver Tab

What does it say there for Driver Date and Driver Version, please? :)

20 hours ago, Jaguar said:

Constantly?! What date is your driver?

yes, I mean manually, I do check http://driveroff.net/ like once per 1-2 months and download and install drivers for my hardware if there are any updates.

So my sound driver version and date are 6.0.1.8004 / 29.11.2016

Perhaps try the official driver for your motherboard - http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3773#dl - which is dated earlier, but there's a chance you're using a newer more generic driver for that chip rather than the implementation that your motherboard manufacturer has used. I've not heard of driveroff.net before but I generally do not trust those kinds of sites/services when it comes to finding the right driver for your system. Best to do it manually and in as direct a way as possible (e.g. going to the manufacturer's site).

Worth a shot anyway, and if the crackling sound happens regularly it shouldn't take long for you to know if it has worked or not.