shooter

Reflex 0.48.0 - Matchmaking + Ironguard + more

53 posts in this topic

Today we're releasing Matchmaking, our new 2v2 Ironguard from our previous competition, and many other small fixes!

Matchmaking:

So how does it work?

Under "PLAY" in the menu, you will see "Quick Play" which is the new Matchmaking, "Find Match" which is the server browsers, and "Create Match" which is the old Start Server.

Under Quick Play you can select all the "playlists" you want to queue for, and hit start.

At this point, you're put in a lobby server, here you can run around / practice etc while your worked through the queue. If you leave the lobby, you will be removed from the matchmaking queue.

Once a match is made, the players for your game will be sent off to another server to play your match. After this match that server will turn into a lobby server at which point you'll be automatically re-queued to matchmaking.

Is it ranked?

Competitive modes are ranked. After your first 10 placement matches you'll be able to see which division you have achieved. We also display a progress but which shows your progress through the division.

At the end of a match you'll see your division progress change due to the match results.

Casual modes are internally ranked, but the user is presented with XP, as the focus is on fun + gaining XP.

What ranks are there?

There are 7 ranks to work through:

• Bronze
  • Silver
  • Gold
  • Platinum
  • Diamond
  • Overlord
  • Prime Overlord

Where are the servers hosted?

We'd like to pass a huge thanks to Linden from Swiftnode, who is our official server host. We have servers hosted throughout US, EU, AU, Russia and Japan. We'll be watching server load and adjusted server numbers as required. If you select "Region" in the "Quick Play" screen you can see your ping to each region. If there's demand for another region please reply and if it's popular enough we'll look at adding servers there.

Further Notes:

We don't have the resources to test matchmaking on a larger scale, so please be patient if it's a bit bumpy over the new few days/weeks as we tweak the system as players start to use it.

The playlists are not set in stone. We're interested to see which ones are popular, and open to any changes / suggestions people have on improving them / adding new ones. Update: I'll put a post together later day listing all playlists & map pool selection

Iron Guard:

Iron Guard our recent 2v2 competition winning map has been release with an art pass. We've added several new supporting art meshes which now can be used in your own maps.

Bridge Tool:

The bridge tool is a new map editor tool, this allows you to more easily create smooth geometry with brushes.

• In editor, hold shift to select a face, push "B" to start
  • now go to another face and you'll see the wire-frame outline of brushes to be generated
  • you can use mousewheel to decrease/increase tessellation
  • when you click, the brushes are created.

New Cosmetics:

• Stun baton
  • Spartan head
  • Supporter pipe
  • Supporter cleaver

Mapping changes:

• Added authorString to worldspawn. This allows users to set a custom author string to support multiple authors.
  • The mode1v1, modeCTF etc properties in worldspawn now all default to off, you need to set these up properly next time you publish! Hopefully this will help cleanup the workshop somewhat.

Server Improvements:

• Added ip cvar for multi-home support (use +ip xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx as command line parameter)
  • Implemented rcon support following Source RCON protocol
  • Added sv_mode, sv_mutators, sv_ruleset to allow you to instantly change without callvote
  • Added sv_allowcallvote

Gameplay improvements:

• Added forfeit option
  • Added 2v2 gamemode
  • Team damage now off in casual ruleset
  • Casual CTF time limit reduces to 10 mins (from 15)
  • Casual arena score limits reduced (atdm 8->5, affa 8->5, a1v1 12->5)

Bug Fixes:

• Server STDIN now reads from console input rather than STDIN. This fixes issue where if STDIN is re-directed, we would end up spinning eating CPU usage.
  • Fixed bug in callvote shuffle where it would pull too many players over
  • Fixed issue where "Spectors", "Players", "Editors" etc titles would receive incorrect colours in scoreboard
  • Optimisation/fix: widget list only sent to when it changes (rather than every frame)
  • Server countdown won't start if server is still downloading from workshop (previously you could hear it on load screen)

•  

Cheers!

-- Shooter

Would it be possible in the future to change the queue system to make it so once you queue up for a ranked game, you can join any server on the server browser or play offline while you wait instead of having to join an FFA server? If I'm going to wait for a game to pop, I'd like to be able to choose what I do during that time.

Ironguard's art pass looks great. My first matched duel was against Rama. Can we have a community vote or something for the name of the top tier ranks please, I'm not sure about 'Overlord'? 2v2. Hype. Much wow :D

I have some questions.

- How to build a party for comp duos/ctf?

- Why ctf is 5v5, not 4v4?

- I think, report player option would be good to implement when matchmaking is released. [harrasment(?), team killing, cheating etc.] It's just a matter of time to see bolt rifle aimbotters, wallhackers etc.

lumpp likes this

Please don't force me to be on  lobby server while waiting for ranked match,people are making noise, jumping , chatting and i can't do anything on my pc while i am at lobby,usually it takes quit some time for match to be ready and i would love to browse internet or watch movie meanwhile.If i disable sound, will not hear notification .

Stalast, A. Benz, Ramagan and 2 others like this

11 minutes ago, NicholasWalters said:

Please don't force me to be on  lobby server while waiting for ranked match,people are making noise, jumping , chatting and i can't do anything on my pc while i am at lobby,usually it takes quit some time for match to be ready and i would love to browse internet or watch movie meanwhile.If i disable sound, will not hear notification .

This seems to the most unanimous part of feedback so far - whilst the warmup lobby area is a great idea, the option to just sit quietly drinking your cup of tea/coffee/beer until you get a match would also be nice. The 'flowy' aspect of warmup lobby/game/lobby/game/lobby is really nice though. It would also be nice to be able to join any server whilst waiting for your match, particularly at times when you have to wait a while.

NicholasWalters and Tsarenir like this

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

no changes to weapon balance?

One of the devs said something in Discord about no changes being pushed to rulesets due to lack of consensus, iirc. I guess an executive decision will have to be made at some point!

really nice update, great work guys! just please make 2v2 tl 10/15 min and i will be totally happy =)

List of quick suggestions in order of importance :

-Display the map pool like you display the servers and let people choose what they want to play (starcraft/csgo style), some people don't want to play certain maps and others just want to only play a specific one.

-Add an option so we're not forced to join an ffa server while waiting.

-servers were laggy for me, they also happen to be all 16 slots for no reason.

-Make the mmr visible, display the divisions (starcraft style).

- I understand that the ruleset stuff isn't settled but please add the obvious stuff like you did in 47.1

Experimental:

• Player hitbox uses new bullet shape
  • Max splash damage a rocket can now do is 85 (direct is still 100)

And wallclipping could be nice aswell.

Oh and the last 2 rank names, please reconsider.

Thank you.

Edited by Ramagan
NicholasWalters likes this

2 hours ago, Ramagan said:

-Display the map pool like you display the servers and let people choose what they want to play (starcraft/csgo style), some people don't want to play certain maps and others just want to only play a specific one.

That's exactly the reason it's somewhat "random"? Why would you wanna allow people to only play certain maps? If player X only plays t7 and gains high elo ...but can't play any other map... doesn't seem like a fair representation of that players skill.

I like the current map voting system.

Process for matchmaking seems good to me for now, but for the love of god.... pls re-think this whole lobby system. It's honestly bad UX design. Having people being AFK on servers is annoying for the ones that actually want to play on a lobby server, and being forced to join a lobby server is bad for people that don't want to be in-game while waiting for a match. And you don't wanna hear ingame sounds 24/7 when alt-tabbing. Muting Reflex will cause you do not hear the match-found-sound. 

Regards

FlabCaptain likes this

So biggest feedback by far is wanting to do other stuff while queued. It was designed to keep you engaged during games with the lobby/game/lobby/game flow. We'll have to have some talks and see what we come up with.

For maps pools & what exactly playlists are check http://forums.reflexarena.com/index.php?/topic/4165-matchmaking-playlists/

Both bullet hitbox & wall clipping are already in all rulesets.

We'll be going through experimental and pulling things in to competitive ruleset over the next few point releases as that's what is played on official MM servers.

Thanks guys! :)

A. Benz, trip and lolograde like this

Super sweet to have an official 2v2 mode in the game. It's not only very fun, but when you can party up before matchmaking some time in the future I think it could be a fantastic beginner mode too to just jump into with a friend.

wrjthe likes this