shooter

Matchmaking Playlists & Map Pools

39 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, truck said:

please don't add random, unplayed maps to the competitive pool

how else are you gonna introduce new maps in the pool? If we keep playing t7 and t2 all day erry day, we're gonna bleed the game dry. Experienced players will get bored and new players will have to grind out for like a year to be even somewhat competitive.

Jaguar, Flakx and Grybzt like this

3 hours ago, Pill_ said:

how else are you gonna introduce new maps in the pool? If we keep playing t7 and t2 all day erry day, we're gonna bleed the game dry. Experienced players will get bored and new players will have to grind out for like a year to be even somewhat competitive.

In theory new players would get matched with new players... So both dunno the maps, hence it is competitive for them. In theory. 

But yeah... New maps are gonna have a harder time now I assume... 

#riskformatchmaking

Jaguar likes this

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already: Why not have a rotating map pool? Maybe create map "seasons" (maybe 3 months?) and rotate the maps for each new season? I'd still recommend keeping a standard set of maps that are the most popular (Catalyst, Simplicity, Pocket Infinity, Fortune, Furnace, Ruin, and Static Discharge) and then rotate in 1 or 2 new maps each "season". This could be announced ahead of the start of the new season so players could practice the new maps before playing ranked games on them.

Pill_, Grybzt and Furioness like this

53 minutes ago, lolograde said:

Not sure if anyone has mentioned this already: Why not have a rotating map pool? Maybe create map "seasons" (maybe 3 months?) and rotate the maps for each new season? I'd still recommend keeping a standard set of maps that are the most popular (Catalyst, Simplicity, Pocket Infinity, Fortune, Furnace, Ruin, and Static Discharge) and then rotate in 1 or 2 new maps each "season". This could be announced ahead of the start of the new season so players could practice the new maps before playing ranked games on them.

1 hour ago, lolograde said:

Yeah we'll absolutely be doing seasons once the MM system is finalised. We have a lot of refinements in progress atm :)

Grybzt, Furioness and Jaguar like this

Such a shame MM is pretty much dead in AU, just waited in a warm up server for about 20 minutes :(

AU players, Buy a 4 pack and share it with your friends haha, I'm doing this once every month or so.

you've made hundreds from me alone devs haha.

Grybzt likes this

Really I would remove all unneeded playlists (FFA, Instagib, Arena FFA, Arena Duel). I think it would make it easier to find players for team games and competetive gamemodes in general. We still have the server browser. The current voting system and workshop support is great and can still be used for casual play on public servers outside MM.

I hope we get a 5-map-pool for competitive duel soon. I'm tired of this Sanctum/421/Static Discharge votes..... or whatever other awkward combination comes up at times.

NicholasWalters likes this

you mean like t7 / dp5 / t2 :>

Some kind of seasonal stuff would be very dope tho, and then people gets to know when <X map I dont like> is out of the pool.

I might be the weird faction tho, who would rather have 5 new maps in MM queue than another two years of Catalyst 24/7

16 hours ago, Owl said:

you mean like t7 / dp5 / t2 :>

Some kind of seasonal stuff would be very dope tho, and then people gets to know when <X map I dont like> is out of the pool.

I might be the weird faction tho, who would rather have 5 new maps in MM queue than another two years of Catalyst 24/7

Having new maps for the sake of new maps is barely a good thing. Creating an competitive environment should be about reducing randomness as much as possible. Using maps that are well played instead of forcing weird new maps does that.

Of course you then have the problem of: when there's a good new map.... will it ever get into the competitive pool?

IMO competitive matchmaking = proven, good/solid maps

casual matchmaking = random maps, if you ask me even with a lot more maps

7 hours ago, A. Benz said:

IMO competitive matchmaking = proven, good/solid maps

casual matchmaking = random maps, if you ask me even with a lot more maps

I thought casual MM was to practice for competitive MM ?

So I think map pools should be same for both.

Also TDM pool is in duel maps... Why not just remove TDM at all, if it's 2v2 anyway.

6 hours ago, Irish_(not the map maker) said:

Anyone for cpma Phrantic? i can't be the only one? </3

I remember Memphis had very nice Phrantic "remake" ,just changed quit a lot things , more hallways, bigger rooms etc. Love that map , it plays really good in Reflex too.Also IMO stake stake launcher(fixed,not that useless 100 damage per hit sissy weapon)  in this map would work great.