capo

The playing with shotgun need to be more satisficing

14 posts in this topic

I think fragging with all weapons is fantastic. ion, bolt, rl, plasma are awesome. gl too,.. the melee and burst are ok too. But the shotgun. It feels really so weird to play with it. The fragging is just not much fun with this gun. Like when you hit, it feels so dull to me. Well shooting pellets against steel robot is just not good. I am not actually sure how improve it, but it needs just the projectiles to be more agressive, something like they need to hurts the robot more, ( and i dont mean more dmg). It just needs to feel like you are hurting the robot, not feel like you are shooting steel wall. I was thinking about  phosphorous projectiles could just mark the body with some color. Like you shot and you see the bullets in body for while. (something like some red astral super bullets i dunno. :D) Definitely needs some change on this...

/fragile, Chongus, Stylin and 4 others like this

I get what you mean. It's not a very satisfying gun. I think part of it is that it's not very easy to identify each of your shots since it's hitscan and theres no beam. As in the guy just dies to a couple of bullets that weren't on your crosshair. Probably just the nature of shotgun weapons in general.

this has been addressed in many of the experimental_plus rulesets
A lot of the rulesets increase the total dmg to 114 (increasing the dmg per pellet by 1)
and a few of them have increased trace radius for the pellets, resulting in a more responsive feel

Shrapnell comming of the robot, accopanied with the sound you hear when it rains against a window. dismemberment on frag would defenately increase gruesome nature of the shotgun.

5 hours ago, Chongus said:

Probably just the nature of shotgun weapons in general.

Do you remember the Flak Cannon from Unreal? That thing has some major impact when shot at someone.

edit: even though the Flak-Cannon is projectile based :)

Skaarj likes this

5 hours ago, Xytaglyph said:

A lot of the rulesets increase the total dmg to 114 (increasing the dmg per pellet by 1)
and a few of them have increased trace radius for the pellets, resulting in a more responsive feel

I think @capodecima is talking about the feeling and not the actual damage of the weapon. I agree that it feels underwhelming shooting it and I only get satisfaction using the shotgun if it kills in one hit. I would appreciate another visual fx or sfx showing more impact for shotgun as well.

Joe, discoMoose, Grybzt and 2 others like this

nah bruh

shotgun needs to feel like you are hitting someone with rockets + RG IF you' at close range

Personally I don't like the current shotgun model. The barrels on shotgun are bigger than on the Grenadelauncher and the reload animation looks too simple :D

Furioness likes this

I would also like to suggest a new shotgun reload/cocking animation. The current one is very simple and doesn't give a good feeling that a BOOMSTICK should. Compare it to something like Doom 2's super shotgun or trench gun from CoD2 and you can see how it's lacking.

That and making the weapon move back more when shot would give it an entirely different feeling.

Yeah, the shotgun (and plasma too imo) aren't there yet on a game feel level. The shotgun needs a heavier kickback animation, more noticeable impact particles, and maybe a heavier sound effect. Take a look at the UT99 flak cannon, Half life 2's shotgun, or even Quake Live's shotgun. They all feel right.

On 1/13/2017 at 5:19 AM, Xytaglyph said:

i dont think this fixes the issue.

in practice, you get high damage from the current shotgun when you are really close to the enemy. in addition, you will most likely have to catch someone unaware. at this point, the best solution is melee, or rockets. you can get medium range damage of 20~30 dmg now, when you could be using IC or bolt.

when the shotgun was tighter, you could get more damage at distance - yet you could still use the bolt. CQC shots for 100 dmg still required you to be dead on target and you could easily miss entire shots (and otherwise use rockets).

but the usable range was wider. it was a solid tier-2 weapon that had the advantage over bolt of being also usable in CQC. now, i'm not sure what the current shotgun is supposed to do.  

i'm all up for 80 dmg bolt, but i think IC ought to be 7 (adjust for reload value) and shotgun brought back to the earlier pattern. i want deadlier weapons, the rockets got buffed (through the generous bounce value), i see no reason why we can't have a real SG + IC.

I think the issue is the hitbeeps. Sometimes, you're doing quite a bit of damage with SG but it doesn't seem like it because of the default hitbeeps can be quite underwhelming. Wish the hitbeeps would scale by 10dmg: 1-10dmg, 11-20dmg, 21-30dmg, etc.. Instead of what they are currently which is by 25, I think. 

Lorim and discoMoose like this