shooter

Reflex 0.48.1 - Immediate fixes + Gameplay balance adjustments

24 posts in this topic

Today's point release contains a couple immediate bug fixes as well as a big cleanup on game balance settings. 

Note: Very aware of the issue where MMR is not being awarded correctly after some Matchmaking games, we are looking in to this.

Generic Fixes:

• Fixed crash bug on launch when using Steam Client Beta

• Added option to hide MM servers from server browser
  • Added option to hide locked server from server browser
  • CTF is now 4v4
  • Fixed timelimit on doubles to be 10/15mins (casual/competitive)
  • Massive gameplay cleanup, experimental/casual/competitive now have consistent knockback/damages etc

Ironguard fixes:

• YA pipes now angled to jump up
  • +5h pickups in duct no longer floating
  • Fixed collision near mega floor
  • Fixed collision in doorframe at carnage

Gameplay:

We've done a big cleanup pass on game balance. Competitive/Casual are the core rulesets we have as they are the rulesets used on matchmaking. All experimental settings (with slightly modification) have been pulled into casual/competitive (see full list below). There are a lot of changes including splash, timelimits, weapon respawns and weapon damage / knockback.

Splash knockback:
We've pulled our recent splash changes from experimental into competitive/casual. The differences you'll see in competitive/casual (from before) are: The splash should now be more linear based on distance from impact. The knock-up is also fixed.

Matchmaking changes:
CTF is now 4v4
Doubles now correctly uses 2v2 gamemode (will have lower timelimit)

Time limits:
mode: casual / competitive
ffa: 5 / 10
1v1: 5 / 10
2v2: 10 / 15
tdm: 10 / 20
ctf: 10/ 20

Power-up drop:
OFF in 2v2 + TDM only

Weapon respawn time:
20 seconds in competitive 2v2/TDM (was 25 in competitive, 20 in experimental), 10 seconds in all other modes.

Armor & mega pickup sounds:
We've increased the distance armor & mega sounds can be heard from 1340 -> 2200 units.

Burstgun
burstgun_ammopickupammo 5 (was 10 in competitive)
burstgun_lowammo 5 (was 10 in competitive)
burstgun_maxammo 30 (was 40 in competitive)
burstgun_startammo 20 (was 40 in competitive)

Shotgun
shotgun_reload 950 (was 1000 in competitive)
shotgun_ammopickupammo 5 (was 10 in competitive)
shotgun_pellet_knockmult 1.6 (was 2 in competitive)
shotgun_pellet_knockmult_airbourne 1.4 (was 1.25 in competitive)
shotgun_pellet_trace_radius_entities 0.5 (was 0 in competitive)

Grenade
grenade_trace_radius_world 1.0 (was 0.5 in competitive, 0 in experimental)
grenade_trace_radius_entities 0.25 (was 0.5 in competitive, was 0 in experimental)

Plasma
plasmarifle_lowammo 30 (was 40 in competitive)
plasmarifle_maxammo 120 (was 200 in competitive, 150 in experimental)
plasmarifle_weaponpickupammo 75 (was 60 in competitive, was 75 in experimental)
plasmarifle_ammopickupammo 30 (was 50 in competitive)
cell_knockmult 0.85 (was 0.428 in competitive, 0.425 in experimental)
cell_knockmult_self 2.0 (was 2.22 in competitive, 2.0 in experimental)
cell_knockmult_airbourne 1.0 (was 2.14 in competitive, 1.0 in experimental)

Rocket Launcher
rocketlauncher_maxammo 25 (was 30 in competitive)
rocket_damage_splashmult 0.85 (was 1.0 in competitive, 0.85 in experimental)
(this means a direct rocket does 100 damage, if you JUST miss the max splash damage you can do is 85)
rocket_explosion_radius 116 (was 112 in competitive, 112 in experimental)
rocket_knockmult 0.85 (was 1.0 in competitive, 1.0 in experimental)
rocket_knockmult_airbourne 1.0 (was 1.5 in competitive, 1 in experimental)
rocket_trace_radius_world 0.25 (was 0 in competitive, 1 in experimental)
rocket_trace_radius_entities 1 (was 0 in competitive, 1 in experimental)

Ion Cannon
hum is now enabled (was off in competitive, on in experimental)
hum far atten changed from 1340 -> 1250 (travels less distance)
hum 3d volume changed from .7 -> .6
hum 2d volume changed from .7 -> .2
beam_knockmult 1.4 (was 1.8 in competitive, 1.7 in experimental)
beam_knockmult_airbourne 1.6 (was 1.3 in competitive, 1.7 in experimental)
beam_trace_radius_entities 0.5 (was 0 in competitive, 0.5 in experimental)
ioncannon_reload 46 (was 44 in competitive, 46 in experimental)
ioncannon_lowammo 30 (was 60 in competitive)
ioncannon_maxammo 150 (was 200 in competitive)

Bolt Rifle
bolt far atten changed from 1340 -> 1250 (travels less distance)
bolt 3d volume changed from .8 -> .6
bolt 2d volume changed from .8 -> .2
boltrifle_weaponpickupammo 5 (was 10 in competitive)

As always, open to _constructive_ feedback. Let's be nice to each other lads :) <3

Have a great weekend!

Cheers,

--Shooter

Yup, Xytaglyph, slobo^- and 13 others like this

This looks very good, Love most of the balance changes and I'm eager to try this setting for the Ion cannon.
I'm inclined to think that it may be slightly too weak, but nevertheless stronger than the reflex league

Electro and NicholasWalters like this

Why 20 s respawn time on weapons? 10 s are better. 20 s will change TDM from rape to torture + rape for the losing team... Pls change it back to 10.

One thing was pretty confusing for me: at some point after one of my placement matches it found me and my opponent another game, which resulted in a 5 minute match and gave me and him experience instead of a that ranked placement progress bar and then it just kept on going (5min + exp) for me and my next opponents. Some of them were also questioning the length of a match. I doubt it being an end of my placement games because I'm only half way through. If it is then it's a major UX concern.

5 hours ago, furyaxsfigkjhn said:

Why 20 s respawn time on weapons? 10 s are better. 20 s will change TDM from rape to torture + rape for the losing team... Pls change it back to 10.

please no, 20 is maybe ok in 2v2.

in 4v4, i am strongly in favor of 30s. if you want everyone to have a rocketlauncher you should play arena tdm.

tdm is/should be more on the duel-end of the "how hard is this gamemode"-spectrum.

edit: if you really cant understand why this is, you should try watching some cpm tdm vod (30s weapons respawn) and see how the meta is, concentrate on how many weapons everyone has and how the players control the map. you will notice that the gameplay is quite slow, methodical, sometimes even passive, compared to arena gameplay/ffa or other modes with lots of weapons.

if you give players los of weapons, the gameplay will not be chill at all, there will be rockets flying around everywhere, half the people on the map have a shaft, the other have bolt, it is very hectic and chaotic and leaves no room for tactics. armors and powerups mean nothing when a corner gets spammed by 2-4 rockets.

Edited by dansen

4 hours ago, fuglaa said:

good rocket changes just needs the jarring knockback fix

I thought that was fixed in this hotfix?

• burstgun_lowammo is 10 not 5
  • Shotgun has low ammo on pickup (10) which is a bit strange. I think it should be 5

I feel like 10 grenades on pickup are a bit too many. The best (imo ofc) suggestion I have is this:

• lowammo 3
  • maxammo 12
  • weaponpickupammo 6
  • ammopickupammo 3

Pocketinfinity (clean) is not the kind of map that adds a nice looking thing into the map and then make it 1 unit lower than the rest of the floor to screw with your mind. (talking about the grid below the low yellow armor on the regular pockt infinity and also the slight height difference under red armor) also why has nobody suggested 421 (clean) yet? I can see that it is a tad hard to see depth but at least you have good fps. Idk about the rest of the maps beacause I just want to play the maps that are in the tournaments, which is a bit hard since the map pool is different every time :/

On 13/01/2017 at 0:57 PM, kRVRKV said:

One thing was pretty confusing for me: at some point after one of my placement matches it found me and my opponent another game, which resulted in a 5 minute match and gave me and him experience instead of a that ranked placement progress bar and then it just kept on going (5min + exp) for me and my next opponents. Some of them were also questioning the length of a match. I doubt it being an end of my placement games because I'm only half way through. If it is then it's a major UX concern.

Were you 100% sure that you were queued only for competitive duel? Because this happened to me and Aquila. We were both only queued for competitive duel, played a game, then got rematched but it was for a casual duel (casual ruleset, timers showing, 5mins). And it was on Fusion, which was not one of the three maps that appeared for me on the selection screen. I reported it to shooter but it sounds like this might have happened to you too. He was going to look at the replay. Although I've just checked replays.reflexarena.com now and my game with Aquila isn't there still :/ Maybe casual games don't get saved.

On 14/01/2017 at 4:01 AM, Jaguar said:
On 13/01/2017 at 11:54 PM, fuglaa said:

good rocket changes just needs the jarring knockback fix

I thought that was fixed in this hotfix?

So did I -- any further info?

On 15/01/2017 at 3:00 AM, Luft said:

I feel like 10 grenades on pickup are a bit too many. The best (imo ofc) suggestion I have is this:

• lowammo 3
  • maxammo 12
  • weaponpickupammo 6
  • ammopickupammo 3

What do others feel about this? 

3 hours ago, shooter said:

So did I -- any further info?

What do others feel about this? 

I haven't noticed any issues with rocket knockback/popping since you merged rulesets. Nades favour the out of control player so I think 10 is good. Gives the out of control player a decent chance of spamming an area to deny it.

I can't play like this, can we go back to the old Competitive Ruleset...? +fwd rockets and +back rockets has become stupid good. Yo I might be a half assed player and I might not perform nearly as well as the other bigger fish but you gotta all admit the Rockets are fucked and the IC isn't the IC without some knock back. The Bolt Rifle is fine no one gives a shit about the Bolt Rifle. 

Can we also acknowledge the potential of the Plasma Gun?

On 1/16/2017 at 9:42 AM, Blazo said:

I can't play like this, can we go back to the old Competitive Ruleset...? +fwd rockets and +back rockets has become stupid good. Yo I might be a half assed player and I might not perform nearly as well as the other bigger fish but you gotta all admit the Rockets are fucked and the IC isn't the IC without some knock back. The Bolt Rifle is fine no one gives a shit about the Bolt Rifle. 

Can we also acknowledge the potential of the Plasma Gun?

dmg + kb reduction is too much and its stupid that noone gives a shit about the bolt

20 hours ago, fuglaa said:

dmg + kb reduction is too much and its stupid that noone gives a shit about the bolt

What's wrong with the bolt rifle?

All these changes are in the right direction. I like them a lot!

I do feel that the air kb on the IC is still a bit too strong, it's too easy to just +back IC the entire game.

I suppose if you lowered the time to reload the bolt, then you could combat the IC a bit better, but then again, that would just make +back even stronger.

I'm tired of walking around the map for 10 mins, I just wanna go fast!

Also, 10 grenades on weaponpickup is too much imo. Here is how I would have the grenade ammo set up:

_grenadelauncher_weaponpickupammo "5"

_grenadelauncher_maxammo "10"

_grenadelauncher_ammopickupammo "5"

And 25 RL maxammo is also too much. I would lower it to 20.

Edited by LoNeZiLLa
NicholasWalters and doombro like this

14 hours ago, fuglaa said:

the fact youre punished for using it - see yourself and DK

cpm has tried several things in the past to adress this problem.

1.5s reload time and then switch is very punishable. so at some point fastswitch was introduced where you could switch from rail befor reload was complete.

this turned out to be a little too op in some cases, and was mostly only used for clanarena. finally rail reload was reduced to 1.2s as a compromise, which is still used for non arena gamestypes.

lolograde likes this