shooter

Reflex 0.49.0 - Matchmaking refinements

49 posts in this topic

Hi guys,

Matchmaking was released with a blast. We've had over 10,000 games played in just 2 weeks!

The focus of this build is to directly improve on our first pass matchmaking implementation with our observations made the community feedback we have received. :)

Matchmaking: Vote system

49_newvoting_75.png

• We have re-worked the map voting system to a pick/drop solution where you cannot see your opponents vote until vote time is over
      • We wanted to keep the 3 random map selection still, but we do agree with giving the power to down rank a map, and have this map not played. So your down vote will out-rank the opponents up vote.
      • With larger groups the voting is cumulative, so be strategic when voting as a party!

Matchmaking: Spectate games

49_watchmm_75.png

• People want to be able to watch active MM games (and so do we!). We've made this possible, and even added it as a tile to the home menu!
      • Spectators can only talk with other spectators, to ensure the people playing are not interrupted.

Matchmaking: Party support

49_party_75.png

• We've added party support! So you can now grab your friend and queue up in the fun
      • Party chat is available in menu of course. You can also party chat in game via sayparty (default bind U).

Matchmaking: Lobby now optional

• We've added a lobby checkbox on the Quickplay screen so people can chose to go play other things while they wait for the matchmaking queue to pop!
      • We also re-positioned the overlay so it wouldn't overlap game time widgets since you can play other games while in queue.

Matchmaking: Backend changes

• We have re-structured how data is stored behind the scenes to split regions into US/EU etc
      • This is an ongoing process that's setting things up for the near future
      • MMR has been reset as a result.

Matchmaking: Servers

• Added Brazil servers
      • Russian servers have moved location to hopefully provide better pings

UI improvements:

• Health bar widget: added options from armour bar
      • Server browser: added option to sort servers by hostname
      • Server browser: restored "show old" option
      • Added prev/next page button to addon browser
      • MMR values now refreshed when going to main menu to ensure they're up-to-date on profile tile overlay
      • Updated twitter link in home menu

Art improvements:

• Thicker MH pickup trails for improved visibility
      • Reduced IC impact sparks amount and size
      • Fixed bone orientation for adjustable wrench and pipe wrench
      • Armour mesh changed to hostile torso

Game improvements:

• Disable previously set mutators when starting training from the menu
      • Added mutator: infinite ammo
      • Removed weapon hum in instagib mutator
      • Can no longer forfeit on racemode
      • Added enemy sounds for jump/land etc (thanks Greed)
      • Tweaked damage sounds for friendly/enemy players
      • Added new keybind mark replay, defaults to M
      • Added new loading tip: "Remember to hit 'Mark Replay' in your matchmaking games, you might be famous!",
      • Added new loading tip: "Matchmaking replays can be found at replays.reflexarena.com"

Lua changes:

• Log type notification now has subtypes: generic, party, pickup
      • Log type chat now has additional subtype: party

Bug fixes:

• Game now clamps cl_playercolor* to safe ranges
      • Fixed potential crash bug when matchmaking popup times out & user is disconnected

--Shooter

As always nice update! What about to add in game global chat? So you can chat with other players while in queue and switch chats by hitting TAB (global/party/pm) or something like that.

Nathan, Yup and Owl like this

3 minutes ago, ToRRent said:

Can you add possibility to watch mm matches when in queue? :P

You can, kinda, if you go spectate a match and then queue up. It would be more convenient if it kept you in the queue when you go spectate a match though.

12 minutes ago, Nathan said:

Images in these update threads are a nice touch. More please :rolleyes:

Indeed. The only thing lacking is a clever update name like they used to do.

12 hours ago, shooter said:

Added new keybind mark replay, defaults to M

Is this different from the previous mark replay (cl_replaymarker)? Or is it just now default to M?

I absolutely love how all these changes are coming from suggestions from the players not more than two weeks ago and they're already implemented. Amazing job devs, glad I found this game/community. 

1 hour ago, lolograde said:

Indeed. The only thing lacking is a clever update name like they used to do.

This. Lay on the memes!

Anyway, great update, crazy-fast turnaround!

Jaguar likes this

for addon purposes, what are the filenames of the new model sounds?

E: nvm, seekax already told me. If anybody else is wondering base/internal/characters/hostile/enemy

Edited by Pill_

17 hours ago, shooter said:

Reduced IC impact sparks amount and size

Static Discharge and Fortune just became a tad less sparkly. 

Is there a way to disable or change the new sounds I actually can't stand them for some reason and it is partly putting me off playing the game right now.

NicholasWalters likes this

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

Is there a way to disable or change the new sounds I actually can't stand them for some reason and it is partly putting me off playing the game right now.

There's a way to do it with a Lua addon/widget, but I'm not savvy on that. I bet someone is already working on an addon (available on the Steam workshop) to change the new sounds.

But there's a way to do it manually: 1) Save a backup of the internal.pk3 file, 2) extract with a zip file extractor, 3) replace the sound files you want to replace, 4) rezip the file and make the file extension .pk3. Done!

5 minutes ago, lolograde said:

There's a way to do it with a Lua addon/widget, but I'm not savvy on that. I bet someone is already working on an addon (available on the Steam workshop) to change the new sounds.

But there's a way to do it manually: 1) Save a backup of the internal.pk3 file, 2) extract with a zip file extractor, 3) replace the sound files you want to replace, 4) rezip the file and make the file extension .pk3. Done!

Cheers I'll have a look into that, although I'm not too savvy on it either the second way you mentioned looks doable.

2 minutes ago, Adam said:

Cheers I'll have a look into that, although I'm not too savvy on it either the second way you mentioned looks doable.

I'd also search on the Steam workshop. Perhaps someone has already created an addon to replace the new sounds (looks like @Pill_ might be doing so). You would need to just search through Options --> Addons --> Explore Addons on workshop (or something like that). Then once you download the addon, you'll need to restart the game. That'll do it.