shooter

Reflex 0.49.0 - Matchmaking refinements

49 posts in this topic

Lovely update shooter ! <3

One thing I would add to spectating games would be to make it automatic. After match end, you would be put to spectate next highest MMR(if chosen) match. 

Jumping servers every 10 minutes is not that smooth :P

Also, is drop in/out mid game for casual gamemodes planned?

Very nice update, spectating feature is my favorite on this update :) along with the join server checkbox...

On 31/01/2017 at 7:29 PM, lolograde said:

There's a way to do it with a Lua addon/widget, but I'm not savvy on that. I bet someone is already working on an addon (available on the Steam workshop) to change the new sounds.

But there's a way to do it manually: 1) Save a backup of the internal.pk3 file, 2) extract with a zip file extractor, 3) replace the sound files you want to replace, 4) rezip the file and make the file extension .pk3. Done!

On 31/01/2017 at 7:40 PM, Adam said:

Cheers I'll have a look into that, although I'm not too savvy on it either the second way you mentioned looks doable.

You don't need to modify the internal.pak file. It's probably best to leave that alone. Just create a new folder structure next to the internal.pk3 file - /internal/characters/hostile/enemy - and drop in the new sound files there. Reflex will use those files (as long as they are named correctly) instead of the default ones.

You might not even need to create the folder structure, but it's nice to have everything in order, so you can understand it if you ever come back to look.

p.s. Great update guys, I love the new jump sounds. The self suicide/death sound however, I'm not sure if it's bugged for me, or if it's supposed to sound a bit roboticly glitchy. Under heavy use in race mode last night, the first few miliseconds of the sound file sound repeated to me and jarring. But other people liked it.

6 minutes ago, bej said:

The self suicide/death sound however, I'm not sure if it's bugged for me, or if it's supposed to sound a bit roboticly glitchy. Under heavy use in race mode last night, the first few miliseconds of the sound file sound repeated to me and jarring. But other people liked it.

I haven't noticed that, but to my ears, this particular sound (the death sound; dunno if suicide is different) has way too much low end, making it louder than anything else.

You know, someone rocket jumping sounds like:

colorful-slinky-toy-600.jpg

I love you guys for adding a party system!

Greed likes this

That was quick. Nice update for all the mm ppl out there.

Request: After every update steam needs to download all maps again. Is it possible to change that in the future ?

Jaguar, bej and Yup like this

Imo writing "disconnect" in the console shouldn't remove you from the queue.

Also: please no auto-re-queue when a match ends.

1 hour ago, A. Benz said:

Also: please no auto-re-queue when a match ends.

Maybe as an option. Otherwise that'll be crazy annoying for players who enjoy playing more than just a single game, having to requeue after every game. Is it that onerous for you to disconnect?

Jaguar likes this

6 minutes ago, lolograde said:

Maybe as an option. Otherwise that'll be crazy annoying for players who enjoy playing more than just a single game, having to requeue after every game. Is it that onerous for you to disconnect?

It's just 2 clicks .. but.. proper UX would spare me the 2 clicks :D. and it actively works against the intention of having players chat etc. after a match, because you can get matched really quickly sometimes. So yeah.... auto-queueing seems odd at this point.

27 minutes ago, A. Benz said:

It's just 2 clicks .. but.. proper UX would spare me the 2 clicks :D. and it actively works against the intention of having players chat etc. after a match, because you can get matched really quickly sometimes. So yeah.... auto-queueing seems odd at this point

If it's 2 clicks for every game. This is not hard. It's basic arithmetic. You think that's more efficient for people who want to play multiple games to click twice after every game than a person who plays a single game and has to click twice after a single game? Furthermore, you have to ACCEPT a match. So if you don't accept, you don't play. So really it's 0 clicks for both in the current layout. 

Play duel > finish match > Wanna chat > queue pops up > decline cuz you wanna chat = queue popped for nothing/accept = intention of people fooling around after a duel is pointless. Also: I don't want to join a lobby server when queuing so why would i wanna stay on a server for queueing after a match instead of the menu, which I did the first time as well? 

Auto queue... OK... But don't force me to stay on a server to queue. It's horrible ux and I'm wondering why I even have to discuss this. 

Arguing about 2 clicks? Works the other way around as well. What's so hard about re-queuing? 

There's a reason all good mm systems work really similar when it comes to ux. Dunno why indie developers always have to go full hipster on this tbh. No offense. 

The only reason you want to do away with auto-queueing because sometimes you want to stick around and chat with players after a match? That's a weak argument. Auto-queue is superior for people who queue up for MM to play some games. Not chat.

57 minutes ago, A. Benz said:

intention of people fooling around after a duel is pointless.

You're putting the wagon before horse. The lobby system is so you can chat while you wait. Not the other way around. Not a place to chat and sometimes, whenever the mood captures you, decide to queue up for MM. There's other servers available (besides the MM ones) for you to sit around and chat with folks in. If you want to just duel and chat with the same player, play non-MM. 

55 minutes ago, A. Benz said:

Dunno why indie developed always have to go full hipster on this tbh. No offense. 

:rolleyes: 

Maybe make it so you can hit F3 (ready-bind) after mm matches to unready. So basicly you are on the lobby server but you aren't in the queue because you aren't ready / chat / take a break.

lolograde and Grybzt like this

2 minutes ago, furyaxsfigkjhn said:

Maybe make it so you can hit F3 (ready-bind) after mm matches to unready. So basicly you are on the lobby server but you aren't in the queue because you aren't ready / chat / take a break.

I also wouldn't mind this. Simply so I don't have to disconnect from the lobby just to go pee.

8 hours ago, lolograde said:

The only reason you want to do away with auto-queueing because sometimes you want to stick around and chat with players after a match? That's a weak argument. Auto-queue is superior for people who queue up for MM to play some games. Not chat.

You're putting the wagon before horse. The lobby system is so you can chat while you wait. Not the other way around. Not a place to chat and sometimes, whenever the mood captures you, decide to queue up for MM. There's other servers available (besides the MM ones) for you to sit around and chat with folks in. If you want to just duel and chat with the same player, play non-MM. 

:rolleyes: 

That's not my argument for the whole lobby server, but shooters. He said the intention was so people can chat after a game etc.

Edit: if you'd have actually read my post you'd also realize i don't ( !! ) want to stay on a server after a match.

( you can roll your eyes all you want, doesn't make me wrong. )

6 hours ago, A. Benz said:

That's not my argument for the whole lobby server, but shooters. He said the intention was so people can chat after a game etc.

I don't remember seeing shooter say that was the sole purpose of the lobby system ("so people can chat after a game"). Can you find that quote? It seems to me the purpose of the lobby system is to provide something for people to do while they wait for their matchThe key here is the the priority is the match, not the chatting. 

Anyhow, whether you want to stare at the menu or sit in a lobby chatting after a match, these are not great reasons to eliminate auto-queue. If you're not prepared to immediately play another match, you shouldn't be queued. If you'd rather look at the menus than chat/warmup in a server, you can press the ESC key on your keyboard and select any one of the nice menu options there to stare at.

Edited by lolograde

Why do you keep putting words in my mouth. I never said it's the sole reason. Ask shooter. 

And it seems you don't understand the issue anyways. So. W/e.

2 minutes ago, A. Benz said:

Why do you keep putting words in my mouth. I never said it's the sole reason. Ask shooter. 

I'm using your exact words. How am I putting words in your mouth? I don't need to ask shooter. It's obvious the lobby system is more than:

6 hours ago, A. Benz said:

He said the intention was so people can chat after a game etc.

Or...

16 hours ago, A. Benz said:

and it actively works against the intention of having players chat etc. after a match, because you can get matched really quickly sometimes.

Maybe by "etc." you're trying to say so people can chat and shoot around while they wait for their next match. If that's what you're trying to say, I totally agree. 100%. If you want to chat and shoot around and not play another match immediately, then you shouldn't be in the queue and you can remove yourself by canceling the next match or leaving the lobby which, according to you, is what you want to do:

7 hours ago, A. Benz said:

i don't ( !! ) want to stay on a server after a match.

Let me summarize your posts for you: 1) You don't want to play another match immediately and 2) you don't want to stay on a sever after the match. I have a great solution for you: Disconnect.  

11 minutes ago, lolograde said:

I'm using your exact words. How am I putting words in your mouth? I don't need to ask shooter. It's obvious the lobby system is more than:

Or...

Maybe by "etc." you're trying to say so people can chat and shoot around while they wait for their next match. If that's what you're trying to say, I totally agree. 100%. If you want to chat and shoot around and not play another match immediately, then you shouldn't be in the queue and you can remove yourself by canceling the next match or leaving the lobby which, according to you, is what you want to do:

Let me summarize your posts for you: 1) You don't want to play another match immediately and 2) you don't want to stay on a sever after the match. I have a great solution for you: Disconnect.  

'Auto queue... OK... But don't force me to stay on a server to queue.'

So..i'm at home now. So i'll explain a bit more, sorry if there was a misunderstanding and i wasn't clear enough.

So basically: we have an option that let's us OPT-IN to lobby servers, not OPT-OUT ( "will place you in a lobby server bla bla bla" ). Basically this option is for people that DON'T want to be on a server while searching, because of ingame-sounds etc. . Many people just want to alt-tab and do other stuff while searching.

So far, ok?

Now: why would you FORCE those players into an environment they didn't wanna be in to begin with by opting-out of the lobby-system? Doesn't make sense.

Auto-queuing is fine i guess, although it could lead to awkward situations where you actually didn't want to queue straight away and you have to decline a match that has been found to quick (what a glorious situation that'd be, right? one day...). But i doubt this would happen often, as most people would just disconnect while end-scoreboard.

So what if you kick people from servers after a duel, that haven't opt-in to the lobby-system? This would most likely result in 1 player staying at the server all by himself. Take from that what you want.

Real question would be: how many people actually use the lobby system since the update?

To sum up: auto-queuing -> alrighty. Force me to stay on server in order to auto-queue -> nope. Ofc you'd say "then disconnect and re-queue" .... ofc i could, but that's bad UX and if something should be avoided.... what if not bad UX.