Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
FireStarW

Anyone get reflex working in the latest versions of WINE?

14 posts in this topic

Very recently wine gained some preliminary DX11 (and by extension DX10) support, with a few games working ( https://www.wine-staging.com/news/2017-01-25-blog-vulkan-dx11.html

I installed wine-staging in playonlinux on Ubuntu 16.10 and while Reflex boots just fine, it seems the graphics in game are messed up.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/210878136114479114/277500172026642432/Screenshot_from_2017-02-04_13-05-06.png

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/210878136114479114/277500243459702794/Screenshot_from_2017-02-04_13-05-49.png

Has anyone else tried this and got better results? I installed wine for quake live but it'd be nicer if I could just play Reflex instead.

Edit: setting graphics to low makes SOME things render fine, however the mouse input in game is completely messed up

Edit2:mouse issues likely to do with Reflex wanting to do "raw input"

Furioness and ique like this

For me it runs on around 1/10th of my windows fps in wine 2. I got the same "dark lighting" problems that you seem to witness. Some maps work better than others + you can try switching dynamic lighting (For me some maps work better with and some do work better without it). I think wine dx11 support will improve in the near future so maybe give it a try again 2-3 months? I don't get those weird artifacts your stairs produce btw. It "feels" a little driver related. Are you on an amd gpu or are you using free drivers? Here are some examples i got using wine 2 rc4 (i think) and current nvidia drivers http://imgur.com/a/eQxrh on my 750Ti
At the moment it's not playable for me but I still use it on linux for plugin development.

I am using a Nvidia 750 Ti (378.09 driver) as well, did you figure out how to get mouse input to work in-game?

But yeah, wine support for DX11 is still being worked on, wine 2.1 just came out even.

2.2 is out now too. I need to get on this!

Edit: It works, somewhat, but my sound is completely bugged out. It's been ages since I tried installing something in wine, it's entirely possible I did something wrong. Will try more another day

Ok, messed with getting a manual wine install (had to solve some dependency hell for some reason on my borked system) and it looks terrible , but mouse works. Additionally after I went through all that, I booted up my playonlinux install for a graphic comparison (settings) and the mouse started working all of a sudden, no idea why.

Even with wine 2.2 the actual performance is still pretty bad though so it'll probably still be a while before it's actually playable.

@ique Sound works for me fine, maybe check if you have the 32-bit sound libs installed for pulse or alsa, whichever you're using, that fixed that issue when I had no sound.

Don't want to reply on the guide sticky, but have a related question: has anybody managed to download and run the dedicated server through wine without installing X11? I'd like to run a server on a VPS, but the docker image from the guide seems outdated and trying to run steamcmd in other wine containers resulted in a big number of errors and no server downloaded.

Any clues? I heard @/fragile managed to get it working, but I didn't manage to figure it out.

For the server:
I don't know about the docker container but running it with the standard wine cmd is just as straight as it gets. You don't need X11 for it. If you need any help pm me. Why do you want to use a docker image?

For the client:
I just used plain playonlinux, installed steam with it, choose the wine 2.1 staging and ran the thing in window mode with dynamic lights on. Currently it caps at 60 fps which is the refresh rate of my monitor (makes sense when it runs in window mode). But it's pretty much maxed out cpu wise i think so i get 1/4th of my windows reflex frame rate but it's playable (I still switch to my windows only for the game because playing with 60 vs 240 fps is still a big deal). There is a bug that prevents the ambient light to be displayed correctly (I just assume it's some kind of missing blending functionality currently missing in the dx 11 wine implementation which prevents the lightmap to be merged into the scene correctly but just an educated guess). Without dynamic light barely anything can be seen.
In the winecfg there are some overrides in the libraries section (guess it's from installing steam via play on linux)
* d3dx11_42 (native, builtin)
* d3dx11_43 (native, builtin)
* dwrite (disabled)
* gameoverlayrenderer (disabled)
If someone is interested I can make a small video of it but I don't really see a point to do so. I assume in most major distributions it should be as easy as installing playonlinux and a decent driver for your gpu, install steam via playonlinux and install the game.
At this point I would not recommend it though.

Sharqosity likes this

Thank you for your information @/fragile. I just got the game to run with your overwrites on wine-staging aswell. ( Before it would crash on startup. However i got a a black screen ingame ( outside from the menu ) and not as good as the results you are getting. ( I am using an NVIDIA card with the latest drivers ). I do not use the playonlinux backand but just wine-staging and winetricks. Could you please give additional information which additional components playonlinux did install ? Is your wineprefix 32 or 64 bit ?

Thanks a lot.
Thyriaen

@thyriaen it's x86 (32bit) wine 2.1. wine >2.1 produces some weird graphic glitches for me. It runs without anything else installed. (I tried installing dx11 via playonlinux and now even without dynamic lights some maps are playable).

Yep. It was on reddit some time ago and seems to be confirmed by a lot of people that it runs now.