shooter

Reflex 0.49.1

36 posts in this topic

Hey Lads,

This update includes several bug fixes + optimisations. It also includes the addition of a time penalty for leaving matchmaking games early.

We've had some feedback recently with regards to people leaving matchmaking games early. This ruins the experience for the other player. To combat this we've added a time penalty if you don't play your game the whole way through. The forfeit option is still there and should be used if you concede defeat. If you forfeit there is no time penalty.

Matchmaking Improvements:

• Can now only forfeit after > 2mins and losing by > +5points

• If you quit a game in progress, you now incur a time penalty.

• Leaving lobby no-longer removes you from MM queue

• Disconnecting from server no-longer removes you from MM queue

• If you disconnect from a MM game you were playing in, it will still remove you from MM queue

• Added MM spinning icon next to "Quick Play" to help show that MM queue is still going

• Timer says "Lobby" instead of "Warmup" when in lobby

• Detailed match results now sent to masterserver on end of game
  • Added new Russian server in Novosibirsk
  • Added new EU server in Berlin

Improvements:

• Added seconds to replay file name
  • Reduced suicide delay to 2 seconds (from 5) in race mode

Bug fixes:

• Fixed default bind for cl_replay_marker to be 'M'
  • UI now only informs you that leaving will count as a loss in a MM game if you're actually playing

• Fixed crash on command line +play blah.rep

• Fixed rich presense text to be correct when in lobby as party

• Fixed bug where party leaders would remain in queue when members left

Optimisations

• Fixed spatial coherency optimisation between player steps. should greatly reduce CPU load on client+server.

Cheers,

-- Shooter

Still waiting for a way to be able to play this in Africa :(

I mean, the playerbase here is probably way lower as most QL players from Africa I talk to say they prefer QL :L maybe they haven't properly tried Reflex yet?

discoMoose and NicholasWalters like this

2 hours ago, A. Benz said:

Disconnected in scoreboard and got stuck "connecting to lobby server".

Got something like that (but not sure). Was holded tab +scoreboard and then game ended, map changed and scoreboard become broke, or some like in this way. Check someone else about. 

This is nice that leavers now gets penalty, but still another way to broke a match. Them can just be afk all game or do shit like take no armors, play IC only and suicide if took armour (http://steamcommunity.com/id/ttygdfsdf/)

We are need reporting system for this kind of faggots (that trying to downrank for idk why, boosting accounts, smoorfing). It was not a problem before MM, cuz we are played with our mates, but with MM we are getting random peoples and can't do anything in this case except done game till end or forfeit (for not our fault).

So, CS:GO overwatch system with drops. Also good for possible future cheaters problem.

Pill_ and lolograde like this

10 hours ago, TornadoStorm said:

Still waiting for a way to be able to play this in Africa :(

I mean, the playerbase here is probably way lower as most QL players from Africa I talk to say they prefer QL :L maybe they haven't properly tried Reflex yet?

I'm in South Africa, with one other player that I personally know of. I'm trying to come up with an effective way of promoting it here, since I'd love a serious-casual community down here. 

I also think they might not have given Reflex the proper chance... people seem so impatient in general. I played a bit of QL the other day for the first time in yonks and after Reflex, it feels like driving a rusty old bus lol 

Also I want add one important think.
Often enough I can hear some like "devs are retarded" in many aspects of the game.

I understand that in real some small feature that for that peoples can look like ez to implement in real can take few weeks of hard work and instead better to realise another big one for same time (20/80 rule).
So, would be great to get some info how hard or how complex is game project. Like how many strings of code, how hard and unique is some algorithms, do u write "in face" or creating ground for future features, so u are wasting much time for something that look like easy but will do another harder stuff way faster after.
IMO, currently for core player base respect do devs equal to how game seems in that players eyes and do they wish to play ("game is shit, they never will done it, devs are dumb, ggbb").

6 minutes ago, Furioness said:

We are need reporting system

Would be nice. Or maybe rate the match itself? Thumbs up, thumbs down, or favorite. And this somehow be reflected against the player. Their opponents thumbs up/down % on matches is displayed alongside their ranking? If you have like 50 matches and below 10% positive rating, maybe you have some sort of penalty applied to your MM? Temp ban? 

Also, with upcoming match stats, it would be nice to be able to favorite matches and that be tracked somehow. That way, you can go back and find the replays identified with the favorite flag. 

Furioness likes this

6 minutes ago, lolograde said:

Would be nice. Or maybe rate the match itself? Thumbs up, thumbs down, or favorite. And this somehow be reflected against the player. Their opponents thumbs up/down % on matches is displayed alongside their ranking? If you have like 50 matches and below 10% positive rating, maybe you have some sort of penalty applied to your MM? Temp ban? 

Also, with upcoming match stats, it would be nice to be able to favorite matches and that be tracked somehow. That way, you can go back and find the replays identified with the favorite flag. 

what if player just playing for win in his awful for opponents style (like ic/rail/armor whoring or +back)?

and rage opponents will dislike all time.

Grybzt likes this

26 minutes ago, discoMoose said:

I'm in South Africa, with one other player that I personally know of. I'm trying to come up with an effective way of promoting it here, since I'd love a serious-casual community down here. 

I also think they might not have given Reflex the proper chance... people seem so impatient in general. I played a bit of QL the other day for the first time in yonks and after Reflex, it feels like driving a rusty old bus lol 

How about we make a steam group and invite all Reflex players in Africa to it? Maybe they didn't properly try it out because they had none to go against? It'll help us matchmake with each other :D

discoMoose likes this

1 minute ago, TornadoStorm said:

How about we make a steam group and invite all Reflex players in Africa to it? Maybe they didn't properly try it out because they had none to go against? It'll help us matchmake with each other :D

Good idea! I found  steam group for South Africa but I think one for Africa itself is much better - more people! Also if we make a new group we can try to keep it alive and growing. I definitely think having more people to play against will help new players :) 

TornadoStorm and Grybzt like this

Small addition about thumbs.
Let's call thumbs sum karma as on ESEA.

So, to get ban u will be need get or karma = -10, or -5 karma in a row of 10 games or in some proportion, so if player is raging whole day he will get negative karma in short time, if he is faggoting time to time - normally.
Then, player can change opponent karma for  sign*3*own_karma_coefficient that will calculate somehow (own_karma-15)/own_karma (question can player with karma coefficient below 0 vote or not).
And for sure (maybe vs top +back player downthumbed 3 dumb gays with high karma) need appeals option that will be reviewed by overwatch that will contain only extra-high karma players.
Downthumbings because unfun playstyle can be soluted by additional thumbing about fun or not fun matches. In MM some players plays for fun, another - for win. Like when forfunner getting rekt hard vs forwinner.

31 minutes ago, Furioness said:

what if player just playing for win in his awful for opponents style (like ic/rail/armor whoring or +back)?

and rage opponents will dislike all time.

That's unfortunately what comes with any rating/reporting system. Whether you rate the player or the match, either way, you will have situations like that where people rate/report things for petty reasons.They could also report every opponent they lose to.

I'd argue that rating the match (rather than the opponent) is less personal and may result in better use of the rating system. It won't be perfect but it'd be better than rating players. If I played a really annoying player (camps all game, +backs in every situation, etc.) but I felt the match was still good, I think I'd be more inclined to rate the match positively rather than the player. 

16 hours ago, shooter said:

Optimisations

• Fixed spatial coherency optimisation between player steps. should greatly reduce CPU load on client+server.

Anyone have any info on this? I did some tests with the profiler while running around on a few maps and also while playing some duels, but didn't notice any difference in terms of CPU.

lolograde likes this

Any chance on getting an updated roadmap, @shooter and @Electro? Everyone is wondering what station the HYPE TRAIN is heading to next. B)

There were some things delayed in current roadmap (movers, triggers, new particle effects, liquids, persistent match history, ability to upload community melee weapons [and skins?] to workshop) that I assume are still planned. Is Reflex coming out of "early access" with a 0.50 release update?! 

Jaguar, NicholasWalters and Grybzt like this

1 hour ago, lolograde said:

Any chance on getting an updated roadmap, @shooter and @Electro? Everyone is wondering what station the HYPE TRAIN is heading to next. B)

There were some things delayed in current roadmap (movers, triggers, new particle effects, liquids, persistent match history, ability to upload community melee weapons [and skins?] to workshop) that I assume are still planned. Is Reflex coming out of "early access" with a 0.50 release update?! 

I've been a quiet on this on purpose :) More info #soon

Flakx, Jaguar, kusumit and 3 others like this

1 hour ago, FlabCaptain said:

Anyone have any info on this? I did some tests with the profiler while running around on a few maps and also while playing some duels, but didn't notice any difference in terms of CPU.

To be fair it'll effect servers more (which are generally much lighter on CPU power than a desktop). It'll be more significant with a higher player count, and higher pings of said players.

lolograde, Grybzt and FlabCaptain like this

I've just gotten two time penalties for seemingly nothing. The second one after my opponent disconnects mid-game. I haven't even gotten close to the disconnect button in all my 5 games.

What?

EDIT: yo another time penalty after playing a game to completion. Am I not allowed to play more than 3 games or something? wtf

37 minutes ago, JeremyG said:

I've just gotten two time penalties for seemingly nothing. The second one after my opponent disconnects mid-game. I haven't even gotten close to the disconnect button in all my 5 games.

What?

EDIT: yo another time penalty after playing a game to completion. Am I not allowed to play more than 3 games or something? wtf

I can't see you on discord, can you shoot me a PM on there?

My main problem with the MM system is the amount of xp/rank gained for winning. It seems like you gain the same tiny amount of rank even when you completely decimate opponents who are the same rank as you. It almost seems like the MM system is designed for a game with a much, much larger playerbase. IMO this needs to be looked at, otherwise getting to "Prime Overlord" is going to take ages, especially with how few top tier players there are.

Oh, and also, Overlord and Prime Overlord sound like something a 13 year old would come up with. Why can't they just be called Master and Grandmaster?

Another suggestion: Your duel ranking should have some weight if you are still doing placement matches in team modes. Before this build I was ranked diamond in duel but still unranked in 2v2, and it teamed me with the 2nd best player on the server and we destroyed the other team. Not a fun experience for anyone.

2 minutes ago, Necrophag1st said:

My main problem with the MM system is the amount of xp/rank gained for winning. It seems like you gain the same tiny amount of rank even when you completely decimate opponents who are the same rank as you

I agree. I'd support a mixture of game outcome and scoreline calculating into the ELO gained/lost. Maybe a moderate boost if the scoreline is really disparate.

I wouldn't want scoreline to affect ELO too much because some games can be "close" but the scoreline does not reflect it. Also, if ELO is too affected by scoreline, then that creates bad incentives for playing a certain way. I think about someone who is losing and decides to hedge their losses rather than take risks in order to turn the game around.

Grybzt likes this