shooter

Reflex 0.49.1

36 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, Necrophag1st said:

My main problem with the MM system is the amount of xp/rank gained for winning. It seems like you gain the same tiny amount of rank even when you completely decimate opponents who are the same rank as you.

That'd ignore stylistic differences and also essentially punish a more defensive playstyle. Should just stay pure imo -- win, get points; lose, lose points.

ketku, A. Benz and Grybzt like this

3 minutes ago, Pill_ said:

That'd ignore stylistic differences and also essentially punish a more defensive playstyle. Should just stay pure imo -- win, get points; lose, lose points.

Would also make people +back like crazy when they are losing.

Furioness, Pill_, A. Benz and 1 other like this

the game is about winning or losing, not huge scorelines.

both 10-9 and 20-10 scorelines could be close games.

in addition to that, scores differences are hugely dependant on maps. on furnace, i'd even consider something like 40-15 almost an even game.

Pill_, FlabCaptain, Jaguar and 3 others like this

All true points.

My main point is that with so few top tier players in the game, how is anyone ever going to reach the upper ranks at all? When I was first ranked plat after placements I was matched with a low Gold player and didn't gain anything from beating him. I definitely don't gain any rank from beating Golds now that I'm Diamond, and if I do it's so small that I can't see the bar move. If my observation is correct then how does one ever expect to make it to Overlord/Prime Overlord with so few other top players to compete against and gain rank from? And doesn't that issue kind of render the rankings meaningless if the best players are struggling to attain their deserved ranks due to lack of competition?

Reaching the top ranks is only possible if the lower ranks are saturated with players, until then you'll just have to treat diamond or whatever as the maximum. Doesn't really matter what rank is displayed as long as you share that rank with players of equal skill level, does it.

10 minutes ago, seekax said:

Doesn't really matter what rank is displayed as long as you share that rank with players of equal skill level, does it.

Well, that's just the thing. 90% of my games are blowouts against players of "equal skill level" (according to the ranking system). I would actually argue that the only purpose the matchmaking system currently serves is a convenient method of finding opponents. The rankings are totally meaningless.

4 minutes ago, Necrophag1st said:

Well, that's just the thing. 90% of my games are blowouts against players of "equal skill level" (according to the ranking system). I would actually argue that the only purpose the matchmaking system currently serves is a convenient method of finding opponents. The rankings are totally meaningless.

There's only so much you can do with the limited amount of players we have. NA is particularly weak iirc.

1 hour ago, Necrophag1st said:

I figured as much. NA has always had less active players in any arena game compared to EU.

If Halo counts as arena, then I think at least we have that game on lockdown. 

BattleSnacks likes this

Another thing I just noticed; I was 1 game away from ranking up to Overlord, and then lost 2 in a row to other diamond players. For each loss my rank went down 1/4 bar, so I'm now at about 1/2 a bar of diamond. Is this intentional? Losing massive amounts of rank for losing to other players the same rank as you and yet only gaining a tiny amount from wins against players in the same ranking?

NicholasWalters likes this

2 hours ago, Necrophag1st said:

Another thing I just noticed; I was 1 game away from ranking up to Overlord, and then lost 2 in a row to other diamond players. For each loss my rank went down 1/4 bar, so I'm now at about 1/2 a bar of diamond. Is this intentional? Losing massive amounts of rank for losing to other players the same rank as you and yet only gaining a tiny amount from wins against players in the same ranking?

the system thinks you are 90% going to win, when you lose it punishes you harder

Jaguar likes this