Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jaguar

FFA and Quick Play/Matchmaking

18 posts in this topic

I'm hoping the devs would like to try a different system for quick play FFA games - I think it would be ideal to keep an FFA game going and let people join soon in. I really enjoy FFA and play it whenever I see a game going on, and I've tried playing FFA and instagib games using the new MM system - it is only ever three people (which is fine, that's a playerbase thing for now). The other night I had a three player FFA game, and afterwards we were all in the lobby afterwards (that is, the same server)... but we couldn't ready up to play again, and we couldn't vote for mutators.

I'd like to see how it would go if there is just an EU FFA game going on at any one time, like an official server, that people can quickly join if they go through the quick play option. Make it clear that it isn't ranked and there will be a big difference in player skill if necesssary, but I don't think people mind to be honest. I'd rather play with 7 other players and be at the bottom of the scoreboard than I would play with just two other players. The MM system is fantastic for duels and doubles and so on, but FFA and instagib, I think, need a different approach.

FFA is much, much more accessible than other modes for casuals and beginners, and is in fact a good introduction to the game mechanics, movement, weapons, aim, items and so on. I quite literally did this when I first started playing the game. It was only later on that I started to get interested in the 1v1 game. Hopefully the devs have statistics for who queues for what, and maybe they'll see people queuing for FFA and not getting a game for a long time.

So yeah, discuss? This is something I am a little concerned about right now.

Flakx, brandon, GoneM4d and 13 others like this

2 hours ago, Grybzt said:

Fully agree Quickplay should be separated from MatchMaking.

Quickplay should be drop in/out. Atm it's just better join empty server than use MM.

Yeah exactly, the MM system as it is really good I'm think, and has been successful. Duels, people are actually playing doubles, and it has got me some 3 player FFA and instagib matches so I for one am all for it. I would just like a separate quick play system for ffa and instagib, basically. Maybe it would also work for tdm and stuff. The times when an EU FFA server gets going like, early evening UK time, it tends to go on for hours. But it takes you and a friend to lurk in a server for a while to get it to start sometimes. Put it like this, if I see an FFA server going with at least one person in it - I join :D

Grybzt likes this

I'm shamelessly bumping this thread because I don't think it got the attention it deserves. I really think this is an issue. FFA was massively popular on release last night, particularly instagib (there was a 16/16 server in the EU for hours), and I really want a quick play system to make this even easier for new players. Those first few minutes with the game are critical!

37 minutes ago, Jaguar said:

I'm shamelessly bumping this thread because I don't think it got the attention it deserves. I really think this is an issue. FFA was massively popular on release last night, particularly instagib (there was a 16/16 server in the EU for hours), and I really want a quick play system to make this even easier for new players. Those first few minutes with the game are critical!

I have to shamelessly join the train on this. Current Casual MM situation is pretty bad. Very few people use because it's bad. Wait in queue for 5 minutes 3 people FFA is bizzare.

Proper Quickplay is what this game so desperately needs ..

I understand that the devs are reluctant for new players experience to be a potential stomping, but I do think FFA mitigates that, and the way I was talking about it just now in Discord is.... it's the turbo queue button for FFA. It's the player saying 'I don't mind playing with better players if it means I can play with more people'.

scar_tom and Grybzt like this

First of all, I'm a new player who first played the game on release - and I have a blast. :)
I really love this game but sometimes I struggle to find good matches.
As a new player I enjoy FFA. But the MM works too slow. Mapvoting takes too long, the matches are too short. Also I think it should be possible to play community maps in casual MM.
So I'm always looking for servers to play on. But the servers have a upper player limit of 8.
And that's my problem: Even on bigger maps (e.g. Hieratic) I can't have any fun with that amount of players. Everything feels chaotic.
I think FFA should be about 4-5 players. Or even just 3 on very small maps.

Just my opinion. :)

Sry for mistakes, english is not my native language.

Duck likes this

In my opinion quckplay for ffa modes should just redirect you to a commmunity server which has good ping, some people playing and maybe no mutators. Matchmaking for team modes should be completely different. I think it would be nice if people weren't able to check 1v1 modes and team modes at the same time. Because if you check duel (and most people always do) it always seems to be the priorized mode -> few team games

I accidentally made a post with almost this exact topic. But yeah

15 hours ago, Duck said:

I think you shouldn't queue for casual modes. You should just click a button and it sticks you in a server that's already going.

I actually agree with duck here. Reflex doesn't have enough players to sustain splitting players between different servers for casual games. Putting people into already existing casual mode games would really make the game seem more alive.

NicholasWalters, Jaguar and Grybzt like this

Hi, first time playing since match making was added. I did find getting into an FFA game and then having all the players booted once time ran out to be jarring. Just my own opinion but I would have preferred being put onto an active server midmatch and be able to stay across maps.

Grybzt, brandon, scar_tom and 4 others like this

5 hours ago, grayman222 said:

Hi, first time playing since match making was added. I did find getting into an FFA game and then having all the players booted once time ran out to be jarring. Just my own opinion but I would have preferred being put onto an active server midmatch and be able to stay across maps.

Thanks for posting :) I am sure there are plenty of others like yourself who would prefer this too!

scar_tom likes this

While MM is good they should do what current modern fps do. Lock them out of MM until they reach a of say 10 only then they are allowed to partake in the actual MM. Additionally if player is new he should be matched up from Bronze-> Overlord and not starting from gold+ how it currently is. We gotta ease players in to it and not stomp the fuck out of them. Because this is not dark souls where everything resets and player can have another quick go after death.

NicholasWalters likes this

8 minutes ago, GoneM4d said:

While MM is good they should do what current modern fps do. Lock them out of MM until they reach a of say 10 only then they are allowed to partake in the actual MM. Additionally if player is new he should be matched up from Bronze-> Overlord and not starting from gold+ how it currently is. We gotta ease players in to it and not stomp the fuck out of them. Because this is not dark souls where everything resets and player can have another quick go after death.

I personally would advise against this with the current system, as the community really isn't big enough to justify this need. I feel like the "quickplay casual mm" idea would better serve this purpose.

Jaguar likes this

8 hours ago, GoneM4d said:

IMO new players should just start on bronze level and earn they level up, 95% of new players who never played arena fps would be bronze anyway, or silver at best.Now they are forced to play 10 random matches vs random level players and almost all 10 matches almost guarantee will be stomps,bad start for new guys and reviewers.

1 hour ago, NicholasWalters said:

bad start for new guys and reviewers.

In all honesty, if somebody gets stomped in an arena fps for ten games and then gives it a bad review, then they should not be allowed to become a reviewer in the first place.

Auto bronze won't work very well for exactly the same reason - vets will have to pummel through new players anyway. Sure, this at least disperses the pummeling, but I think losing these couple games will make them appreciate their wins more later. And let's stop treat newcomers like special snowflakes already, if they aren't prepared to lose, then they won't stick around anyway (vide Tim Willits' comment on fifteen losers in an FFA game). You can make it less of a 'get rekt' experience of course, but putting too much emphasis on that will have a much different effect.

I would also love a quick match mode , and ,

15 hours ago, yakcyll~ said:

In all honesty, if somebody gets stomped in an arena fps for ten games and then gives it a bad review, then they should not be allowed to become a reviewer in the first place.

Maybe have the QuickMatch mode unlock after you go through some parts of the tutorial, or something that would show intent on getting invested in the game , just an idea , hope others can fine tune it or come up with something else , but a quickmatch/FFA mode would be great! 

yakcyll~ likes this