shooter

Announcing the Reflex Arena launch date!

74 posts in this topic

Have to say I'm extremely happy reflex is launching, and so soon!:)Awesome work TBP. The competitive point system sounds awesome :D. Bye bye bastion meta! 

Electro and Yasashii like this

Congratulations and thankyou. I've been mighty impressed with how you, a small team of devs, have dealt with us .. the Motley crew. Great job and I hope there are many more great things to come. Looking forward to those bots.

Yasashii, Electro, Jaguar and 2 others like this

3 hours ago, marc said:

Great news! Are Linux dedicated servers released with it?

And Linux client

22 hours ago, matt_au said:

Congratulations guys! I took a longish break after getting stressed out by some community-related stuff, but I'm looking forward to getting stuck in again. I hope anyone else who loves the game but hasn't been playing recently does the same thing -- let's make the 1.0 launch as big and as welcoming as possible!

P.S. In that picture the top of the wrench looks like a dinosaur head (in a good way).

ILY matt

Looking forward to playing you when you come back :)

matt_au likes this

22 hours ago, Electro said:

Yep! Processing step for them to calculate then they'll be able to play. So many map cases to try cater for but they'll get improvements as tricky spots come up more :)

No manual placement required, although we have simple links that can be placed to help with some trickier spots that aren't automatically detected.

We're hoping they're a good start, we have pretty high standards and a LOT of foundations are in place with them. 

Bots for race maps when?

would be nice to see a proper UI for each mode in default

remember the current one being pretty useless in team modes etc.

capo likes this

Cool, nice upcoming release but there are so many issues that are not fixed or addressed yet and people just seem to be happy that the game is being released in few days. I am not going to sweet talk the developers and would rather stay skeptical towards the subject of the game release. If I'm wrong about any of the points I make in this post, feel free to tell me so I can either remove the point or rephrase it. 

List of major issues:

Sound system: I don't have to elaborate on it, everyone knows it's completely fucked and a placeholder. It's been said numerous of times by you guys (since 2015) that you are planning on working on a proper sound system from the very beginning of 2016. It's fucking 2017 already. I get it, there are other things you need to focus on doing but implementation of sound system is vital for everyone as a player before releasing the actual game. Again, if that's going to come with the release, great! 

UI: This shit hasn't been developed for any modes despite duel. New users either don't know about widgets, how they work and/or are forced to download them, which shouldn't be the case. Whenever you decide to play ATDM, CTF, TDM or any team mode game, new players are forced to use the same UI that has been designed for duel. The easiest fix for that is if you don't have enough time, make Qualx's hud the default one as it fits all the game modes (if I'm not mistaken). 

Leaderboards: I know you said you will be releasing leader boards but you haven't elaborated whether it's only going to be for duels or all game modes such as Race, ATDM, TDM, CTF etc. 

Maps: It would be great to see more official maps for ATDM, TDM and CTF. I am aware a lot of people are working on them at the very moment, polishing them gameplay wise as well as art wise but I personally don't think we have enough maps for the new players to choose from. 

In-game Tutorial: Fairly disappointing. There is no direct approach and mode of address to the new players as they are only put in a room made full of boxes where there is also no art. There is no narrator who would be so much better than the text in the middle of the screen. It feels super-rushed. There is enough people in the community who are willing to redesign the tutorial map and probably do a voice over. It's all in your reach guys, you just have to ask for it. 

Push to talk: Where's the in-game push to talk? It would benefit the AFPS genre so much instead of using binds for team modes or any modes for that matter. It's time to get out of the 1999. 

Also, the kickstarter supporter weapon. Really? I would have thought you would put more effort into actually creating a custom weapon for all the supporters to make it unique rather then using already made wrench but making it gold. Not a lot of people care about cosmetics but if you really want to show your gratitude to people that supported your project since .25 untill .50, you should have made something a lot more special. 

P.S. This is directly to @Necrophag1st "To everyone saying it's too early for full release - do you really think they'd be dumb enough to wait even longer and risk competing with Quake Champions and Diabotical?" Dude, do you really think it would make difference for Reflex? I am not trying to sound rude but rather reasonable. Both QC and Diabotical have more than 10 people working on the game with resources that allow them to create a game full of features. Whether Reflex would be released now or in couple of months, I highly doubt that it would make any difference to its playerbase. There is no competition, not even slight competition between Reflex and QC/Diabotical. This is not Shooter's or Erectro's fault, it's purely the people and resources that they are lacking. 

Posted (edited)

@wh1te, the only one of those I'd call "major" is the sound and, even then, it's not "completely fucked". It certainly is less than ideal, but I can still hear what's going on. The issues are fairly subtle and not glaringly obvious to 90% of players. 

The rest are minor/petty. And I totally disagree about maps. The game is ready to go on this front. There's fucktons of maps and, like the devs have already said, the maps will rotate with the seasons. And people will continue making solid maps. It's just a question of how those maps make it into the MM map pool. 

DB and Reflex are direct competitors. Both are indie titles. DB does have more resources from their KS but certainly not enough to make it any more than an indie title. QC is in a entirely different league from both DB and Reflex. If you think DB is a direct competitor of QC, I gotta ask, what are you smoking?! QC is coming from a big studio, and has a multi-million dollar budget. Even 2GD, as much of an arrogant ass as he is, probably cannot say, with a straight face, that DB is going to seriously compete with QC. QC will have tens of thousands of players out of the gate for no other reason than it has the name "Quake" in its title.

However, @Necrophag1st makes a perfectly valid point. Once DB and QC are released, there's naturally more competition for players. That's irrefutable, common sense. So this is a smart move for Turbo Pixel and it's well-timed, too, because I do feel Reflex is ready. There's some minor things I -- as someone who has played AFPS for 10+ years -- would like to see but for most new players jumping into Reflex (or AFPS) for the first time should feel they have lots to do, lots of options, and lots of fun to be had. If Reflex can get some good marketing, it will be in a good position to not only build a good player base but also be the alternative to QC.

Right now, all DB has going for it is a lot of style -- seems like there's no substance there yet. And if they're hoping to compete with QC on the basis of how fancy/cool it looks, that's going to be really tough given that QC probably has 10x the number of artists/animators working on it.

Edited by lolograde
Grybzt, Electro and Menno like this

From my rough calculations, Reflex earned more money from sales in Early Access than Diabotical's Kickstarter campaign raised. Of course it is quite probably that the 2GD Studio/2GD himself is funding development as well. They might even have an investor, I don't know.

Electro likes this

13 minutes ago, Jaguar said:

From my rough calculations, Reflex earned more money from sales in Early Access than Diabotical's Kickstarter campaign raised. Of course it is quite probably that the 2GD Studio/2GD himself is funding development as well. They might even have an investor, I don't know.

410k+ to be exact. But then again, it has been released since 2014, whereas Diabotical hasn't been released and raised 160k in 3 - 4 days. Once it goes on steam, more people will buy it and I can guarantee you that it will make more money than Reflex. My point is, Diabotical has enough money and manpower to create a game that has more features already and is a lot more polished than Reflex. Also, @lolograde I was not comparing Diabotical with QC at any point in my post, I said that Reflex will not be able to compete with either one. Moreover, you would be surprised about Diabotical, the stuff that James is showing on stream is just small bits to show the community that they are constantly working but there's a lot more than that done already. If I were to say which game is more finished at this moment right now, Diabotical is far ahead of the game. That's the reality.
Another concern of mine is the fact that Shooter and Erectro do not know where they are going with the gameplay. @Ramagan's ruleset is really good for MM but it seems like devs think they know better from what I heard. 

"There's fucktons of maps" yeah, there is FUCKTONS of maps that have no fucking art whatsoever, do you really think it will appeal to the wider audience? No. Unfortunately, people nowadays look at graphics and if they don't like solid colors without any meshes or anything, they will easily drop the game. I constantly see people referring to Reflex as an fps Minecraft because they don't see enough of visually nice maps being produced in Reflex. 

If stunning art is the primary factor that brings someone to Reflex, then most of such people will be swiftly disappointed. I personally don't think it's necessary to bring people to the game in whatever ways. Good marketing, which involves showing how playing the game can be fun, will do the trick.

capo likes this

2 hours ago, wh1te said:

If I were to say which game is more finished at this moment right now, Diabotical is far ahead of the game. That's the reality.

??????????

The last time I checked (which was the end of January) the game was filled with placeholders and the streams consisted of concepts and ideas of what they will do. Almost nothing was finished. I don't see how you could argue otherwise.

Yasashii and ketku like this

I don't think Diabotical and Reflex are going to compete much anyway. As far as new players are concerned, more exposure for AFPS in general brings more people into both games. No need to be salty. Keep on 'flexin.

Kyto, KovaaK, Jaguar and 2 others like this

6 hours ago, D-X said:

What about free weekend after release ?More people will know about this game 

Need more elo to grab >:D

D-X, lolograde, S°I and 3 others like this

Congrats on making it over that release hurdle devs.

Happy to see all the work that has been done, keep it up!

An inactive day 1 support buyer.  :ph34r:

Jaguar and lolograde like this

Release day!! Let's all meet on the servers this evening -- or is the release some time on the 8th in US/Euro timezones? 😿

lolograde likes this